Used 2008 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

It's a Keeper!
By digdoug78

2008 Volkswagen Passat Lux 4dr Wagon w/Prod. End 02/08 (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I've enjoyed this car from the first time I drove it. I picked it up used. The previous owner put 18's and dropped it about an inch. Low but not too low. Drives nice. Good power getting on the highway, passing, easily cruise at 80+. Controls are easy and intuitive. You can do everything but brake from the steering wheel! You can change from radio to cd to aux from the wheel! You can speed up and slow down, from the wheel! You can turn on wipers, check fuel, driving range, real time mpg, direction, from the freakin' wheel! The seats are super comfortable. I'm 6' and I have tons of room. The paddle shifters can be fun to use. Used properly, really fun to use. This is a keeper!

Power. Maneuverability. Brakes. Seats. Sound System. The back seats are comfortable. They fold split, so it is super easy to load. The drive with a load is good, too. Jack and spare are easily accessed. There is space for after market electronics (Sirius, cd changer, sub woofer, etc). Back seat flips up for a little more storage. That's how I know that the previous owner had little kids, girls. Picked up the seats to find glitter, m&m's, doll parts. Other than that, it looks like they took good care of it.

How do so many leaves find their way under the hood? They clog up the sunroof drains and create rust problems. Brushed silver on the dash looks great at night, but during the day the reflection is blinding. Mine now sports faux carbon fiber. The auto lift gate doesn't work.

80K and still fun to drive
By deeper

2008 Volkswagen Passat Komfort 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Have driven VW for decades and this one is no different when it comes to small things needing repair, mostly under warranty. Engine strong, gas mileage consistently exceeds EPA. With Good Year Assurance Comfort tires ride is quiet and smooth though not as sharp as stock. Fully loaded and air-condition running can easily achieve 32-34 mpg at 75mph+. Also fully loaded car doesn't seem to bog down due to turbo torque even going up hills. My son now drives the car but every time I get back in and drive it I smile. Wish they still made a wagon.

Still discovering features on the car. Spend time to learn them all.

Love my Passat!!!!!
By tiffanyrenee

2008 Volkswagen Passat Komfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I bought my White, Passat 2.0T Komfort in 2011 used with 49, 000 miles. I had an oil consumption problem at first. I had to add oil every 500 to 600 miles but the VW dealership ran three oil consumption test found that there was a problem and fixed it. Other than some other recalls I am now at 83,000 miles and love the ride. I keep up the maintenance, bought new tires, new brake and rotors, and I am good to go. Did I say I love this car? I do.

2008 Passat Lux Wagon 133,000 miles
By mrvinsurance

2008 Volkswagen Passat Lux 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I just bought this car, with 133,000 miles on it. This one was very clean inside and out, and all options worked on it. At 135,000 miles I changed the timing belt and changed oil with synthetic as recommended. I am exclusively using premium gas. Overall, very happy with it. Super smooth and respectably fast on highway. Very comfy & attractive interior. I am prepared to spend a little more for maintenance than my Japanese cars, but feel it is worth it as the overall build quality is much nicer. Again, bought it with high mileage, but it drives great.

Quiet body/frame. Comfy & toasty leather seats. 2.0 Turbo feels like an electric motor - quiet, smooth, amazing torque. It feels like a Benz or a BMW, without the price tag.

Common problem with heater door behind dash. A little more expensive than average to maintain. Otherwise, no real complaints - excellent vehicle.

Wish the execution was better.
By squashpup

2008 Volkswagen Passat Lux 4dr Sedan w/Prod. End 01/08 (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

The car itself, in everyday use, is great. Comfortable, good power, good gas mileage, styling is excellent inside and out, roomy, sporty handling, fun to drive with a good feel on the road.

The Lux is so well equipped, it's hard to believe they sold it at this price point. A used one seems like quite a bargain when one is comparision shopping. Ours has nav, power heated seats, heated mirrors, passenger side mirror pivots down in reverse, umbrella storage in the door that drains to the outside, 12v. socket in the rear, sunshades in the rear window and rear side windows, trip computer, wood on the dash, paddle shifters on the wheel, Ipod connectivity, 6-CD changer, automatic wipers, automatic lights which stay on for a bit when you arrive home to let you get in the front door easily, garage door opener,

If this car would quit shedding its tires, we'd keep it, but we have to put a new set on every 18,000 miles or so. Long before that, tire noise and vibration become unbearably intense, so much so that it is hard to carry on a conversation sometimes at highway speed. VW refuses to acknowledge there's a problem. Our car has been back to VW twice, once for a blown relay that immobilized the car, once for a whining PCV valve that sounded like the engine was about to blow up. Now, the "check engine" light is on and the engine stumbles under hard acceleration. Good car, bad execution. I would ONLY buy a used VW if it had very low miles and was certified.