2006 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
Possible Headache with Nightmare
By Possible Nightmare on 05/05/09 20:16 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Passat 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

The sideview mirros are smaller and you can misjudge your clearance to pass. The engine valve are louder ....have had 3 recalls. I took it back and the claim it was repaired.. it is louder. The driver's side door is warped! The front speakers in the door are crackling...no one told you could put change in the top tray.. which fell down behind the dash.. no telling what damage that will cause.. get this you can't slide them out.. after I pay this off ... I am going back to Nissan...

STAY AWAY!
By elijahmike on 05/03/09 12:46 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Passat 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I bought my 2006 Passat 2.0T loaded w/ everything but Navigation as a Certified PreOwned. Long story short. In the first 3 months of ownership car brokedown once and needed to be towed (electrical brake stuck and couldn't drive), transmission issues, buttons pealing, rear door wouldn't close shut, Tire Monitoring System Failure, and the list goes on. Car was down 27 days in first 3 months and VW put $5200 into it...thank God for the CPO warranty! Not to mention this car stickered for over $30K and now they want to give me $12K for trade in...what happened to VW resale. This Passat when working is much funner than Camry or Accord, and looks better IMO but just not worth the HEADACHE!

nightmare
By alexandra on 04/21/09 16:00 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Passat 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I've had my 06 passat for almost three years but i has caused me so many problems, I am always at the dealership, it started with my windows not rolling down and it spent about two weeks to be repaired. My carpet in the interior started tearing when it was a few months old, and is reaping again after it was fixed, tire pressure sensor is on and off, air bag failure, to major problems such at recall on fuel pressure sensor that has been replaced three different times, and now the camshaft and fuel pump has to be replaced.....this car is comfortable but not reliable everyday i drive im afraid is going to leave me stranded never again will i purchase a vw! hopefully this is helpful for whoever

Major Ride
By 2006VR6 on 04/19/09 15:59 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Passat 3.6 4Motion 4dr Sedan AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Normally get rid of a car that I've purchased after 2 years. This one is a keeper. Fun factor over rides the fixes it has needed that were covered under warranty. Headlamps that bend were replaced, & auto 6 speed was flashed. Well optioned sedan that is almost the size of an A6. Only thing missing is cabin adjustable suspension. Kudos to VW. Rides super and will put a smile on my face when I ask her to respond. Picking up second Passat in two days - an 08 Lux Wagon 2.0T (chain driven) that is also optioned very nicely. Replacing our '03 Allroad. Really - No baloney/just lean venison and buffalo :-)

Warning do not purchase this car
By UNHAPPY on 04/16/09 12:48 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Passat 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I purchased this car it had only 8,000 miles on it. The car has been a complete nightmare with replacement of many valves, air compressor, condenser, peeling of interior, burning lots of oil, finally new engine, now my transmission valve body needs to be replaced. There needs to be a class act law suit, no one should have these types of problems it it a Major headache. I have missed time away from work and luckily it is still under warranty just stay on top of the dealership to fix this problem. But if you are looking buy a new car Honda or Nissan which run great.. I'm thinking about trading once the warranty runs out. I think the workers were on drugs when they built the car and parts.

Lemon of the year reward
By Disgrunted on 04/03/09 20:44 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Passat 3.6 4Motion 4dr Sedan AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I loved this car - talk about an exciting ride! Hit the gas and it flies. However, in the 2 1/2 years that we owned it, it spent 58 days in the shop - that averages out to 1 day for every 500 miles, some stuff minor, others major. Two visits were 3 weeks long because they would fix one thing and another would go bad. 4 rearends, a catalitic converter, multiple relays - parking brake, heated seats, radio etc., We actually traded this off while it was in the shop for another long visit. 500 - 200 miles between visits. Oh and the brake calipers were bad, this happened on its last visit - not really impressed.

How are all reviewers faring from 06&07?
By Jon on 03/07/09 21:51 PM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Passat 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

My Passat has been a major disappointment. I've had all types of problems: electrical/engine warning lights, stereo volume, door locking, a/c, when driving and sunroof is open it makes a horrible sound, air quality, brake inefficiency, fuel cap, the list goes on. Ironically, my car is an '06, I have a 39 mo lease and only have 24,000 miles on it. From a comparison standpoint, my 2003 Pathfinder has 50k miles, and I have only had to change the tires & brake pads. To top it off, you can't buy wipers anywhere!

incredibly disappointing on reliability
By klee on 03/04/09 06:07 AM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Passat 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

When I first got the car, I loved it. Great sport suspension ride. Responsive. But then the problems started to happen withing a month of owning the car. Thus far, tire bearing replaced, camshaft replaced, fuel injector replaced, transmission value, spark plug replaced from carbon build up (always used premium fuel with cleaning addictives!), software reflashed multiple times, radio update for sound being muffled, oil burning and I can go on and on. This is on top of the multiple recall work. Where is the quality control?!!! Have yet another appointment to address more oil burning and car jerking from downshifting. Spent more time in service for this VW than all other cards I owned in past!

OMG was I taken
By foleyarmy on 02/24/09 09:14 AM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Passat 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Yes very nice drive but OMG the issues. I should have looked at reviews, before getting this nightmare. VW is loving the money, cause they are taking it in double from us. Oil lights, low tire pressure issues, engine off lights, and the techs say "I didnt see any problems." REALLY no problems... never will a VW be in my yard again. NEVER !!!!!!!!

Worst car EVER!
By bobeans11 on 02/06/09 08:27 AM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Passat 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Do not buy this car! It is so unreliable. It has been nothing but a nuisance since I bought it 2 years ago w/problems from a constant "low tire pressure" indicator flashing, a constant "check engine" indicator flashing (only to disappear a day or two later ...), problem burning oil (you have to get it changed every 3,000 or you will be stranded on the roadside), poor roadside assistance service, faulty braking system, the list goes on and on! I will never, ever buy from VW again; terribly overpriced for such poor quality manufacturing!

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.