2006 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Reviews 5

2006 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
Avoid VW if you want a reliable car.
By Avoid VW on 06/14/10 21:32 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Passat 3.6 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

This was the worst car my family has owned. The car had numerous problems. The first was one of the xenon headlamps went bad about a week after we bought the car. The second was the windshield wipers wouldn't come on in the rain and the local VW dealership couldn't fix the problem. One of the turn signal lights popped off the car for no reason and had to be rigged to stay in place. The CV boots went bad after about 2 years. There was loud road noise if you didn't have the radio on. The speakers broke also. Problems with the parking brake. The interior lights started coming and the seat had to be removed and it cost 500 bucks.

Caution Buyers
By Tim on 06/07/10 19:22 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Passat 3.6 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

2006 3.6L Passat loaded. Passenger side Xenon headlights gone out for the second time. Can you believe a $ 460.00 repair. Incredible! Bumper needs removal to replace bulb. This car has only 17K miles on it. Thank god it was under warranty but I'm worried when the warranty ends. Other than this problem, love this car. Dealership has been great with any repairs since its under warranty.

Very Cool Car!
By Scott from Vegas on 04/28/10 02:36 AM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Passat 3.6 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

This car has been pretty great. The engine and driving performance are the kicker for me. Down shift with the steering wheel padles and you're gone. Dynaudio radio is awesome. Great options, seat memory function, parking sensors, turning headlights and side lights for cornering are great. Fit and finish inside could be tighter, in most new VWs I sit in at the dealer they seem to have a tighter interior. The AC is a little weak, and the NAV system is kinda hard to use quickly. I had a few issues with the transmission that were fixed by the dealer under warranty, but nothing major. Got 42K on it now and I'm only upset cuz they don't offer the 3.6 in the Passat anymore.

Not a B5
By ttg_wombat on 04/13/10 15:09 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Passat 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This is my second Passat, at the end of the lease now. I loved my 2002 B5. This, however, is not a B5. I enjoyed this car, but had some problems with it. The electronic parking brake has been repaired 2x now and still glitchy. It actually disengaged itself and rolled across a parking lot once! AC compressor had to be replaced and the AC is anemic anyway. The film on the dash bubbled up in the sun. In its favor: the car is just a blast to drive. I have the 6 speed, and it's a hoot. The automatic was anemic compared to the 6 speed. The sensation of a big car moving like a little roadster is comical, enjoyable and uniquely entertaining.

Number One Nightmare
By wilde13 on 04/01/10 14:33 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Passat 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This is the worst car I have ever owned. It is my second Passst. Drove a '99 for 160K miles. It has been one tragedy after another. It has been one major fubar after another. Between electrical component failures, to bad electronic ignitions and keys to having both the engine and transmission go out at 81,000 miles. Volkswagen of America had the audacity to offer me a $1000 rebate on a purchase of my next VW. I am so frustrated I don't know what to do. I have kept up on the service, why not since its been in the shop so often. You will not see me even coming close to a VW lot for the rest of my life.

Good engineering but poor reliability
By crnom on 03/29/10 13:05 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Passat 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I was looking for the car with a good performance, fuel mileage, design, and dependability. And closest car I came upon was this redesigned Passat. I was satisfied with engine performance and fuel mileage but I had to deal with too many quality problems. From water leak, multiple check engine lights (some are due to same issue), noises, and paint peeling. I have filed for lemon law after VW ignored/refused to meet with me. After decided to take the settlement for cash and I traded for another car.

Lots of faults
By VWs are Unreliable on 03/25/10 06:26 AM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Passat 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Had the car since new. I have had an endless run of problems with the car combined with incompetent VW Australia Servicing. Problems include: Turbo PCV valve failed (at 12 months) Coil packs failed (at 18 months) Drivers elec window failed (numerous times) AC compressor failed (at 2 years) Brake pedal switch failed (causing intermittent complete power loss to engine computer!) Steering column/convenience unit failed (3.5 years) Brakes replaced at 20,000km Paint peeled off drivers door handle Battery failed at 2 years Suspension noisy over bumps I'll never buy another VW, and I've already turned several friends off getting one when I explain the problems I have had. Worst ownership exp. ever.

I'm out
By I'm out on 03/22/10 16:44 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Passat 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Replaced 2 steering columns hard shifting transmission peeling interior paint burns oil - 1 quart/1000 miles suspension noises uneven tire wear replace two ignition coils lumbar problems the list goes on and on I traded it in - I am soooo happy to be out of that car

Love it
By VWforLife on 03/14/10 10:38 AM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Passat Value Edition 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I bought this car used with 70,000 miles on it and so far it's been a joy to drive. As a college student, I enjoy having a unique car because noone my age has the same car as me. My friends are always surprised when they get in my car and find out how comfortable and spacious it is, not to mention how fast this car can go. I do have issues with the check engine light coming on but it goes away. I got the extended warranty so it's not a big deal to me. I've driven many different cars because I used to work at a car rental company and this is one of the best cars in its class. Also a great deal for a used car because of its depreciation. I'm probably buying another VW after this.

Best car I have had
By Idman on 03/05/10 10:29 AM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Passat 3.6 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Purchased this 06 Model with all the Luxury options available that year. The car had 43k miles but came with a 2yr./24k bumper to bumper warrenty. Included was 90 days Sirius Radio free. This car is out of this world, it's by far the finest automobile I have ever owned. Beautiful to look at from any angle, great interior ergonomics, outstanding performance and my gas mileage for combined driving is in the high 20's. The smile never goes away when I am driving this Passat or just looking at it in my driveway. All this praise and I have only had the car for 5 weeks. I would recommend this Passat be on your check out list when looking for a world class automobile.