Used 2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Consumer Reviews - 92 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

Pass on the left, if you can!
By Doug

2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan VR6 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

When merging on to the highway, this car is like a thoroughbred race horse jumping out of the gate. Left signal on, metal down, take to the express lane and hit cruise at 82. Slow down for the inevitable traffic delays with the left (-) paddle shifter & open the sunroof if it is a nice day. The sound system will easily drown out anyone else's sound system.
I bought this car for its' storage. Right away it needed: igniters, fuel pump, axle, alignment, brakes, lights. Timing belt broke two weeks after dealer "inspected" it. Now, with rebuilt engine, performs like new.
Body & paint are in great shape. Glass is all like new. Plastic body panels require ArmorAll. For an "old" car, the design is still fresh. Turns heads wherever I go.
Blacked out all the chrome & lowered it, with some 18's.

Love my Passat!!!!!
By tiffanyrenee

2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Komfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I bought my White, Passat 2.0T Komfort in 2011 used with 49, 000 miles. I had an oil consumption problem at first. I had to add oil every 500 to 600 miles but the VW dealership ran three oil consumption test found that there was a problem and fixed it. Other than some other recalls I am now at 83,000 miles and love the ride. I keep up the maintenance, bought new tires, new brake and rotors, and I am good to go. Did I say I love this car? I do.

Wish the execution was better.
By squashpup

2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Lux 4dr Sedan w/Prod. End 01/08 (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

The car itself, in everyday use, is great.
Comfortable, good power, good gas mileage, styling is excellent inside and out, roomy, sporty handling, fun to drive with a good feel on the road.

The Lux is so well equipped, it's hard to believe they sold it at this price point. A used one seems like quite a bargain when one is comparision shopping. Ours has nav, power heated seats, heated mirrors, passenger side mirror pivots down in reverse, umbrella storage in the door that drains to the outside, 12v. socket in the rear, sunshades in the rear window and rear side windows, trip computer, wood on the dash, paddle shifters on the wheel, Ipod connectivity, 6-CD changer, automatic wipers, automatic lights which stay on for a bit when you arrive home to let you get in the front door easily, garage door opener,

If this car would quit shedding its tires, we'd keep it, but we have to put a new set on every 18,000 miles or so. Long before that, tire noise and vibration become unbearably intense, so much so that it is hard to carry on a conversation sometimes at highway speed. VW refuses to acknowledge there's a problem. Our car has been back to VW twice, once for a blown relay that immobilized the car, once for a whining PCV valve that sounded like the engine was about to blow up. Now, the "check engine" light is on and the engine stumbles under hard acceleration. Good car, bad execution. I would ONLY buy a used VW if it had very low miles and was certified.

Great Car....
By kaperej

2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Komfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Overall this is a really good German Engineering...although this Passat doesn't get the best MPG or is the cheapest it is the best for your money. The overall quality is very good and will last along time. The two years we have had our Passat we have only had one big issue. The engine cam had shattered and at high RPM..This costed
$2700 and Volkswagen knew it was a problem but refused to pay for it. Other than that it has been a great car.

Great build quality...The 2.0L Turbo engine.

Make the engine more powerful

Best european affordable car!
By corneliu

2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Komfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I own the 08 passat 20T and the 08 passat vr6, and both are a blast. I had no issues with none of them in 4 years. I only did the regular service and thats it! With the 2.0T i got a personal record of 32 mpg/hwy, with the vr6 29mpg wich is not bad at all. I like the sprint from the turbo and the pull of vr6 from 80mph and up! great cars

break hold feature is helping alot when in stop and go traffic, also the rear view mirror that dimms at night and the self leveling headlights from the vr6