Used 2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Consumer Reviews - 92 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

Best for me!
By Bob S.

2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan VR6 4Motion 4dr Sedan AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I needed an "all wheel drive" vechicle and I have tried and dislike SUV'S. Very few options in this category under $40K; various Subarus, Infinity G35, Audi A4. I drove the Passat and was convinced it was my best choice with a comfortable cabin, more than adequate passenger space, and great performance. Goes through the snow and handles bad drivimg conditions with ease. Actually fun to drive in the snow. The V6 has a nice low toned growl, like a well trained and tuned muscle car, and the 280 H.P. is strong through all 6 gears. For a relatively large car the all wheel drive handling is superb. What more can I say, if you like to drive, need comfort, space, and all wheel drive, give her a go!

Great seats, engine, handling, 6 speed "auto" transmission, and all wheel drive system. Superior engineering for a reasonable price!

Some road noise from 18" tires. I was told that the Pirelli tires are to blame, I'll find out when they need replacing.

Perfection! Except to the LED lights.
By poloz

2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I bought it used with 25,000 miles on it as a 1 year old vehicle for under $15k. I love to drive it as it is both comfortable and sporty. Great ride and I would buy it again in a heartbeat. Just get ready to put Premium Fuel in it. I have no problem doing that as it gets close to 600 miles per tank and averages 32 highway. The only flaw is with the Exterior Design. If you live where is snows, the taillights will get completely covered by snow as they are LED and don't heat up at all, as I recently discovered in a blizzard. That can be scary. I'll just have to move out of the snowbelt because this car is worth it. GET ONE!

Stereo (ipod adapter in the arm rest), seats, whisper quiet cabin, huge trunk, ok I love it all!

Do something with the rear LED lights as snow builds up on them quickly.

Far better than the competition
By vroom

2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan w/Prod. End 01/08 (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

My base model 2008 Passat is amazing. The seat is comfortable for my bad back, and there's plenty headroom (I'm tall). The car is reliable and a blast to drive: precise, responsive, and quick, especially using the auto-manual mode. For my $$, Passat is far superior to Accord, Camry, Altima, Fusion, Outback, Volvo, Mazda and yes, Malibu, all of which I've test driven or rented. Edmunds is wrong about Passat not being price competitive with Japanese cars. To get a comfortable seat & decent interior in an Accord requires an EX, which costs thousands more than the base Accord. The (unadjustable) lumbar "support" in the base Accord felt like a brick in my back. Ditto Camry.

Everything. You don't need a V6, unless you like the way 6 looks on the trunk.

Make more Passats with manual transmissions. Make more Passats without the sunroof. Make the gear shift plate more matte, so it doesn't glare.

Burning oil
By brandon

2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Lux 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Beautiful car. I like almost everything about it. The HUGE exception to this is the fact that it is a new car with 28k miles and it burns crazy amounts of oil!! VW is not inclined to do anything about it. This is a common problem. VW claims it is normal for this car to burn almost 1 qt of oil per 1,000 miles.

Stand behind your cars, VW. When you have a faulty product, FIX IT!

German Engineering
By TedH

2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Komfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

A pleasure to drive. Powerful performance and precise responsive handling. Very safe automobile as proven by a 2000 Golf TDI that was totaled after I drove it home. Wife wanted a trunk, so it was a Passat. We love this car. 3rd VW in a row and payments remain same as the first thanks to the great resale value. I get about 32 mpg on the hwy and around 22-24 in town. Get one, you'll love em! Only thing I don't like is the $75 Oil changes. Go VW!

Awesome drivetrain. 7 or 8 way seats Roominess Style

Make a front center console/armrest to match the rest of the quality of the car. Console Armrest Assy stinks. If you lean on it to adjust your position, it will fall off it's ratchet mechanism. Cheap compared to any of the rest of the car.