2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
So far so good
By L. Mazza on 02/17/08 09:53 AM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

After driving an X5 for 4 yrs I decided to buy a fuel efficient vehicle. The Passat is awesome in this category. The car is fun, fast and elegant. As far as durability, it is too new to rate it. So far however, I am very happy.

Ride on
By Ride on on 01/14/08 01:44 AM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Komfort 4dr Sedan w/Prod. End 01/08 (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I drove multiple other cars in this segment. Chose the Passat after driving Honda, Nissan, Dodge, Mercedes and Cadillac. This car has similar or more features for thousands less. Being a large person- 6'5, 230lbs- the interior amazes at its roominess. I stayed away from the nav system (mixed reviews), and find the rest of the controls are very intuitive and easy. Build quality rivals any of the others, Japan or European. Mileage very adequate- averaging 25mpg since purchase. A little road noise is noticed at speed, but nothing unmanagable, or unable to be overcome by the fantasic sound system.

What you should know
By ryan on 01/11/08 17:25 PM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Lux 4dr Sedan w/Prod. End 01/08 (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Driven this vehicle for over 10,000 miles and no problems. It is fun to drive; excellent acceleration, well mannered at high speeds (over 100 mph), handles great, and gets excellent gas mileage. Averages 27-30 miles per gallon on my commute and gets 32 or better on the highway. Interior is roomy, comfortable, instruments are well positioned, and there are many many upgrades. It does use premium gas and synthetic oil. So the maintenance costs are a little higher. It's worth it because this vehicle is fun to drive. I thought this is a great alternative to a Honda, Toyota, Infiniti, BMW, or Volvo. This has been my favorite vehicle so far for the price.

Excellent and Fun Family Sedan
By ST on 01/09/08 17:31 PM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan w/Prod. End 01/08 (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

The car handles very well for a large sedan. The 2.0 Turbo is suprisingly spirited, especially if you like to play with a manual transmission. Fuel economy is not sacrificed, I've been able to average 31-32 MPG over the daily 164 mile commute. Stopping power and cornering are very good, some road noise makes it into the cabin, but not nearly enough to be bothersome. Feedback through the suspension is good enough that road conditions are evident, but the ride is quite comfortable.

LOVE VWs
By vwanted215 on 12/31/07 17:26 PM (PST)

I'm still young and my last car was a 2001 vw gti vr6 which was fast and luxury, I decided to grow up and try the new passat. I was a little cautious getting into a big sedan from a coupe, but this car has power, comfort, performance and a gorgeous look. I have it fully loaded and wouldn't have it any other way. It's a german engineered car made to perform and for it to perform it needs good fuel... with that said the car is great and so was my last VW so I plan to stick with them.

A really nice car.
By hsm on 11/27/07 11:25 AM (PST)

This car is fun to drive, safe, and well built. Handles wonderfully on the highway or around town. Tiptronic is a unique and useful feature, especially in snow. Traded in an '03 GL and '04 GLS. Both nice cars. This vehicle is more comfortable and roomy. Interior takes some time to appreciate. Old style was simple and clean looking.

2nd Passat in our garage
By Vdubtx on 11/13/07 09:35 AM (PST)

We just picked up a 2nd Passat. Our other is a 2007 luxury model. Great prices on the car with a maximum bang for buck. Stated fuel economy is only 28 on highway. I regularly get 32 with cruise at 65. I have driven Passats since 1998 when they came out with their redesign and have not been without atleast one since then. I love them for the fun driving and the great looks.

By Yolanda on 11/07/07 15:28 PM (PST)

I had a 2002 Jetta with 59,000 miles on it and the performance was great, able to handle the highway without loosing any grip. I bought a 2008 Passat Lux. I needed leg room and performance with an economy niche to it. This Passat is better looking than the Lexus. I have received more compliments on this vehicle style, color, and performance. I needed a good running car with a slight luxury texture that is not expensive in maintenance. VW designed the perfect car for me. Thanks VW.

Great car!
By Eric on 10/10/07 19:54 PM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan VR6 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I've had my Passat for only a week but it's a great car! It's fun to drive, has ample space in the rear seat (teenagers), gets good mileage and is substantially less than other European cars its size. It's definitely the deal of the decade! The only nitpicky thing I don't like is a little hesitation upon hard acceleration. Other than that, the car is great.

Better than expected.
By Jascha on 09/27/07 19:43 PM (PDT)

She has the road presence of a car twice its price. The manual tranny squeezes every last horse out of this 4-banger and I love the pickup in 2nd & 3rd gear. I drove 918 miles so far, within the last week and there are only a few complaints: 1) The ESP is weird. I usually drive with it off. The mechanical components of the car usually sort out skids and slips just fine for experienced drivers. 2) The auto-hold function needs some getting used to. I stalled the engine twice before I noticed the throttle needs to be floored in order to move. 3) I dislike the fact that there is no km/h display on the speedometer. 4) Vmax = 130. Which blows.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.