Used 2008 Volkswagen Passat Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

So far a good value for me
By Schooder

2008 Volkswagen Passat Wagon Turbo 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought this car used at a dealer.7/2015 I live at 7000' above sea level and occasionally drive to 5400' (New Mexico) This is important to understand reference to performance. The 4 cylinder Turbo accelerates nicely at this altitude. It accelerates close to or better that my 2006 Toyota 4runner V8. I wanted to change the shifter handle for esthetic reasons and ended up damaging a small piece of plastic and ended up with a $1100 repair bill the replace the entire shifter module which had to remove from the bottom of the vehicle. The makers obviously was not intending this to be removed, so be careful if you want to change out the leather shift handle. I really like the way the windows operate. Typical German engineering, all the windows come up/down with one touch instead of just the driver door. There is a full size spare tire. The cruise control works great, one button push is all that is needed. And accelerates good. I bought it at 76,000 and now has 86,000 miles(1/2016). I think the ride could be smoother. I wonder if different tires would help. I think VW has always been a poor man's Audi. It doesn't feel as solid as or as smooth on the road as smooth as A4s I have owned.

It's a Keeper!
By digdoug78

2008 Volkswagen Passat Wagon Lux 4dr Wagon w/Prod. End 02/08 (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I've enjoyed this car from the first time I drove it. I picked it up used. The previous owner put 18's and dropped it about an inch. Low but not too low. Drives nice. Good power getting on the highway, passing, easily cruise at 80+. Controls are easy and intuitive. You can do everything but brake from the steering wheel! You can change from radio to cd to aux from the wheel! You can speed up and slow down, from the wheel! You can turn on wipers, check fuel, driving range, real time mpg, direction, from the freakin' wheel! The seats are super comfortable. I'm 6' and I have tons of room. The paddle shifters can be fun to use. Used properly, really fun to use. This is a keeper!

Power. Maneuverability. Brakes. Seats. Sound System. The back seats are comfortable. They fold split, so it is super easy to load. The drive with a load is good, too. Jack and spare are easily accessed. There is space for after market electronics (Sirius, cd changer, sub woofer, etc). Back seat flips up for a little more storage. That's how I know that the previous owner had little kids, girls. Picked up the seats to find glitter, m&m's, doll parts. Other than that, it looks like they took good care of it.

How do so many leaves find their way under the hood? They clog up the sunroof drains and create rust problems. Brushed silver on the dash looks great at night, but during the day the reflection is blinding. Mine now sports faux carbon fiber. The auto lift gate doesn't work.

80K and still fun to drive
By deeper

2008 Volkswagen Passat Wagon Komfort 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Have driven VW for decades and this one is no different when it comes to small things needing repair, mostly under warranty. Engine strong, gas mileage consistently exceeds EPA. With Good Year Assurance Comfort tires ride is quiet and smooth though not as sharp as stock. Fully loaded and air-condition running can easily achieve 32-34 mpg at 75mph+. Also fully loaded car doesn't seem to bog down due to turbo torque even going up hills. My son now drives the car but every time I get back in and drive it I smile. Wish they still made a wagon.

Still discovering features on the car. Spend time to learn them all.

2008 Passat Lux Wagon 133,000 miles
By mrvinsurance

2008 Volkswagen Passat Wagon Lux 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I just bought this car, with 133,000 miles on it. This one was very clean inside and out, and all options worked on it. At 135,000 miles I changed the timing belt and changed oil with synthetic as recommended. I am exclusively using premium gas. Overall, very happy with it. Super smooth and respectably fast on highway. Very comfy & attractive interior. I am prepared to spend a little more for maintenance than my Japanese cars, but feel it is worth it as the overall build quality is much nicer. Again, bought it with high mileage, but it drives great.

Quiet body/frame. Comfy & toasty leather seats. 2.0 Turbo feels like an electric motor - quiet, smooth, amazing torque. It feels like a Benz or a BMW, without the price tag.

Common problem with heater door behind dash. A little more expensive than average to maintain. Otherwise, no real complaints - excellent vehicle.

Passat Wagon
By Rubas

2008 Volkswagen Passat Wagon Turbo 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Purchased new in December 2007. Just got my 30000 check. The dealer changes the oil every 5000 miles no usage between changes, no brake problems, in fact the only problem so far was the radio had to be replaced. Completely satisfied with the car except for needing premium fuel. On trips I get 32-33 mpg.

I like the convenience the wagon offers, easier to access than a trunk.

Would prefer the shifter not on the center console. This would make accessing the cup holders easier and give a larger center storage area. Also I would like to be able to disable the manual speed shift feature. I have bumped the tabs causing manual shifting when I did not want any.

• SUV