Used 2006 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

Love Hate Relationship
By Co Car Girl

2006 Volkswagen Passat 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I bought mine used, 2 weeks after buying it I had to replace both front cv boots $1k a piece. in the last 18 months I have had it in the shop at least 12 times. In the last 4 weeks I have had the passenger side electrical, all 4 steering mech, wiper arms, thermostat replaced. Also have a sunroof that likes to open when not prompted. The park brake likes to set and unset itself after I turn the car off. What a joy it has been to drive every rental car known to man while waiting for parts. Thing is every time I get it back I am happy to be sitting in the comfortable ergo friendly car that drives like a dream.... when its running. Don't buy unless you have lots of time/$ to sit at the mech

Fun to drive, very comfy and has a lot of kick.

Fix ALL the electrical problems, make higher grade parts, force people to buy your extended warranty if you are not going to improve on the car. Paid for this car twice over in parts would expect higher quality

No more VWS
By 3RDVW

2006 Volkswagen Passat 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I've owned Jettas before, but this Passat is pure junk. It's been in the dealership more than with me. Replaced Throttle Valve Control, Crankcase Breather Valve, CV Joint Boot, Catalytic Converter, Compressor Condenser, the list goes own! It also has intermittent noise when accelerating (but only I can hear it). Bought extended warranty-at present I've spent $400 this year already in deductibles.

Used to be the acceleration-now its only the sleek design

VW needs to recall this car.

I love to hate my VDUB
By varuca salt

2006 Volkswagen Passat 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

First the AC busted a hole in itself then all interior parts bubbled and peeled off within a year, then my cam system blew they replaced that, then my shifting cables broke, sun visors don't work and fall out of the holes that hold them up, all buttons had to be replaced, consistent alignment problems, consistent gas cap issues, consistent check engine light, fuel pump replaced, vacuum seals and all that kind of stuff replaced, now warranty is over and I'm stuck with only one year payments left with a piece of crap that is fun to drive that I have to trade in when all i wanted was a car that would last 100k miles, I've got 58k and Im DONE.

great handling, fun to drive

DON'T BUY. the interior plastic will fall apart. too glitchy!

Been in shop 3x in 2 mos. no accident
By Cat

2006 Volkswagen Passat 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I purchased this car used at 35K and it's been in the shop 3x in the last 2.5 months with engine issues, key fob issues, fuse went, and suspension issues. The car has never been in a prior accident and never one with me since I purchased it. I'll never get another VW. Plan to trade this car in by end of year if these problems keep occurring, as I suspect they will.

Fun to drive, stylish, great interior design, and nice radio/sound system.

Very quirky car electronically. How can you make this vehicle more reliable without having to bring it into the shop all the time. I do not even drive it that much.

Having no fun with VW
By havinnofunwith vw

2006 Volkswagen Passat 3.6 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I agree with the majority of other reviews. There are a few good points (mileage, fun to drive, roominess) but it stops there. This vehicle is junk. I have experienced many of the issues mentioned, as well as catalytic converter self destructing at 81k miles. I owed a Scirocco 25 years ago. Same deal - fun to drive but unrelenting issues. Swore at the time, no more VWs. The wife talked me into this, but never, never again.