Used 2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Consumer Reviews - 92 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

EXCELLENT CAR!
By fausto123

2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Lux 4dr Sedan w/Prod. End 01/08 (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I've had my Passat for about a couple months now and I absolutely couldn't be happier, the ride is super smooth even on rougher surfaces, its packed with features and full of space. The transmission shifts very smoothly and road noise is very minimal considering mine has the larger tires and wheels. The cabin feels very upscale, I enjoy that it has an auto hold brake feature, heated seats, and the 6 disc CD changer works flawlessly. The only negative is the chrome trim used around the windows, they oxidized rather quickly and in my opinion VW needs to improve the quality of that material. Besides that the car drives and handles like a dream !

EVERYTHING

Better quality window trim

Burning Oil
By discouraged3

2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Komfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I bought my Passat Komfort new 2008 and was very excited because I had just traded a 2007 Passat Wolfburg limited edition with no problems.
After driving this 2008 passat for 50,000 the vehicle engine shut down engine light came on and I stop to checked the oil and the oil stick was dry.
The vehicle was towed to the dealership because I was told not to drive it and they said the vehicle had oil but not reading on the stick and the car only get around 600 miles to a quart.
now i have to check the oil often before
the oil changes.
The car now in 2011 is buring oil as fast as I add oil.
It make me sick to know I paid 30,000 for a vehicle and now have to check the oil during every fill up.

Seats, electronic features, the back and side manual sun visor screen.

Oil consumption, automatic sun visor screen. Noisey tire roaring on the higway

Burns Oil
By rrosborough

2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I bought my Passat brand new off the show room floor. I was thrilled to have this car. It looked good, ran good, and for the first 50,000 miles I didn't have any problems.
Then I began to realize that it burns oil ridiculously.
I took it in to have the dealership run an oil consumption test, and of course they said it was fine.
Told me it burns 1qt of oil for every 1,200 miles. So I had the option of not driving my car as much, getting oil changes sooner, or just plain ol adding oil.
Either way it really sucks. Took the joy of my car away from me. I'm pleased with it, but I don't like having to keep up with the oil consumption, adding oil, or changing oil more frequently.

Das auto
By mikmuk

2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Komfort 4dr Sedan w/Prod. End 01/08 (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Bought my 2008 CPO Passat with 30k miles about 6 months ago. Other then the headlight being replaced by dealer (under warranty) car is great. Luxury at an affordable price. People often look and say what kind of car is that. Very nice! The difference in the Passat is it is built in Deutchland (Germany) not Mexico like several other VW's. Now the 2012 Passat is manufactured in VW's new Tennessee plant. I am sure the folks from Tenn. will do just fine. Love the car and the 33 MPG we get.

Interior design

Ride

Great Car! Fun to Drive! German Engineering!
By crawfojj

2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Lux 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

So far, I've owned the car for about 5 months and I bought it Certified Pre-Owned. If you decide to buy a used one,go CPO. The car had 30k miles on it and it's covered up to 50k on minor things and 80k on major items. I have had the car in the shop for 2 items already though- they were under warranty. Noticed hard down shifting- they had to replace the valve cover or something with the tranny. Now drives like a sports car. This car is so fun to drive!!! Sports mode is really fun! I'm married with one on the way so my days of buying sporty 2 seaters is over- this provides the best of both worlds. 2.0T is fun and fast, kinda wish I woulda bought the v6 though, test drove it and it has lots pwr

LUX edition- parking sensors, memory seats, real leather heated seats, sports mode, german engineering and handling, quick pickup, looks of it - looks like a BMW w/o the "look at me I'm loaded or want to pretend to be", great front seat room- I'm over 6'3" and I have tons of leg room!

Larger side mirrors, cooled seats, larger trunk