Used 2007 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

I have a smile on my face every time I drive this turbo beauty and the beast
By Ondrej Stonawski

2007 Volkswagen Passat Sedan 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I purchased my black 2007 Passat with the 2.0 T engine with the manual 6 speed transmission and the sport package with black leather seats in 2010 as a certified vehicle with about 31K miles. Right now I have just over 120K on it and it runs just like new. The car corners very well, acceleration is great, breaking is great, I love the manual 6-speed, when you are in a mood and there is a good curvy, hilly road Oh man... As you will find out later on, the car is more expensive to run due to premium gas and to maintain than an Accord or Camry, but what I can say is it delivers 5 tons of joy to me everyday I drive it.I installed a hitch to it as well and it pulls 2,000 lbs like a breeze.

Favorite Features

My car is loaded with everything you could have had in 2007. Every-time I sit in the sporty leather seats I get a slight smile on my face. When I bought the car it was like a Christmas for the first month or so, every day I found out little awesome features I did not notice before. A great one is that the head lights turn the direction your steering wheel does up to 30 mph. The acceleration is fantastic, and the sound going with it reving up to 6,500 rpm is magical. The ESP has saved me several times on slippery roads with black ice or freezing rain... Winter tires make a lot of difference in areas with slushy conditions, but that is true for all cars. I love how the car looks inside-out.

Suggested Improvements

I have a strong tie to this car, it is not the reliability champion, rather an underdog with minor hick-ups like a sticking solenoid valve to take the fuel fumes from the tank to the air intake (a $50 fix - twice so far) or the sun-roof mysteriously opens up a bit at random points, or the previously mentioned push-button break, now that made me change the rear break discs and that was several hundred dollar fix, the parking break does stick now and then, but given a little patience it releases and off you go. That's pretty much it for repairs. The dealer service prices are inflated, I service my car at a local shop without any issues.

Best car I've ever owned
By joseph_s

2007 Volkswagen Passat Sedan 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I think the best way to start this review is with the famous saying *results may vary. I have owned my car for the past 3 years and put over 30k miles on it. In all the time I have owned this car I have only been to the dealer a few times and only for regular maintenance and recalls. I have yet to have to pay a dime out of pocket fixing it. I have also never had my check engine light come on. There are lemons out there but they are usually not hard to spot, just check the Carfax for excessive dealer visits. The car is incredibly comfortable ride and handling are also superb. If you do your research right and check maintenance records, this car is insane value for the money. Just be careful.

Favorite Features

Where to start. The engine (same as in the GTI), Auto hold (stops the car from rolling on hills, and lets you take your foot of the brake in stop and go traffic/ traffic lights), the body shape (just a beautiful car), and the interior quality (feels like I'm in a $40k+ luxury sedan).

Suggested Improvements

I can't really think of anywhere to improve this car. For the money you can not find another car half as good as the Passat. If I had to find an area to improve, I think the transmission could shift a bit quicker. Other than that I've spent 10 minutes trying to find a fault and can't think of anything else.

Great car with minor glitches
By ecm64

2007 Volkswagen Passat Sedan 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Purchased my Passat a little over a year ago with 77k. Thought this would be a good time to review what I think of this car so far. First off, this is a great driving car. By far the most enjoyable car I have owned as far as handling, engine performance, and road manners. VW has really nailed it with the steering on this car; very precise and accurate with good road feel. Also, the 4cyl engine in this car is very smooth with lots of power on tap. No turbo lag whatsoever. As for the minor glitches; main LCD dash display is starting to fade in/out and both power window switches on the driver's door that control the back windows only work intermittently. Typical German car wiring issues.

Suggested Improvements

VW needs to learn a thing or two from American and Japanese automakers regarding wiring. I've noticed VW/Audi uses thin guage wiring in their cars which is more prone to failure over time. I owned a 1987 Audi 5000 and the wiring still hasn't changed in their cars in over 20yrs.

When isn't my 2007 Passat in the shop!!!
By nm124

2007 Volkswagen Passat Sedan 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

After having it for not even a year. The Ambient Sensor was reading -5 degrees in 100 degree temp. When my sensor was reading wrong my AC would not blow out cool air. Car was in shop for about a month. 2 months later its back in the shop for the smae issue. This time they replaced the Instrument Cluster. So far its ok, BUT now my GasCap light goes on every morning and when I go to start my car it struggles to start. The moonroof doesnt close all the way sometimes. The car shakes now when its in park... The list goes on! I dont put the cheap gas either I put Chevron gas Premium. This is the MOST inconvenient car i have ever bought! I cant wait until I can pay it off to buy a Infiniti!!!

Suggested Improvements

Everything!!!!

Love It!
By jmf80

2007 Volkswagen Passat Sedan 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Bought my 07 12 months ago with 85,000 and put 20,000 on it. Only have needed oil changes, the check engine light does come on now and then but thats VW. Just took it on a 1200 mile trip with 90s to 100 degree heat and performed beautifully. Just a great car to drive!

Favorite Features

Engine performance, seat comfort, looks.

Suggested Improvements

Head light covers always yellow on all my VWs...Fix that and we are good.