2007 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
Worst car I have ever had! Lemon for sure
By ajh2009 on 04/29/14 13:19 PM (PDT)

2007 Volkswagen Passat 2.0T 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I read reviews on hundreds of cars before I purchased my used Passat Wagon. I read some negative ones but for each bad one there was a good one or two so I made the decision to become a VW owner. What a horrible Idea. My Wagon has been in the shop several times - currently for $4000 worth or repairs (not covered under warranty) Thank God I purchased the extended warranty or I would really be upside down in this car. Everything from the AC / injectors / Fuel Pump, Water Pump / Sun Roof/ You name it I have had to repair or replace it. I will never purchase a VW again. The problems I am having should be replaced - repaired at no cost because they are faulty equipment and design. Not my fault.

Best car I've ever owned
By joseph_s on 03/05/14 15:13 PM (PST)

2007 Volkswagen Passat 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I think the best way to start this review is with the famous saying *results may vary. I have owned my car for the past 3 years and put over 30k miles on it. In all the time I have owned this car I have only been to the dealer a few times and only for regular maintenance and recalls. I have yet to have to pay a dime out of pocket fixing it. I have also never had my check engine light come on. There are lemons out there but they are usually not hard to spot, just check the Carfax for excessive dealer visits. The car is incredibly comfortable ride and handling are also superb. If you do your research right and check maintenance records, this car is insane value for the money. Just be careful.

Passat 2.0T #1 Lemon !!
By hamptonpassat on 09/17/13 06:37 AM (PDT)

2007 Volkswagen Passat 2.0T 4dr Wagon w/Prod. End 06/06 (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This is absolutely the worst car that I have ever owned in my 40 some years of owning cars. It has been a nightmare with breakdowns , burning up to 1 liter of oil per tank of gas . Misfiring , sending out smokescreens .No help or assistance from local VW dealers , VW corporate head office not the least bit helpful . I took care of this 2007 Passat since buying it in 2007 , the engine died at 165000kms (102000 miles) spent $5800 replacing the engine with another 2.0T from the salvage yard ,79000kms on the engine or 42000 miles . VW dealer installed it . Took delivery worked fine ,but burnt oil ,engine died the same death as the original engine 6 weeks after being installed .

Great car with minor glitches
By ecm64 on 08/01/13 13:50 PM (PDT)

2007 Volkswagen Passat 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Purchased my Passat a little over a year ago with 77k. Thought this would be a good time to review what I think of this car so far. First off, this is a great driving car. By far the most enjoyable car I have owned as far as handling, engine performance, and road manners. VW has really nailed it with the steering on this car; very precise and accurate with good road feel. Also, the 4cyl engine in this car is very smooth with lots of power on tap. No turbo lag whatsoever. As for the minor glitches; main LCD dash display is starting to fade in/out and both power window switches on the driver's door that control the back windows only work intermittently. Typical German car wiring issues.

A ripe lemon
By xando05 on 04/16/13 16:35 PM (PDT)

2007 Volkswagen Passat 3.6 4Motion 4dr Wagon AWD w/Prod. End 06/06 (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

What a piece of junk. I was so excited to special order this car back in 2006. I really thought I was going to get a stellar vehicle built in Germany. Well, I got the German part of the equation-that's it. This car was one of, if not the biggest mistake I've ever made in my life. On my way home, the night of deliveryI quickly noticed that something was odd with the acceleration. There was a clear delay in forward motion once the driver depressed the accelerator. I had the car back to the dealer multiple times to address this situation. No luck. Finally the dealer contacted the regional VW rep about the issue. A software update was applied to the ECM. It improved the issue about 35%

Final review of my Wagon
By rentonpilot on 03/23/13 23:19 PM (PDT)

2007 Volkswagen Passat 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This, my friends had to be the best car I have ever owned. I bought this used with 150 miles on it in 07. It had been serviced EVERY 5k miles religiously. Every recall and warranty repair had been performed by my VW dealer, not some independent guy who calls himself "European something works or werks". NEVER once have I been left stranded by this car in the 130k+ miles I have owned it. I had 2 unexpected repairs at about 127k miles, one of the ignition coils went bad and the seat airbag on the passenger side went bad too. The car is roomy, fun to drive and great on road trips with the family. It cost me over all 33.4 cent/mile with everything, gas, depreciation and repairs! Can't beat that.

When isn't my 2007 Passat in the shop!!!
By nm124 on 11/20/12 11:09 AM (PST)

2007 Volkswagen Passat 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

After having it for not even a year. The Ambient Sensor was reading -5 degrees in 100 degree temp. When my sensor was reading wrong my AC would not blow out cool air. Car was in shop for about a month. 2 months later its back in the shop for the smae issue. This time they replaced the Instrument Cluster. So far its ok, BUT now my GasCap light goes on every morning and when I go to start my car it struggles to start. The moonroof doesnt close all the way sometimes. The car shakes now when its in park... The list goes on! I dont put the cheap gas either I put Chevron gas Premium. This is the MOST inconvenient car i have ever bought! I cant wait until I can pay it off to buy a Infiniti!!!

Love It!
By jmf80 on 07/29/12 08:31 AM (PDT)

2007 Volkswagen Passat 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Bought my 07 12 months ago with 85,000 and put 20,000 on it. Only have needed oil changes, the check engine light does come on now and then but thats VW. Just took it on a 1200 mile trip with 90s to 100 degree heat and performed beautifully. Just a great car to drive!

Great cars
By rlvwgirl on 05/07/12 08:29 AM (PDT)

2007 Volkswagen Passat 2.0T Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Maybe I am just anothr "lucky one", but I love my 2007 Passat. Prior to this VW I owned a 2000 Passat that I drove to 168k miles that had NEVER been in the shop for any repairs other than general maintenance. This 2007 car has NEVER been in the shop excluding brake maintenance and two recalls that did have to do with the computer system. Overall I think these cars are a great value, fun to drive, get good gas mileage, and the maintenance expenses are reasonable.

Second Passat Same Results
By msassano on 02/05/12 17:56 PM (PST)

2007 Volkswagen Passat 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

2001 model, 275K, 2nd set of brakes, only repair other than maintenance was tie rod ends. Virtually flawless. Now have a 2007 model, 160K, much stronger engine, fun to drive. No mechanical issues. Biggest issue is the VW dealership in Franklin, TN but the car(s) have been great. Maybe I have been lucky but seriously, no issues. BTW, still on the first set of brakes on the front and second on the rear with 160K. Stepping up to the Audi version with the next car because of the dealership, not the car.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.