Used 2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

best sedan for the money
By Irfan

2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Wife's car. Drives beautifully, specially on curves. accelerates like a beast. better than most V6s. braking system is excellent. rear AC vents a plus. adequate leg room in the back, as we have a car seat with a 21 month old. Excellent cruise control. Trip computer is very cool and intuitive. In door umbrella holes are nice. Triptronic feature is very cool but auto is easier. Sound system not the best but we got the cheap base system. metal reinforced back seat. Cannot get a "semi-luxury" german engineered sedan for a better price.

Favorite Features

Steering, turbo charged engine purs, road feel, not too stiff like BMWs. Push key start. pinchless windows.

Suggested Improvements

eye scorching glare from the gear shift decorative thingy! We are thinking of putting elmo stickers on it!. Annoying "graded" volume control on base sound system.

so far, so good
By athena

2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I bought my used Passat Base model 2 weeks ago. Drove a van since 1989. Love my Passat. It looks great, drives and handles really well. Good gas mileage, especially on the highway. Bumps are sometimes a little hard. Seats are very comfy. Loads of space and leg room in the rear. Wish more features were standard instead of optional. Good sound system too. So far, so good!

Favorite Features

Nice handling and drive. Attractive car. Good gas mileage. Lots of interior space, even in rear seat. Lots of storage for a car. Comfortable seats. Hope it's good in the snow!

Suggested Improvements

Smoother ride over bumps. More standard features. No LED time showing for passengers unless radio is on. Windshield in Base model doesn't have tinted strip at top to filter sunlight. No fog lights, no heated seats.

2008 VW Passat Turbo Sedan Manual
By vwenthu

2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Its been 18 months that I purchased this beauty and I am still as excited about it when I bought it. I was a bit skeptical about VW's reliability so it took me a while to post this review. I am extremely glad I made a great choice. Was tempted to buy Acura TSX but the looks, standard features (luxury options in other cars), roominess sold me completely. I couldn't believe that I have the base trim that comes with most of the luxury features you would like in your car. Not to mention the compliments you get.. You should definitely put Passat on top of your list if you want to have spirited and fun driving and euro handling.

Favorite Features

Manual tranny, Fuel economy 27 MPG in city, Leatherette, V6 like acceleration, Comfort, Heated seats, Aesthetic interior design.

Suggested Improvements

Offer manual transmission across all trims or consider providing options to Manual transmission drivers like sunroof,steering wheel mounted audio controls.

Good so far
By carnut

2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Komfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Have 13k miles on it and so far no problems. It's our first VW and was a little hesitant with other bad reviews of corky problems with VW's. Early on had the tire pressure light come on with no tire pressure problems. Also, started it one cold morning and ran really rough, turned it off, let it sit 10 min and no problems since. Did a lot of shopping and this was the best lease out there. $406/mo - zero dollars down out the door, 10k mi/yr 15K dollar residual 36mo lease. Looking back I would go with the sport package (different seats, climate, wheels & brakes).

Favorite Features

The gas mileage and power. Nice having good mpg's with the 4cyl engine while having the turbo when you want speed. Also, we use the rear window visors for our son all the time!

Suggested Improvements

None so far.

3 rd passat
By robert knowles

2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Lux 4dr Sedan w/Prod. End 01/08 (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

2001 passat 1.8 2004 passat 1.8 2008 passat 2.0 This is the car. the 2008 2.0 litre turbo..The powertrain is amazing. Cruise at 70mph/30- 32mpg.. depending on terrain. The 2.0 litre turbo.. great acceleration..plenty of power on hills... especially on 1-84..pa/ny.... must use 5w40 synthetic and change oil every 3500 miles.. discard stock tires.. use Dunlop winter sports 3d... simply brilliant auto.. thanks vw

Favorite Features

SUPER ENGINE/TRANSMISSION...TIPTRONIC..

Suggested Improvements

better radio reception from the glass embedded radio