Used 2007 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Reviews - 201 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

2007 Volkswagen Passat

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

Best car I've ever owned
By joseph_s

2007 Volkswagen Passat 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I think the best way to start this review is with the famous saying *results may vary. I have owned my car for the past 3 years and put over 30k miles on it. In all the time I have owned this car I have only been to the dealer a few times and only for regular maintenance and recalls. I have yet to have to pay a dime out of pocket fixing it. I have also never had my check engine light come on. There are lemons out there but they are usually not hard to spot, just check the Carfax for excessive dealer visits. The car is
incredibly comfortable ride and handling are also superb. If you do your research right and check maintenance records, this car is insane value for the money. Just be careful.

Where to start. The engine (same as in the GTI), Auto hold (stops the car from rolling on hills, and lets you take your foot of the brake in stop and go traffic/ traffic lights), the body shape (just a beautiful car), and the interior quality (feels like I'm in a $40k+ luxury sedan).

I can't really think of anywhere to improve this car. For the money you can not find another car half as good as the Passat. If I had to find an area to improve, I think the transmission could shift a bit quicker. Other than that I've spent 10 minutes trying to find a fault and can't think of anything else.

Passat 2.0T #1 Lemon !!
By hamptonpassat

2007 Volkswagen Passat 2.0T 4dr Wagon w/Prod. End 06/06 (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This is absolutely the worst car that I have ever owned in my 40 some years of owning cars. It has been a nightmare with breakdowns , burning up to 1 liter of oil per tank of gas . Misfiring , sending out smokescreens .No help or assistance from local VW dealers , VW corporate head office not the least bit helpful . I took care of this 2007 Passat since buying it in 2007 , the engine died at 165000kms (102000 miles) spent $5800 replacing the engine with another 2.0T from the salvage yard ,79000kms on the engine or 42000 miles . VW dealer installed it . Took delivery worked fine ,but burnt oil ,engine died the same death as the original engine 6 weeks after being installed .

Good looking car , rides good ,only problem ,can't drive it ,engine doesn't work.

VW should stand behind their product and admit they have manufactured faulty 2.0T engines and reimburse the owners of these lemon cars.

Great car with minor glitches
By ecm64

2007 Volkswagen Passat 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Purchased my Passat a little over a year ago with 77k. Thought this would be a good time to review what I think of this car so far. First off, this is a great driving car. By far the most enjoyable car I have owned as far as handling, engine performance, and road manners. VW has really nailed it with the steering on this car; very precise and accurate with good road feel. Also, the 4cyl engine in this car is very smooth with lots of power on tap. No turbo lag whatsoever. As for the minor glitches; main LCD dash display is starting to fade in/out and both power window switches on the driver's door that control the back windows only work intermittently. Typical German car wiring issues.

VW needs to learn a thing or two from American and Japanese automakers regarding wiring. I've noticed VW/Audi uses thin guage wiring in their cars which is more prone to failure over time. I owned a 1987 Audi 5000 and the wiring still hasn't changed in their cars in over 20yrs.

A ripe lemon
By xando05

2007 Volkswagen Passat 3.6 4Motion 4dr Wagon AWD w/Prod. End 06/06 (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

What a piece of junk. I was so excited to special order this car back in 2006. I really thought I was going to get a stellar vehicle built in Germany. Well, I got the German part of the equation-that's it. This car was one of, if not the biggest mistake I've ever made in my life. On my way home, the night of deliveryI quickly noticed that something was odd with the acceleration. There was a clear delay in forward motion once the driver depressed the accelerator. I had the car back to the dealer multiple times to address this situation. No luck. Finally the dealer contacted the regional VW rep about the issue. A software update was applied to the ECM. It improved the issue about 35%

Cabin Space Interior Design Exterior Design AWD Leather Seating Surfaces Storage

Build better quality vehicles. During the 6 or so months I owned the vehicle, it refused to start once or twice in my home garage. I thought I was buying a small Audi, what I bought was a lemon. I even contacted a Lemon law attorney in San Diego, but my case was turned down. This delayed acceleration issue was a life threatening problem. Imagine trying to accelerate onto the freeway or trying to accelerate to turn at a traffic light and there is a delay? It was pretty darn scary.

Final review of my Wagon
By rentonpilot

2007 Volkswagen Passat 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This, my friends had to be the best car I have ever owned. I bought this used with 150 miles on it in 07. It had been serviced EVERY 5k miles religiously. Every recall and warranty repair had been performed by my VW dealer, not some independent guy who calls himself "European something works or werks". NEVER once have I been left stranded by this car in the 130k+ miles I have owned it. I had 2 unexpected repairs at about 127k miles, one of the ignition coils went bad and the seat airbag on the passenger side went bad too.
The car is roomy, fun to drive and great on road trips with the family. It cost me over all 33.4 cent/mile with everything, gas, depreciation and repairs! Can't beat that.

Roomy, frugal on gas, fun to drive, love the electric tail gate, cheap to operate. 0.334$/mile including gas, maintenance and depreciation is dirt cheap for this fine German automobile. The engine and 6 speed auto transmission is a marvel and perform fantastically together. I sold it in January of this year and bought myself a 2012 CPO GTI.

Keep up the great work on these cars and bring back the new Passat Wagon!