Used 2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

2008 Passat Komfort, 2.0, auto
By gphin305

2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Komfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This is my 5th VW owned (3 Jettas, 2 Passats)since 2003. Owned over 30 cars overall. Had numerous issues with the 2003 Passat but it was very solid and fun to drive and put 105K on it before selling for $6500 last year. Looked at several options in May08 when decided to lease current Passat. Nothing else came close to overall value and pricing. I now have 27,500 miles to date and car has been perfect....no problems whatsoever. Very solid highway cruiser, roomy, quiet, good mileage (24 avg...28-29 highway), seats are very comfortable....feels like a solid German made car. Doesn't use any oil and runs great on regular gas. Will probably buy when lease is up next year....may look at CC.

Favorite Features

I'm 6'2" and have more than enough legroom. Driving position and vision is excellent, comfortable seats (the synthetic leather still looks new). Overall solid feeling while driving 70mph+, interior look of high-quality, handling, good legroom with back seats, good size trunk. A real drivers car.

Suggested Improvements

Miss the fog lights, should have been an option. Offer power passenger seat....using wheel on side to adjust is very cumbersome. Don't use Goodyear Eagles....become very noisy after 20K miles.

Shifting unpredictable
By France

2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Komfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Love to drive our Passat when it's not in the shop. We have been having a problem with the transmission or shifting pretty much from the beginning. I was hoping to find other people with the same problem as we are experiencing. We took our time in choosing this car, purchased a VW for the supposedly well made vehicle it delivers, great disappointment. It's still in the shop now; hoping this time it will be fixed.

Favorite Features

Good driver's car, hugs the road, fast and comfortable.

Former Toyota owner
By Joey nash

2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Komfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I am reluctant to sing praises just yet. As a former Toyota owner, I expect a lot out of my vehicles in terms of reliability. I did not expect to buy a VW, but in keeping a promise to my daughter, I let her pick. We bought the car and afterward, I searched the internet for opinions (backwards, I know). After the initial panic, I have realized that most of the reviews on any car are negative, since people with no gripe tend not to bother at all. That said, if this car gives me no problems mechanically, it will be my all time favorite. I did not know anybody made a car that got 30 mpg+ and would go fast. Fun to drive and the design seems to be well thought out. Feels like a fighter plane.

Favorite Features

Cools the turbo after shutdown. The smell of the interior. Economy and horsepower. Interior in general.

Suggested Improvements

Car is deliberately designed so that the owner cannot perform minor repairs. If you want to change your own air filter or brake pads, good luck. Shame on VW for this. Had I known, I would not have bought the car. VW parts and labor are outrageous. Manual doesn't even tell how to check trans fluid!

Now That's A Car!
By RheyLEW

2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan VR6 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Was initially interested in a Mazda6 for a long time. Made the mistake of sitting in a Passat CC first, went to Mazda and wasn't impressed, the German design and meticulous attention to detail is phenomenal. (It's the little things) cleverly designed umbrella holder in door, pull-up window shades, radar for adaptive cc and parking assistance, bi xenon headlights, LED tails, cargo and shopping bag hooks in trunk, heated side mirrors that point to curb when reversing, auto door lock, moon roof, rain sensing wipers that you don't even have to touch, wonderful lighting and dash, power windows all around, 4 cup holders, secret compartments. Powerful v6 engine with paddle shifters! Whooo- weee!

Favorite Features

Engine/transmission power/performance, interior, exterior, rarity, can pass as a professional or sports car, easily customizable, cockpit feel, Headlights, DynaAudio sound system, trunk space, I can keep going here..

Suggested Improvements

hmm, sequential shifter instead of tiptronic, not great on gas, but I'm coming from a 4 cylinder Camry, I'm almost clueless here..

Excessively Burning Oil
By Andrew

2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I purchased a used VW Passat with 19k miles. At one point, I checked the oil dip stick and discovered the engine consummed 2 quarts of full synthetic oil in approximately 4900 miles. I approached the dealer and I was told this is normal for this engine. In fact, the service person stated, I should consider myself lucky, others are burning more! With no help from the dealer, I called the 800 VW number (March of 2010). As a solution,VW staff stated I could go to the dealer, have them change the oil, and return within the 6k oil change interval and at that time,(and at my cost) the dealer would weigh the oil and determine if I was within VW's standard.

Favorite Features

The car has good features, especially the interior room, However, the burning of oil at this rate (1 quart per 1200 miles) will reduce the life of the exhaust system, the catalyic converter and the turbo. Speak to a person who rebuilds engines for a living, I did!

Suggested Improvements

VW, needs to fix the problem. Look at the exhaust pipe. If its very black and sooty, you are burning oil. Another way to tell, (assuming your parking spots does not show and oil leak) run the engine witn the car in park and hit the gas...you will see a puff of black smoke out of the exhaust.