2006 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
Do not spend any dime for this junk
By Luk on 08/14/10 12:29 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Passat Value Edition 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Junk junk junk nothing more I can tell you. My car is is nice looking but I have a lot of friends in service. They saw me that many times. Turbo, ac, lights front, inside too, battery, starter, turbo valves, transmission. And much more. I grow up and I trade next week soonest when I pick up from a shop.

Fantastic
By Duck on 08/12/10 12:01 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Passat 3.6 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

It's time to hear from one of the many, many happy VW owners. This is my 4th new VW since 1983. All of my VWs have been very reliable and my Passat has been the MOST reliable so far. That's why I keep buying VWs! My nearest Volkswagen service department is 120 miles from where I live. I've only take the car in for its scheduled maintenance. The VR6 is very powerful and helps to make this car a blast to drive. The Dynaudio sound system is the very best I've heard in any vehicle. This car is proof once again that the finest automobiles in the world are engineered just an on-ramp away from the Autobahn. I'm selling this one to my brother who owns a 1998 Passat which has also been very reliable

Don't buy this car
By Tony on 08/08/10 11:23 AM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Passat 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

From day one this car caused problems. I almost backed into a wall a month after owning the car - the brakes failed. I was told it was an air bubble in the brake line. Brake rotors changed, pads changed, and eventually problem went away. Gas cap light came on from the day the car was purchased. It was not until the car had over 50,000 km on it that they found that the gas tank had a leak. Bearings went on the car just over 50,000 km. Stereo CD player had to be changed out. For a high end vehicle the car had too many issues and spent a lot of time in the shop for repairs. This was my fourth VW and my last.

Waste of Money. Do not buy.
By Angela on 07/30/10 06:24 AM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Passat 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I bought a 2006 VW 2.0t passat, with 48,000 miles in may of 2009. This car is a piece of junk. Thank goodness I had a certified pre-owned warranty on it, good until 75,000.2 months after buying this, a transmission valve (I think that what it's called. Not much of a car expert.) broke. Repair costs totaled $1400.00, which I didn't have to pay b/c of the warranty. 5 months later, the check engine light came on. VW told me that my gas cap wasn't on tight enough. I took it to the dealer, $2200.00 worth of stuff wrong. Once again, all covered under warranty, thankfully. Last week, had to have the car towed from work. Engine gasket broke and pcv valve bad. $500.00. Trading it in tomorrow.

Love Hate Relationship
By Co Car Girl on 07/27/10 08:05 AM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Passat 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I bought mine used, 2 weeks after buying it I had to replace both front cv boots $1k a piece. in the last 18 months I have had it in the shop at least 12 times. In the last 4 weeks I have had the passenger side electrical, all 4 steering mech, wiper arms, thermostat replaced. Also have a sunroof that likes to open when not prompted. The park brake likes to set and unset itself after I turn the car off. What a joy it has been to drive every rental car known to man while waiting for parts. Thing is every time I get it back I am happy to be sitting in the comfortable ergo friendly car that drives like a dream.... when its running. Don't buy unless you have lots of time/$ to sit at the mech

No more VWS
By 3RDVW on 07/15/10 13:29 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Passat 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I've owned Jettas before, but this Passat is pure junk. It's been in the dealership more than with me. Replaced Throttle Valve Control, Crankcase Breather Valve, CV Joint Boot, Catalytic Converter, Compressor Condenser, the list goes own! It also has intermittent noise when accelerating (but only I can hear it). Bought extended warranty-at present I've spent $400 this year already in deductibles.

I love to hate my VDUB
By varuca salt on 07/12/10 12:02 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Passat 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

First the AC busted a hole in itself then all interior parts bubbled and peeled off within a year, then my cam system blew they replaced that, then my shifting cables broke, sun visors don't work and fall out of the holes that hold them up, all buttons had to be replaced, consistent alignment problems, consistent gas cap issues, consistent check engine light, fuel pump replaced, vacuum seals and all that kind of stuff replaced, now warranty is over and I'm stuck with only one year payments left with a piece of crap that is fun to drive that I have to trade in when all i wanted was a car that would last 100k miles, I've got 58k and Im DONE.

Been in shop 3x in 2 mos. no accident
By Cat on 07/06/10 17:02 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Passat 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I purchased this car used at 35K and it's been in the shop 3x in the last 2.5 months with engine issues, key fob issues, fuse went, and suspension issues. The car has never been in a prior accident and never one with me since I purchased it. I'll never get another VW. Plan to trade this car in by end of year if these problems keep occurring, as I suspect they will.

Having no fun with VW
By havinnofunwith vw on 06/18/10 07:57 AM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Passat 3.6 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I agree with the majority of other reviews. There are a few good points (mileage, fun to drive, roominess) but it stops there. This vehicle is junk. I have experienced many of the issues mentioned, as well as catalytic converter self destructing at 81k miles. I owed a Scirocco 25 years ago. Same deal - fun to drive but unrelenting issues. Swore at the time, no more VWs. The wife talked me into this, but never, never again.

Avoid VW if you want a reliable car.
By Avoid VW on 06/14/10 21:32 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Passat 3.6 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

This was the worst car my family has owned. The car had numerous problems. The first was one of the xenon headlamps went bad about a week after we bought the car. The second was the windshield wipers wouldn't come on in the rain and the local VW dealership couldn't fix the problem. One of the turn signal lights popped off the car for no reason and had to be rigged to stay in place. The CV boots went bad after about 2 years. There was loud road noise if you didn't have the radio on. The speakers broke also. Problems with the parking brake. The interior lights started coming and the seat had to be removed and it cost 500 bucks.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.