Used 2008 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

2008 Volkswagen Passat

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

Most Helpful|
Excessively Burning Oil
By Andrew

2008 Volkswagen Passat Turbo 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I purchased a used VW Passat with 19k miles. At one point, I checked the oil dip stick and discovered the engine consummed 2 quarts of full synthetic oil in approximately 4900 miles. I approached the dealer and I was told this is normal for this engine. In fact, the service person stated, I should consider myself lucky, others are burning more! With no help from the dealer, I called the 800 VW number (March of 2010). As a solution,VW staff stated I could go to the dealer, have them change the oil, and return within the 6k oil change interval and at that time,(and at my cost) the dealer would weigh the oil and determine if I was within VW's standard.

Favorite Features

The car has good features, especially the interior room, However, the burning of oil at this rate (1 quart per 1200 miles) will reduce the life of the exhaust system, the catalyic converter and the turbo. Speak to a person who rebuilds engines for a living, I did!

Suggested Improvements

VW, needs to fix the problem. Look at the exhaust pipe. If its very black and sooty, you are burning oil. Another way to tell, (assuming your parking spots does not show and oil leak) run the engine witn the car in park and hit the gas...you will see a puff of black smoke out of the exhaust.

EXCELLENT CAR!
By fausto123

2008 Volkswagen Passat Lux 4dr Sedan w/Prod. End 01/08 (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I've had my Passat for about a couple months now and I absolutely couldn't be happier, the ride is super smooth even on rougher surfaces, its packed with features and full of space. The transmission shifts very smoothly and road noise is very minimal considering mine has the larger tires and wheels. The cabin feels very upscale, I enjoy that it has an auto hold brake feature, heated seats, and the 6 disc CD changer works flawlessly. The only negative is the chrome trim used around the windows, they oxidized rather quickly and in my opinion VW needs to improve the quality of that material. Besides that the car drives and handles like a dream !

Favorite Features

EVERYTHING

Suggested Improvements

Better quality window trim

Love my Passat!!!!!
By tiffanyrenee

2008 Volkswagen Passat Komfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I bought my White, Passat 2.0T Komfort in 2011 used with 49, 000 miles. I had an oil consumption problem at first. I had to add oil every 500 to 600 miles but the VW dealership ran three oil consumption test found that there was a problem and fixed it. Other than some other recalls I am now at 83,000 miles and love the ride. I keep up the maintenance, bought new tires, new brake and rotors, and I am good to go. Did I say I love this car? I do.

Best european affordable car!
By corneliu

2008 Volkswagen Passat Komfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I own the 08 passat 20T and the 08 passat vr6, and both are a blast. I had no issues with none of them in 4 years. I only did the regular service and thats it! With the 2.0T i got a personal record of 32 mpg/hwy, with the vr6 29mpg wich is not bad at all. I like the sprint from the turbo and the pull of vr6 from 80mph and up! great cars

Favorite Features

break hold feature is helping alot when in stop and go traffic, also the rear view mirror that dimms at night and the self leveling headlights from the vr6

Wish the execution was better.
By squashpup

2008 Volkswagen Passat Lux 4dr Sedan w/Prod. End 01/08 (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

The car itself, in everyday use, is great. Comfortable, good power, good gas mileage, styling is excellent inside and out, roomy, sporty handling, fun to drive with a good feel on the road.

Favorite Features

The Lux is so well equipped, it's hard to believe they sold it at this price point. A used one seems like quite a bargain when one is comparision shopping. Ours has nav, power heated seats, heated mirrors, passenger side mirror pivots down in reverse, umbrella storage in the door that drains to the outside, 12v. socket in the rear, sunshades in the rear window and rear side windows, trip computer, wood on the dash, paddle shifters on the wheel, Ipod connectivity, 6-CD changer, automatic wipers, automatic lights which stay on for a bit when you arrive home to let you get in the front door easily, garage door opener,

Suggested Improvements

If this car would quit shedding its tires, we'd keep it, but we have to put a new set on every 18,000 miles or so. Long before that, tire noise and vibration become unbearably intense, so much so that it is hard to carry on a conversation sometimes at highway speed. VW refuses to acknowledge there's a problem. Our car has been back to VW twice, once for a blown relay that immobilized the car, once for a whining PCV valve that sounded like the engine was about to blow up. Now, the "check engine" light is on and the engine stumbles under hard acceleration. Good car, bad execution. I would ONLY buy a used VW if it had very low miles and was certified.