Used 2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

Oil Burner
By jimmydean

2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Komfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I have driven this car 10,000 miles now. Changed the oil at 5,000 miles. At 9,200 miles the Stop Engine light comes on while driving. Check the stick and the engine was bone dry. Check engine light never came on. Brought to dealer and told it is normal to burn a quart every 1k miles. Dealer will not admit to engine problem. Now doing "oil consumption study". At 10,100 miles has burned another quart of synthetic oil. What kind of company is VW if it will not fix problems when presented with one. I feel totally ripped off having bought this lemon.

Suggested Improvements

Dealer should own up to problems.

Love this car!
By lori

2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Komfort 4dr Sedan w/Prod. End 01/08 (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I have had my Passat for 2 1/2 years now and I just love it. The car is fun to drive, has a ton of get up and go, is great on gas and I can't say how many compliments I get on the looks. I have the upgraded tires/rims and the car is extremely sporty with a grown up look. I just turned 20,000 miles without a problem. The paddle shifter is fun for sport driving and the turbo lets this baby move! I highly recommend this car!

Burns Oil
By rrosborough

2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I bought my Passat brand new off the show room floor. I was thrilled to have this car. It looked good, ran good, and for the first 50,000 miles I didn't have any problems. Then I began to realize that it burns oil ridiculously. I took it in to have the dealership run an oil consumption test, and of course they said it was fine. Told me it burns 1qt of oil for every 1,200 miles. So I had the option of not driving my car as much, getting oil changes sooner, or just plain ol adding oil. Either way it really sucks. Took the joy of my car away from me. I'm pleased with it, but I don't like having to keep up with the oil consumption, adding oil, or changing oil more frequently.

Great Car....
By kaperej

2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Komfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Overall this is a really good German Engineering...although this Passat doesn't get the best MPG or is the cheapest it is the best for your money. The overall quality is very good and will last along time. The two years we have had our Passat we have only had one big issue. The engine cam had shattered and at high RPM..This costed $2700 and Volkswagen knew it was a problem but refused to pay for it. Other than that it has been a great car.

Favorite Features

Great build quality...The 2.0L Turbo engine.

Suggested Improvements

Make the engine more powerful

Love my Passat!!!!!
By tiffanyrenee

2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Komfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I bought my White, Passat 2.0T Komfort in 2011 used with 49, 000 miles. I had an oil consumption problem at first. I had to add oil every 500 to 600 miles but the VW dealership ran three oil consumption test found that there was a problem and fixed it. Other than some other recalls I am now at 83,000 miles and love the ride. I keep up the maintenance, bought new tires, new brake and rotors, and I am good to go. Did I say I love this car? I do.