2007 Volkswagen Passat Base Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

2007 Passat Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

Sort Reviews by

Worst car I have ever had! Lemon for sure
By ajh2009

2007 Volkswagen Passat Wagon 2.0T 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I read reviews on hundreds of cars before I purchased my used Passat Wagon. I read some negative ones but for each bad one there was a good one or two so I made the decision to become a VW owner. What a horrible Idea. My Wagon has been in the shop several times - currently for $4000 worth or repairs (not covered under warranty) Thank God I purchased the extended warranty or I would really be upside down in this car. Everything from the AC / injectors / Fuel Pump, Water Pump / Sun Roof/ You name it I have had to repair or replace it. I will never purchase a VW again. The problems I am having should be replaced - repaired at no cost because they are faulty equipment and design. Not my fault.

Favorite Features

The only thing I like about my wagon is that it is a wagon and has heated seats. Everything else - SUCKS!

Suggested Improvements

AC is not designed to cool that much space. Build a quality car - don't cut corners.

Passat 2.0T #1 Lemon !!
By hamptonpassat

2007 Volkswagen Passat Wagon 2.0T 4dr Wagon w/Prod. End 06/06 (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This is absolutely the worst car that I have ever owned in my 40 some years of owning cars. It has been a nightmare with breakdowns , burning up to 1 liter of oil per tank of gas . Misfiring , sending out smokescreens .No help or assistance from local VW dealers , VW corporate head office not the least bit helpful . I took care of this 2007 Passat since buying it in 2007 , the engine died at 165000kms (102000 miles) spent $5800 replacing the engine with another 2.0T from the salvage yard ,79000kms on the engine or 42000 miles . VW dealer installed it . Took delivery worked fine ,but burnt oil ,engine died the same death as the original engine 6 weeks after being installed .

Favorite Features

Good looking car , rides good ,only problem ,can't drive it ,engine doesn't work.

Suggested Improvements

VW should stand behind their product and admit they have manufactured faulty 2.0T engines and reimburse the owners of these lemon cars.

A ripe lemon
By xando05

2007 Volkswagen Passat Wagon 3.6 4Motion 4dr Wagon AWD w/Prod. End 06/06 (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

What a piece of junk. I was so excited to special order this car back in 2006. I really thought I was going to get a stellar vehicle built in Germany. Well, I got the German part of the equation-that's it. This car was one of, if not the biggest mistake I've ever made in my life. On my way home, the night of deliveryI quickly noticed that something was odd with the acceleration. There was a clear delay in forward motion once the driver depressed the accelerator. I had the car back to the dealer multiple times to address this situation. No luck. Finally the dealer contacted the regional VW rep about the issue. A software update was applied to the ECM. It improved the issue about 35%

Favorite Features

Cabin Space Interior Design Exterior Design AWD Leather Seating Surfaces Storage

Suggested Improvements

Build better quality vehicles. During the 6 or so months I owned the vehicle, it refused to start once or twice in my home garage. I thought I was buying a small Audi, what I bought was a lemon. I even contacted a Lemon law attorney in San Diego, but my case was turned down. This delayed acceleration issue was a life threatening problem. Imagine trying to accelerate onto the freeway or trying to accelerate to turn at a traffic light and there is a delay? It was pretty darn scary.

Final review of my Wagon
By rentonpilot

2007 Volkswagen Passat Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This, my friends had to be the best car I have ever owned. I bought this used with 150 miles on it in 07. It had been serviced EVERY 5k miles religiously. Every recall and warranty repair had been performed by my VW dealer, not some independent guy who calls himself "European something works or werks". NEVER once have I been left stranded by this car in the 130k+ miles I have owned it. I had 2 unexpected repairs at about 127k miles, one of the ignition coils went bad and the seat airbag on the passenger side went bad too. The car is roomy, fun to drive and great on road trips with the family. It cost me over all 33.4 cent/mile with everything, gas, depreciation and repairs! Can't beat that.

Favorite Features

Roomy, frugal on gas, fun to drive, love the electric tail gate, cheap to operate. 0.334$/mile including gas, maintenance and depreciation is dirt cheap for this fine German automobile. The engine and 6 speed auto transmission is a marvel and perform fantastically together. I sold it in January of this year and bought myself a 2012 CPO GTI.

Suggested Improvements

Keep up the great work on these cars and bring back the new Passat Wagon!

NOT A GOOD CAR... WILL NEVER BUY ONE AGAIN
By bashkimpopaj

2007 Volkswagen Passat Wagon 2.0T 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

i bought my passat 2.0L 2007 three months ago and have sent it to the garage three times already. the first of many problems is the injector witch has left me stuck on a road 200 miles away from home and i also had to pay 560 to be taken home by the AA. the other problem is with the key which dosent start the engine easily. the turbo which makes a bad noise. it does not have good power while you drive it. i am very upset and angry with the car and i would never consider buying such a car again and i most certainly will never consider buying a volkswagen again.

Love my Wagon
By mexglx

2007 Volkswagen Passat Wagon 3.6 4dr Wagon w/Prod. End 06/06 (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I love this Wagon! I bought used with CPO warranty from VW. Has 60K miles. They take care of every little issue. The power of the V6 is amazing. It is fast. Love sport mode. The ABS and traction control do a great job. All the features it has are amazing for a 2007. Memory seats that remember each key fob and move seats back to my spot when I open the door. Tons of room. I'm 6'3" and my daughters child seat fits behind me when I drive. Great multi-function display in dash with Nav directions/audio/trip info. Multi-func steering wheel with Bluetooth phone functions. Handles fantastic. Feels like a Benz with VW price! Discovered tons of cool features after reading the manual. Love the engine

Favorite Features

Power, Love my 280 hp v6. Power seats that remember my settings when I open car with my fob or my wife's when she opens it with hers. Multifuction display and steering wheel. Tons of space in the back (wagon). Bluetooth. Moves side view mirror down and in when I back-up. Lots of storage. One touch up and down on all windows! Get 25 mpg on-hwy with roof top carrier, loaded at 75mph. Get up to 28 mpg without carrier and not loaded. Did I say fast yet? Can open and close windows with fob! 6 disc CD. Get 22 mpg overall in downtown living. Engine has been ultra reliable.

Suggested Improvements

Wish the car played mp3 off of CD (Nav system). I installed a factory Aux-jack to be able to play mp3 from an Ipod or phone.

Unreliable and cheaply made make for an expensive piece of junk
By nmanspach

I bought this car new in 2007, have never missed a scheduled service, and take pride in keeping a neat and clean car. My car should be in tip top shape, but it is a broken piece of junk. The transmission, turbo, and starter have all been replaced. The engine light is always coming on. The electrical system has had work done several times. I often either can't open or can't close the windows or sunroof and the back lift-gate gets stuck partially open. Sometimes the computer language switches to German, but restarting the car fixes that. The interior finishes started deteriorating and coming apart at 30,000 miles. Today, two days after its 75,000 mile scheduled service, it won't start.

Favorite Features

Stowing capacity, blue lights, fun to drive (when it's working properly)

Suggested Improvements

Improve reliability and quality of interior finishes

Great highway car
By ctf60

2007 Volkswagen Passat Wagon 2.0T 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This is an amazing highway car; 36 mpg at 55 mph on a level is achievable. The cruise control makes travel effortless. I have had this car for two years now (currently with 79,000 miles). The styling inside and out is eye-catching (my wagon is glacier blue......wow, it looks better than most every vehicle on the road). When I first bought this car used, I had trouble with the check engine light. Was very erratic in my choice of fuel (sometimes I'd use 93 octane, sometimes 89). VW recommends 91 octane. Since then, I haven't varied from this and the past 5 months have not seen this light come on. Suffice it to say, that the emissions system of this car is very sensitive.

Favorite Features

My favorite features in order of priority: the styling inside and out is a knockout; the gas mileage on level ground is almost unbelievable; the acceleration is amazing; the car feels solid (I've read other reviews where owners claim that their Passat has rattles and feels structurally questionable................don't know where this comes from; my car feels solid, even after 79,000 miles); the sound system; yes, I buy that this is an affordable Audi (believe it or not, had that same feeling with a 1998 Jetta that I put 83,000 miles on).

Suggested Improvements

My only real complaint has to do with VW service. Through the whole experience with my check engine light, it was never suggested that I may be using the wrong octane fuel. Instead, I got an argument and felt generally fobbed off. I wish that VW made their sensing device a little less sensitive, as it is somewhat annoying to be driving a vehicle with the engine light lit. Please, try using 91 octane on a regular basis before calling your VW a piece of junk, yadda, yadda, yadda. Also, I wish VW wasn't so hung up on fuel economy. The shift points in the regular drive mode favor the higher gear; also, the low tire psi light comes on at the slightest change in pressure.

Nice car to drive, but unreliable
By tonester

2007 Volkswagen Passat Wagon 2.0T 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Bought the car with 15000 mi and remainder of 48/50K warranty and started experiencing problems within 2-3 wks of owning it. The stock 16 in rims started leaking, VW wouldn't fix. Replaced all rims and tires with VW 17 in and that fixed it, cost me alot. A/C went out, VW said it was fine, but after 3 attempts they finally replaced, EVERYTHING, turned out the car had the entire A/C replaced before I bought it. Next, window switches peeled, and didn't work correctly from the 1st month I bought the Passat. Hit the switch to go UP and the window goes DOWN. VW never fixed this even after trying over 5 times. Radio never worked correctly, again VW refused to fix. Rear hatchback is a joke.

Favorite Features

Styling

Suggested Improvements

VW still needs to address its dealership service woes. It really thinks its back in the glory days of the 70s and everything is the customer's fault. I had this car in so many times it made my head spin. My Honda's have never spent 24 hrs in a shop. Ever.

Second Passat Not Bad
By Doug

2007 Volkswagen Passat Wagon 3.6L 4Motion 4dr Wagon AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Had an '02 GLX 4Mo wagon, traded on this '07. This car is completely competent if not outstanding. The '02 was vault-like and had nary a noise body-wise when I traded it. This one is more jarring over bumps, something I attribute to the 17" wheels vs the 16" on the '02. Not nearly as solid vs the '02, though. I, like some others here, use synthetic oil every 4500- 5500 miles and have not had a problem in 15 months and 23k miles (68k total on the car bought used). Ergonomically it is bigger and has a better driving position. Overall satisfied. DON'T bother with the Nav system-replacement DVD's are $99/yr for updates. Got a Garmin and pd. $129 for lifetime updates.

Favorite Features

280hp with reasonable 21+mpg overall. Comfortable driving position. Good- looking car, esp when clean (black), like wagon style over sedan. Like I said it's competent in all areas though outstanding in none. Still like the '02-'05 generation better.

Suggested Improvements

The need to use Premium fuel for fear of the probs some others have had, though I have tried other octanes and performance really doesn't suffer. Also, I've always used synthetic every 4500-5500 so that doesn't bother me. No real problems other than it takes 5 minutes on hot days for the AC to cool.