Used 2006 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
Capacity Performance Quality Efficiency
By tallB on 09/19/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Passat 3.6 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Owned 3.6L since new. 40k miles and a great car. Never stranded, no major issues. Get amazing MPG on the highway; e.g SF to Tahoe - avg 28 to 30 MPG City 16 to 18 depending on driving style. Solid NO rattles! Remember this was German built. Capacity! Folding rear seats can fit 7ft plus items. Rear facing child seat & still leg room in the front. No issues in a year or more. Park sensor beep in rain issue was fixed now no issues. Comp update hesitating acceleration gone. Performance, handling, features, quality unmatched. More HP & Torque than BMW 330, can take it any. Styling has held well, granted not as great as a BMW but sacrifice a little vanity for HP, room, cup holders, features.

Worst Car ever owned
By tb on 09/13/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Passat 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I've never had a car that was in the shop more than this car. It started off in the shop at 8,000 miles, and had problems ever since. I just traded it in at 37, 650 miles b/c the engine went. I thought bc I was spending more on this car that it would be better in value, that was NOT the case at all. DO NOT get a VW if you are looking for a new car; this car was more trouble than its worth!!!!

If only it were reliable
By b-radaz10 on 09/07/10 15:23 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Passat 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

When I bought this car I totally loved it. I drives great and was fun to drive. I never noticed until I went to sell it and got the vehicle service history printed out that I took it in 14 times for non-standard maintenence in 4.5 years. This is ridiculous. As soon as the warranty ran out, then I had to start paying for repairs out of pocket. Sooo disappointing. I would have loved to have kept this car, but the unreliability is so huge. I've previously owned another VW before this that had some problems. I will never buy another VW. Again, the reliability is terrible. I think VW should pay me back for the 3 visits to dealer in one month alone that cost nealy $3500.

Disappointed
By Disappointed on 09/03/10 10:16 AM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Passat 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Terrible experience. First VW in my family and never again. Under warranty: the window motor in the passenger door breaks within a day after repair (5x "repaired"), the A/C went out after only a year and while I was finishing up the work week (in the summer, of course) and driving with the windows down/ sunroof open, the sunroof decided not to close. Lock/Unlock buttons peeling. Window shade lights (next to mirror) went out within months. Right after the warranty ran out, the entire control board and steering column went out (car wouldn't start): over $1000. Cruise control broke. And now the engine has blown: $7500 plus tax/fees to repair. Too expensive to repair!!

Trade this car
By Lukas on 08/21/10 20:52 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Passat Value Edition 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I traded this car for Mazda 3 with 0 % interest , payment less money , more fun and no problem so far. Passat is junk with nice body. If You like to pay for service, spend a lot off time in dealer i strongly recommended but if you like your car to run and keep the car without of problems trade this car.

Do not spend any dime for this junk
By Luk on 08/14/10 12:29 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Passat Value Edition 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Junk junk junk nothing more I can tell you. My car is is nice looking but I have a lot of friends in service. They saw me that many times. Turbo, ac, lights front, inside too, battery, starter, turbo valves, transmission. And much more. I grow up and I trade next week soonest when I pick up from a shop.

Fantastic
By Duck on 08/12/10 12:01 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Passat 3.6 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

It's time to hear from one of the many, many happy VW owners. This is my 4th new VW since 1983. All of my VWs have been very reliable and my Passat has been the MOST reliable so far. That's why I keep buying VWs! My nearest Volkswagen service department is 120 miles from where I live. I've only take the car in for its scheduled maintenance. The VR6 is very powerful and helps to make this car a blast to drive. The Dynaudio sound system is the very best I've heard in any vehicle. This car is proof once again that the finest automobiles in the world are engineered just an on-ramp away from the Autobahn. I'm selling this one to my brother who owns a 1998 Passat which has also been very reliable

Don't buy this car
By Tony on 08/08/10 11:23 AM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Passat 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

From day one this car caused problems. I almost backed into a wall a month after owning the car - the brakes failed. I was told it was an air bubble in the brake line. Brake rotors changed, pads changed, and eventually problem went away. Gas cap light came on from the day the car was purchased. It was not until the car had over 50,000 km on it that they found that the gas tank had a leak. Bearings went on the car just over 50,000 km. Stereo CD player had to be changed out. For a high end vehicle the car had too many issues and spent a lot of time in the shop for repairs. This was my fourth VW and my last.

Waste of Money. Do not buy.
By Angela on 07/30/10 06:24 AM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Passat 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I bought a 2006 VW 2.0t passat, with 48,000 miles in may of 2009. This car is a piece of junk. Thank goodness I had a certified pre-owned warranty on it, good until 75,000.2 months after buying this, a transmission valve (I think that what it's called. Not much of a car expert.) broke. Repair costs totaled $1400.00, which I didn't have to pay b/c of the warranty. 5 months later, the check engine light came on. VW told me that my gas cap wasn't on tight enough. I took it to the dealer, $2200.00 worth of stuff wrong. Once again, all covered under warranty, thankfully. Last week, had to have the car towed from work. Engine gasket broke and pcv valve bad. $500.00. Trading it in tomorrow.

Love Hate Relationship
By Co Car Girl on 07/27/10 08:05 AM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Passat 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I bought mine used, 2 weeks after buying it I had to replace both front cv boots $1k a piece. in the last 18 months I have had it in the shop at least 12 times. In the last 4 weeks I have had the passenger side electrical, all 4 steering mech, wiper arms, thermostat replaced. Also have a sunroof that likes to open when not prompted. The park brake likes to set and unset itself after I turn the car off. What a joy it has been to drive every rental car known to man while waiting for parts. Thing is every time I get it back I am happy to be sitting in the comfortable ergo friendly car that drives like a dream.... when its running. Don't buy unless you have lots of time/$ to sit at the mech