2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
Love my Passat!!!!!
By tiffanyrenee on 03/06/14 05:20 AM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Komfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I bought my White, Passat 2.0T Komfort in 2011 used with 49, 000 miles. I had an oil consumption problem at first. I had to add oil every 500 to 600 miles but the VW dealership ran three oil consumption test found that there was a problem and fixed it. Other than some other recalls I am now at 83,000 miles and love the ride. I keep up the maintenance, bought new tires, new brake and rotors, and I am good to go. Did I say I love this car? I do.

Wish the execution was better.
By squashpup on 08/08/13 04:32 AM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Lux 4dr Sedan w/Prod. End 01/08 (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

The car itself, in everyday use, is great. Comfortable, good power, good gas mileage, styling is excellent inside and out, roomy, sporty handling, fun to drive with a good feel on the road.

Great Car....
By kaperej on 01/04/13 18:25 PM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Komfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Overall this is a really good German Engineering...although this Passat doesn't get the best MPG or is the cheapest it is the best for your money. The overall quality is very good and will last along time. The two years we have had our Passat we have only had one big issue. The engine cam had shattered and at high RPM..This costed $2700 and Volkswagen knew it was a problem but refused to pay for it. Other than that it has been a great car.

Best european affordable car!
By corneliu on 07/20/12 22:44 PM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Komfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I own the 08 passat 20T and the 08 passat vr6, and both are a blast. I had no issues with none of them in 4 years. I only did the regular service and thats it! With the 2.0T i got a personal record of 32 mpg/hwy, with the vr6 29mpg wich is not bad at all. I like the sprint from the turbo and the pull of vr6 from 80mph and up! great cars

EXCELLENT CAR!
By fausto123 on 04/10/12 19:52 PM (PDT)

I've had my Passat for about a couple months now and I absolutely couldn't be happier, the ride is super smooth even on rougher surfaces, its packed with features and full of space. The transmission shifts very smoothly and road noise is very minimal considering mine has the larger tires and wheels. The cabin feels very upscale, I enjoy that it has an auto hold brake feature, heated seats, and the 6 disc CD changer works flawlessly. The only negative is the chrome trim used around the windows, they oxidized rather quickly and in my opinion VW needs to improve the quality of that material. Besides that the car drives and handles like a dream !

Burning Oil
By discouraged3 on 01/03/12 14:03 PM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Komfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I bought my Passat Komfort new 2008 and was very excited because I had just traded a 2007 Passat Wolfburg limited edition with no problems. After driving this 2008 passat for 50,000 the vehicle engine shut down engine light came on and I stop to checked the oil and the oil stick was dry. The vehicle was towed to the dealership because I was told not to drive it and they said the vehicle had oil but not reading on the stick and the car only get around 600 miles to a quart. now i have to check the oil often before the oil changes. The car now in 2011 is buring oil as fast as I add oil. It make me sick to know I paid 30,000 for a vehicle and now have to check the oil during every fill up.

Burns Oil
By rrosborough on 12/05/11 07:16 AM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I bought my Passat brand new off the show room floor. I was thrilled to have this car. It looked good, ran good, and for the first 50,000 miles I didn't have any problems. Then I began to realize that it burns oil ridiculously. I took it in to have the dealership run an oil consumption test, and of course they said it was fine. Told me it burns 1qt of oil for every 1,200 miles. So I had the option of not driving my car as much, getting oil changes sooner, or just plain ol adding oil. Either way it really sucks. Took the joy of my car away from me. I'm pleased with it, but I don't like having to keep up with the oil consumption, adding oil, or changing oil more frequently.

Das auto
By mikmuk on 12/04/11 05:56 AM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Komfort 4dr Sedan w/Prod. End 01/08 (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Bought my 2008 CPO Passat with 30k miles about 6 months ago. Other then the headlight being replaced by dealer (under warranty) car is great. Luxury at an affordable price. People often look and say what kind of car is that. Very nice! The difference in the Passat is it is built in Deutchland (Germany) not Mexico like several other VW's. Now the 2012 Passat is manufactured in VW's new Tennessee plant. I am sure the folks from Tenn. will do just fine. Love the car and the 33 MPG we get.

Great Car! Fun to Drive! German Engineering!
By crawfojj on 06/15/11 06:34 AM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Lux 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

So far, I've owned the car for about 5 months and I bought it Certified Pre-Owned. If you decide to buy a used one,go CPO. The car had 30k miles on it and it's covered up to 50k on minor things and 80k on major items. I have had the car in the shop for 2 items already though- they were under warranty. Noticed hard down shifting- they had to replace the valve cover or something with the tranny. Now drives like a sports car. This car is so fun to drive!!! Sports mode is really fun! I'm married with one on the way so my days of buying sporty 2 seaters is over- this provides the best of both worlds. 2.0T is fun and fast, kinda wish I woulda bought the v6 though, test drove it and it has lots pwr

Great Car
By to_perspective on 05/23/11 12:37 PM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Komfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Picked up a CPO Passat and I am very happy with the purchase. The interior layout is among the best I've seen....very logical. The drivers seat is extremely comfortable....I could drive in this car for hours. With the many possible seat adjustments and the telescoping wheel it is possible to get the perfect seat position. Just wish it had a seat memory so when other family members adjust the seats I could easily return to my preference. Very pleased with the gas mileage and with an 18 gal tank you can drive for a long time between fill-ups. Performance is very good for a 4 cylinder engine.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan in NJ is:

$224 per month*