2008 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
80K and still fun to drive
By deeper on 07/07/14 11:44 AM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen Passat Wagon Komfort 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Have driven VW for decades and this one is no different when it comes to small things needing repair, mostly under warranty. Engine strong, gas mileage consistently exceeds EPA. With Good Year Assurance Comfort tires ride is quiet and smooth though not as sharp as stock. Fully loaded and air-condition running can easily achieve 32-34 mpg at 75mph+. Also fully loaded car doesn't seem to bog down due to turbo torque even going up hills. My son now drives the car but every time I get back in and drive it I smile. Wish they still made a wagon.

2008 Passat Lux Wagon 133,000 miles
By mrvinsurance on 12/26/13 13:14 PM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen Passat Wagon Lux 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I just bought this car, with 133,000 miles on it. This one was very clean inside and out, and all options worked on it. At 135,000 miles I changed the timing belt and changed oil with synthetic as recommended. I am exclusively using premium gas. Overall, very happy with it. Super smooth and respectably fast on highway. Very comfy & attractive interior. I am prepared to spend a little more for maintenance than my Japanese cars, but feel it is worth it as the overall build quality is much nicer. Again, bought it with high mileage, but it drives great.

Passat Wagon
By Rubas on 06/28/10 15:51 PM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen Passat Wagon Turbo 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Purchased new in December 2007. Just got my 30000 check. The dealer changes the oil every 5000 miles no usage between changes, no brake problems, in fact the only problem so far was the radio had to be replaced. Completely satisfied with the car except for needing premium fuel. On trips I get 32-33 mpg.

2008 Passat wagon 2.0T
By passatpilot on 12/25/09 11:45 AM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen Passat Wagon Komfort 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Focuses on differences with 2001-2005 model: Pluses: - Better handling, more handsome car overall -Great engine, quieter at high rpms -interior design, controls improved with few minuses mode" and wheel controls. -good overall size for a 4 people, cargo room on par with many SUVs -sophisticated 6sp auto with "sport mode Minuses: -Cheap "Golf/Jetta" platform has no sophisticated suspension from old A4,car bounces up and down with wider 16/18" tires -much louder at highway speed then the old model -driving position is less comfortable (higher chair position) -unrefined truck like idle engine sound -some cheaper interiors and controls -less fun to drive, lots of electronics -no manual brake

fast and smooth
By NYC on 07/01/09 12:52 PM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen Passat Wagon VR6 4Motion 4dr Wagon AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Never had a VW before. Very happy so far. Unexpected power from this VR6. Very fast off the line, great cornering and smooth when cruising at highway speeds. Love the sport styled "old school" seats- extremely comfortable and roomy and I'm 6'2". Excellent quality, fit & finish, great dash and overall cabin design. Lots of storage too.

The Best!
By Y on 06/10/09 11:41 AM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen Passat Wagon Turbo 4dr Wagon w/Prod. End 02/08 (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I have put 15k miles on it. So far nothing to complain about. Great handling, lots of power, comfortable ride, very good fuel economy while fun to drive. Beautifully designed.

but it was so nice for the first 15k....
By Dan on 04/26/09 08:05 AM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen Passat Wagon Komfort 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Loved the car for the frist 15K then the problems started happening. struts, valve bodie, alignment (still not fixed and dealership won't do anything about it) wishield waher fluid tank leaking had to be replaced, horn malfunction, rear window came of of track. these are too many problems for someone who takes good care of their car. aslo it BURNS oil! after 5k of the recommended 10k oil change intervals i'm over 2qts low, VW says thats normal? I have just under 25k on the car and have decided to say goodbye. I could not have imagined this, the car was PERFECT for the first 15K... if buying used watch out for the alignment problem, very comom i'm told.

Great alternative to small SUVs
By DrDave on 01/17/09 08:16 AM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen Passat Wagon Lux 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

We love this vehicle! I wanted a small SUV like the Nissan Rogue or VW Tiquan, but this little machine is both sporty, fun to drive, and has plenty of room. The 4 cylinder turbo is amazingly powerful and quick. The manual shifting options are bit cumbersome and rarely use unless I want the real feel of performance. You will not think you are in a wagon driving this at all!

2008s are good buys
By Davrub100 on 12/22/08 07:26 AM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen Passat Wagon Komfort 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Our first VW was a 2005 VW passat sedan GLS. To the day we turned it in it was fun to drive. But we bought it before children and a family. So in the market for a small SUV or a wagon, we compared the Rav4, CR-V, Volvo V70 and Passat Wagon. So to all the dealerships we brought our car seats, and strollers. We tested every one of the above cars. This test eliminated many other cars not mentioned. Being petite(5'1") my wife did not like reaching up to put the children in the car seats, after the 2005 Passat the SUVs were not fun to drive. So it came to price between the Volvo and VW. With several 2008s to pick from. I went to the best deal. $4000.00 below invoice. They needed to unload '08s.

Great Value, Great Ride, Great MPG
By Blkdog on 12/04/08 12:50 PM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen Passat Wagon Komfort 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I was looking at Volvo xc, Audi wagons, BMW wagon, and Subaru. I love the fact they all had all wheel drive but after checking out the VW's I decided that for the money it was the best value. This car has surprised me big time in terms handling and acceleration. I figured the front wheel drive w/snow tires would be almost as good as the4motion ¬ 40K w/bad mpg. I get solid mpg of 31 after an hour on the highway doing 75 and mid 20's in the city. The other wagons (Audi/BMW/Sub) are tiny in comparison w/no leg room for rear and meager mpg. To close deal I had dealer tint windows to state max and throw in oil change for 3yrs. I got selling price $500 below invoice. VW sign and drive is legit.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.