Used 2008 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Reviews - 123 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

2008 Volkswagen Passat

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

So far a good value for me
By Schooder

2008 Volkswagen Passat Turbo 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought this car used at a dealer.7/2015 I live at 7000' above sea level and occasionally drive to 5400' (New Mexico) This is important to understand reference to performance. The 4 cylinder Turbo accelerates nicely at this altitude. It accelerates close to or better that my 2006 Toyota 4runner V8.
I wanted to change the shifter handle for esthetic reasons and ended up damaging a small piece of plastic and ended up with a $1100 repair bill the replace the entire shifter module which had to remove from the bottom of the vehicle. The makers obviously was not intending this to be removed, so be careful if you want to change out the leather shift handle. I really like the way the windows operate. Typical German engineering, all the windows come up/down with one touch instead of just the driver door. There is a full size spare tire. The cruise control works great, one button push is all that is needed. And accelerates good. I bought it at 76,000 and now has 86,000 miles(1/2016). I think the ride could be smoother. I wonder if different tires would help. I think VW has always been a poor man's Audi. It doesn't feel as solid as or as smooth on the road as smooth as A4s I have owned.

Pass on the left, if you can!
By Doug

2008 Volkswagen Passat VR6 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

When merging on to the highway, this car is like a thoroughbred race horse jumping out of the gate. Left signal on, metal down, take to the express lane and hit cruise at 82. Slow down for the inevitable traffic delays with the left (-) paddle shifter & open the sunroof if it is a nice day. The sound system will easily drown out anyone else's sound system.
I bought this car for its' storage. Right away it needed: igniters, fuel pump, axle, alignment, brakes, lights. Timing belt broke two weeks after dealer "inspected" it. Now, with rebuilt engine, performs like new.
Body & paint are in great shape. Glass is all like new. Plastic body panels require ArmorAll. For an "old" car, the design is still fresh. Turns heads wherever I go.
Blacked out all the chrome & lowered it, with some 18's.

It's a Keeper!
By digdoug78

2008 Volkswagen Passat Lux 4dr Wagon w/Prod. End 02/08 (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I've enjoyed this car from the first time I drove it. I picked it up used. The previous owner put 18's and dropped it about an inch. Low but not too low. Drives nice. Good power getting on the highway, passing, easily cruise at 80+. Controls are easy and intuitive. You can do everything but brake from the steering wheel! You can change from radio to cd to aux from the wheel! You can speed up and slow down, from the wheel! You can turn on wipers, check fuel, driving range, real time mpg, direction, from the freakin' wheel! The seats are super comfortable. I'm 6' and I have tons of room.
The paddle shifters can be fun to use. Used properly, really fun to use.
This is a keeper!

Power. Maneuverability. Brakes. Seats. Sound System. The back seats are comfortable. They fold split, so it is super easy to load. The drive with a load is good, too. Jack and spare are easily accessed. There is space for after market electronics (Sirius, cd changer, sub woofer, etc). Back seat flips up for a little more storage. That's how I know that the previous owner had little kids, girls. Picked up the seats to find glitter, m&m's, doll parts. Other than that, it looks like they took good care of it.

How do so many leaves find their way under the hood? They clog up the sunroof drains and create rust problems. Brushed silver on the dash looks great at night, but during the day the reflection is blinding. Mine now sports faux carbon fiber. The auto lift gate doesn't work.

120K mile update
By deeper

2008 Volkswagen Passat Komfort 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

50k mile review: Have driven VW for decades and this one is no different when it comes to small things needing repair, mostly under warranty. Engine strong, gas mileage consistently exceeds EPA. With Good Year Assurance Comfort tires ride is quiet and smooth though not as sharp as stock. Fully loaded and air-condition running can easily achieve 32-34 mpg at 75mph+. Also fully loaded car doesn't seem to bog down due to turbo torque even going up hills. My daughter now drives the car after my son put miles on it but every time I get back in and drive it I smile. Wish they still sold a wagon in the US. 120K update: still runs great but annual $2,000+ maintenance over the past two years has reduced my Great rating on maintenance to poor. Still is an excellent fun driving car. Everything still works.

Love my Passat!!!!!
By tiffanyrenee

2008 Volkswagen Passat Komfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I bought my White, Passat 2.0T Komfort in 2011 used with 49, 000 miles. I had an oil consumption problem at first. I had to add oil every 500 to 600 miles but the VW dealership ran three oil consumption test found that there was a problem and fixed it. Other than some other recalls I am now at 83,000 miles and love the ride. I keep up the maintenance, bought new tires, new brake and rotors, and I am good to go. Did I say I love this car? I do.