2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Consumer Reviews 5

2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
Camry? Why?
By Macaroon on 10/23/08 18:29 PM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I've always loved Passats, and owned 2 1993 VR6/GLX, a wagon for my wife and a sedan for me. I went to my dealer to check out the GTI 5-door (I've been saying for years they needed one), but ended up driving off in this black beauty. Same engine/trans as the GTI make it nearly as fun to drive, but I got a proper grown-up car with a huge back seat for $5K less! I used to sell Toyotas, and there is no contest between this and a Camry (except, perhaps, in the long-term cost of ownership -- but with a 3 yr lease, who cares?) Hands down, the Passat hammers the stuffing out of the Camry! This car is simply WAY more: comfortable, feature-rich, fun to drive, fuel efficient and attractive.

this is why people prefer german cars
By mike on 10/10/08 20:08 PM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Komfort 4dr Sedan w/Prod. End 01/08 (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

As compared to my Lexus 350 AWD, Passat is quiet, responsive ,and fast. I was slightly disappointed about the fuel mileage which is as high as the Lexus has. Also a squeak from the sun visor when it is placed on side window annoys a little. A/C was not cool enough when it is really hot outside. Overall, I like this car, and am thinking about buying another one next time.

Great So Far!
By Cvance on 09/22/08 11:47 AM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Lux 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This is my third VW, first Passat. I really enjoy this car. The parking assist is really nice. I am a lazy parker now. My dealer told me that I could use regular unleaded, and I do. No complaints about performance. Rain sensing wipers can be finicky. I really have no major complaints. I get compliments on the car and ride. I am pleased.

Excellent Choice
By Darblake on 09/13/08 19:07 PM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan VR6 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Traded an 02 BMW X5 and at this point, mind you it's been 3 days, couldn't be happier. The feel of this vehicle will rival any other German made car on the road. The ride is a little rougher than the X5, which is ironic for a car vs SUV comparison, but you "feel" the road which makes the drive that much more enjoyable. Having driven it to work, for the past 3 days, I have put a total of 205 miles on it and am still above 1/2 tank of gas. Nice bonus considering the price per gallon. The features/amenities are definitely high end. Originally a little hesitant about making the switch but the quality/ performance eliminated that.

European Value
By John K on 09/13/08 09:32 AM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

The absolute best driving car at this price point! European handling in a car around $25,000 with V- tech seating surface that looks and feels like leather! Quick acceleration at all speeds. Incredible MPG on the highway trips. With 3200 miles on the car I am already getting over 33 mpg. Interior controls well designed and thoughtfully placed. This car also is solid and performed extremely well in crash tests. This engine is the same one found in the Audi A-4 and is completely flawless. This car far exceeds its peer groups of Honda Accord, Toyota Camry, not to mention all Amer. cars in that midsized class. Plus if you had to add leather seating for durability it would cost you more.

Great car! Very fun to drive!
By wisklw on 08/26/08 21:53 PM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Lux 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

My last vehicle was Volvo XC90 and last 4 vehicles all were Volvos, which I loved but based on offers, looked at other options. Test drove an Accord and Passat. The Passat was more comfortable and interior was nicer and I preferred exterior look. I love the car. I really liked my XC90, but I don't find myself missing it at all because I like my Passat so much. Handles great and like the feel of the steering and braking, feels very smooth. Like the Multi Function display, esp that shows radio station so don't have to look to side. I've received a lot of compliments. The park assist is great as is the auto hold but i forget to use it. Big car but does not feel like it when you drive it.

This VW likes to spend time in the shop.
By Oldguy10 on 08/21/08 23:24 PM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan w/Prod. End 01/08 (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I always wanted one of these Passats having heard much about their value. The value must be with the way the dealership keeps their hand in your pocket for repairs. Things started out fine till the first repair of the transmission slipping. Then it started leaking oil from a gasket. At first maintenance, found out the air filter was missing. Normally these bugs are corrected in earlier models, but I was more than nickeled and dimed to death with the heavy repair bills that weren't covered under warranty. It sat for a week at a airport and the battery ran down, but it was winter and battery was dead so the doors wouldn't even unlock with the fob.

What a ride!
By Komforter on 08/19/08 21:29 PM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Komfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Test drove a new Hyundai Genesis. It was nice and luxurious but not very exciting to drive. Test drove the 2009 Acura TSX. It has lots of gadgets but had very hard/uncomfortable seats and the back lights on everything were a very dull looking gray like driving an old black and white TV (blah)! I test drove a 2008 Malibu. Very nice with tons of extras but not my first choice for the money. The Camry can't compare when talking about a fun car to drive so no need to go any further on that. The 2008 Passat is the car that really delivers in all areas. It's great fun to drive, looks and feels luxurious while still being sporty. The price is actually quite good for all you get. What a ride!

Awsome
By noreckito on 08/17/08 20:31 PM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Komfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Very powerful for a 2.0 engine, a lot a performance and comfort for a 26k price tag. Well balanced 200 HP. e careful with the throttle, Passat 2.0 T likes to speed.

Switch from toyota
By donnievalens on 08/04/08 12:25 PM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan w/Prod. End 01/08 (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This car had the drivability to almost instantly take me out of the Japanese market over such brand as Honda and Toyota.While those cars are good the VW instantly sets itself apart with the performance and safety features you get as standard equipment, while with Toyota and Honda you have to pay extra for these features. Also the car seems to have a stronger feel to it, not just in the engine but overall the handling feels tighter, there is less road noise, even the doors feel like they actually have some meat to them.That's probably why it does so well in the crash ratings.Overall I just feel like I got more for my money with vehicle and I look forward to my next one in another four years.