2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
so far so good - 32k miles - original owner
By reverseswing on 01/10/11 06:55 AM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Komfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I have had this car as a lease since 2008. I have had no issues at all, only been to the dealer every 10k miles for oil changes & scheduled service. Lease is about to end so I'm trying to figure out if it makes sense to buy the car outright or possibly go for the new 2012 US made version.

VW Passat 4 Motion
By bogolf on 11/26/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan VR6 4Motion 4dr Sedan AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Great vehicle for family and fun, powerful V6 with 4 motion traction. Make me anxious for the snow to fall. Nice interior, handles great, a bit large for my taste but I have a family so must compromise a bit.

08 VW Passat Komfort 2.0 Turbo
By randy on 10/19/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Komfort 4dr Sedan w/Prod. End 01/08 (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

The care had few problems that were covered under the waranty: replaced steering column, transmission sensor, air conditioning replaced. Because the warranty covered these items we saved $10,000 in fix up costs. Despite these problems, the car has been reliable once the initial issues have been adressed. The design is great and the car has a lot of nice features. Drove it cross county in the mountains and it held up I like the look of the car. My wife tells me to get rid of the care now that the warranty is out because it is a Lemon, but I tell her now that the dealer paid 10,000 to fix everything on the car nothing else will break. Just bought out the lease and time will tell who is right

Excellent Sedan, Almost a Luxury
By phani9 on 10/10/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Komfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I Just traded in my 09'Jetta 2.5 SE for a 08'Passat komfort. It's a wonderful sedan with so much interior luxury & killer looks outside.

Love this car!
By lori on 10/04/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

I have had my Passat for 2 1/2 years now and I just love it. The car is fun to drive, has a ton of get up and go, is great on gas and I can't say how many compliments I get on the looks. I have the upgraded tires/rims and the car is extremely sporty with a grown up look. I just turned 20,000 miles without a problem. The paddle shifter is fun for sport driving and the turbo lets this baby move! I highly recommend this car!

2008 Passat Komfort, 2.0, auto
By gphin305 on 09/27/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Komfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This is my 5th VW owned (3 Jettas, 2 Passats)since 2003. Owned over 30 cars overall. Had numerous issues with the 2003 Passat but it was very solid and fun to drive and put 105K on it before selling for $6500 last year. Looked at several options in May08 when decided to lease current Passat. Nothing else came close to overall value and pricing. I now have 27,500 miles to date and car has been perfect....no problems whatsoever. Very solid highway cruiser, roomy, quiet, good mileage (24 avg...28-29 highway), seats are very comfortable....feels like a solid German made car. Doesn't use any oil and runs great on regular gas. Will probably buy when lease is up next year....may look at CC.

Shifting unpredictable
By France on 08/22/10 18:55 PM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Komfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Love to drive our Passat when it's not in the shop. We have been having a problem with the transmission or shifting pretty much from the beginning. I was hoping to find other people with the same problem as we are experiencing. We took our time in choosing this car, purchased a VW for the supposedly well made vehicle it delivers, great disappointment. It's still in the shop now; hoping this time it will be fixed.

Former Toyota owner
By Joey nash on 06/27/10 13:33 PM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Komfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I am reluctant to sing praises just yet. As a former Toyota owner, I expect a lot out of my vehicles in terms of reliability. I did not expect to buy a VW, but in keeping a promise to my daughter, I let her pick. We bought the car and afterward, I searched the internet for opinions (backwards, I know). After the initial panic, I have realized that most of the reviews on any car are negative, since people with no gripe tend not to bother at all. That said, if this car gives me no problems mechanically, it will be my all time favorite. I did not know anybody made a car that got 30 mpg+ and would go fast. Fun to drive and the design seems to be well thought out. Feels like a fighter plane.

Now That's A Car!
By RheyLEW on 05/20/10 12:22 PM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan VR6 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Was initially interested in a Mazda6 for a long time. Made the mistake of sitting in a Passat CC first, went to Mazda and wasn't impressed, the German design and meticulous attention to detail is phenomenal. (It's the little things) cleverly designed umbrella holder in door, pull-up window shades, radar for adaptive cc and parking assistance, bi xenon headlights, LED tails, cargo and shopping bag hooks in trunk, heated side mirrors that point to curb when reversing, auto door lock, moon roof, rain sensing wipers that you don't even have to touch, wonderful lighting and dash, power windows all around, 4 cup holders, secret compartments. Powerful v6 engine with paddle shifters! Whooo- weee!

Excessively Burning Oil
By Andrew on 04/25/10 09:05 AM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I purchased a used VW Passat with 19k miles. At one point, I checked the oil dip stick and discovered the engine consummed 2 quarts of full synthetic oil in approximately 4900 miles. I approached the dealer and I was told this is normal for this engine. In fact, the service person stated, I should consider myself lucky, others are burning more! With no help from the dealer, I called the 800 VW number (March of 2010). As a solution,VW staff stated I could go to the dealer, have them change the oil, and return within the 6k oil change interval and at that time,(and at my cost) the dealer would weigh the oil and determine if I was within VW's standard.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.