2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
Bimmer Killer
By VR6Guy on 04/15/10 05:10 AM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan VR6 4Motion 4dr Sedan AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Love my VR6 Passat 4Motion! I bought this car down in Florida the day before I drove back to Jersey. I got to test out VW service within the first 24 hours, apparently some sort of recall wasn't done on it and my car went into 'safe' mode somewhere in NC. Roadside came and got me in about 20 min, "Trip Interruption" paid for a kush hotel, my meals and a loaner. 2 days later I was back on the road. My Passat turns heads with it's muscular looks, and I love when I can kick a 5-series @$$ off of a red light, or the kids in their 6 cyl 'Stangs.

Truly Under-Appreciated
By BWestinDC on 03/28/10 15:25 PM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Lux 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I leased my 08 Passat as an upgrade from a 5-cyl Jetta, opting for the 4- cyl Lux after test-driving the 8-cyl Phaeton for good measure. The acceleration on the 4-cyl is amazing - better than the 8-banger. And fuel economy is often up to 30+mph on my DC commute (recently rated worse than LA). VW doesn't get enough credit or positive publicity for the genius engineering they've done to produce such a car. Ride quality is tremendous. Interior finishes outpace Lexus. Cargo capacity is amazing. All-in-all, I confidently recommend this car to anyone currently shopping. Its performance will knock your socks off.

Fun to drive
By Matt on 03/04/10 09:02 AM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Komfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

After two years of ownership, everything has been good. We were hesitant to purchase a VW due to past consumer issues. The zero down sign and drive is actually a pretty good deal. So we leased it and at this point I think we may buy it at the end of the lease. We were able to negotiate the price of the lease down, so make sure to explore that road. We have been very happy with it so far and would consider another one.

Nice sedan but BURNS too much OIL
By Stevie on 02/04/10 10:15 AM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I've owned my passat for over 2 years know and use it daily for my commute to and from work. Overall I am happy with the car. it's a four cylinder with a manual tranny. The car has had no real issues except that it burns too much oil between oil changes. Approximately 1 quart for every 1,500 miles depending on driving habits. If you drive over 70mph expect to burn even more oil. Don't forget this car runs on synthetic oil where an avg. oil change costs about $85.00 or $8:00 per quart. Adding all this up, an oil change with the additional oil needed to add between oil changes can cost more than $100.00. There is probably something wrong with the design of this turbo charger on this engine.

Best for me!
By Bob S. on 12/30/09 07:32 AM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan VR6 4Motion 4dr Sedan AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I needed an "all wheel drive" vechicle and I have tried and dislike SUV'S. Very few options in this category under $40K; various Subarus, Infinity G35, Audi A4. I drove the Passat and was convinced it was my best choice with a comfortable cabin, more than adequate passenger space, and great performance. Goes through the snow and handles bad drivimg conditions with ease. Actually fun to drive in the snow. The V6 has a nice low toned growl, like a well trained and tuned muscle car, and the 280 H.P. is strong through all 6 gears. For a relatively large car the all wheel drive handling is superb. What more can I say, if you like to drive, need comfort, space, and all wheel drive, give her a go!

Perfection! Except to the LED lights.
By poloz on 12/16/09 09:07 AM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I bought it used with 25,000 miles on it as a 1 year old vehicle for under $15k. I love to drive it as it is both comfortable and sporty. Great ride and I would buy it again in a heartbeat. Just get ready to put Premium Fuel in it. I have no problem doing that as it gets close to 600 miles per tank and averages 32 highway. The only flaw is with the Exterior Design. If you live where is snows, the taillights will get completely covered by snow as they are LED and don't heat up at all, as I recently discovered in a blizzard. That can be scary. I'll just have to move out of the snowbelt because this car is worth it. GET ONE!

Far better than the competition
By vroom on 12/11/09 00:15 AM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan w/Prod. End 01/08 (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

My base model 2008 Passat is amazing. The seat is comfortable for my bad back, and there's plenty headroom (I'm tall). The car is reliable and a blast to drive: precise, responsive, and quick, especially using the auto-manual mode. For my $$, Passat is far superior to Accord, Camry, Altima, Fusion, Outback, Volvo, Mazda and yes, Malibu, all of which I've test driven or rented. Edmunds is wrong about Passat not being price competitive with Japanese cars. To get a comfortable seat & decent interior in an Accord requires an EX, which costs thousands more than the base Accord. The (unadjustable) lumbar "support" in the base Accord felt like a brick in my back. Ditto Camry.

Burning oil
By brandon on 10/22/09 08:16 AM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Lux 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Beautiful car. I like almost everything about it. The HUGE exception to this is the fact that it is a new car with 28k miles and it burns crazy amounts of oil!! VW is not inclined to do anything about it. This is a common problem. VW claims it is normal for this car to burn almost 1 qt of oil per 1,000 miles.

German Engineering
By TedH on 08/11/09 17:27 PM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Komfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

A pleasure to drive. Powerful performance and precise responsive handling. Very safe automobile as proven by a 2000 Golf TDI that was totaled after I drove it home. Wife wanted a trunk, so it was a Passat. We love this car. 3rd VW in a row and payments remain same as the first thanks to the great resale value. I get about 32 mpg on the hwy and around 22-24 in town. Get one, you'll love em! Only thing I don't like is the $75 Oil changes. Go VW!

Oil Burner
By jimmydean on 07/14/09 04:41 AM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Komfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I have driven this car 10,000 miles now. Changed the oil at 5,000 miles. At 9,200 miles the Stop Engine light comes on while driving. Check the stick and the engine was bone dry. Check engine light never came on. Brought to dealer and told it is normal to burn a quart every 1k miles. Dealer will not admit to engine problem. Now doing "oil consumption study". At 10,100 miles has burned another quart of synthetic oil. What kind of company is VW if it will not fix problems when presented with one. I feel totally ripped off having bought this lemon.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.