Used 2006 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Reviews - 401 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

2006 Volkswagen Passat

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

NEVER buy a Volkswagen.
By Cody

2006 Volkswagen Passat 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I purchased my 2006 VW Passat 2.0T for about $25K from the dealership. It now has106k miles. The scheduled maintenance was always done on time, including the pricey synthetic oil changes every 3k miles. After taking the necessary actions to have the car regularly serviced(in hopes of having the car last)

At 85K miles I needed to replace the front axel. ($1200)

At 100K miles my car started shifting funny. I brought it to the dealership to take a look. I was told I needed to replace the transmission. They quoted me $6000. After this shocking quote I brought the car to a reputable transmission shop. I was told the same thing, I needed a new transmission. This quote was less at $4.5K. Thats right, with 106k miles I needed to replace the transmission! In my opinion a transmission should not need to be replaced with 100K miles.

The black rubber coating on the buttons is pealing, the sunroof is leaking, and the engine is misfiring.

I would highly suggest to anyone looking to purchase a VW not to. They are stylish and affordable but the cars do not last.

people are so cheap
By lindsay

2006 Volkswagen Passat 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This car is great mine is at 160 k miles the inside of my buttons and locks buttons did peel and bubble but its only a 50$ fix... People complain about the up keep costing so much but ITS A VOLKSWAGEN! It is not an american car repairs cost more the engine is not regular its all new technology if you cant afford up keep you shouldnt buy a foreign car. Its like buying a name brand purse to look rich but not having any cash in it. [non-permissible content removed]

Keep up with it!
By Justin

2006 Volkswagen Passat Value Edition 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This is NOT a Toyota Camry or Honda Accord. It is INFINITELY better.
Things people forget, however, is that with performance comes a lack of "reliability." Don't read reviews about how people have a lot of problems. This is not a problematic car. It is a car that uses performance parts that needs to be watched and maintained. Mine was big money to keep running, but worth every penny. It drove like a sports car, carried a family like an elite sedan, and looked more expensive than it was. It never had an issue that disabled it, and it never had an issue that wasn't to be expected with the high mileage it had. This car costs about $1500 a year to keep up with repairs and maintenance. Beware, and enjoy.

Solid and fun!
By Dana Lamb

2006 Volkswagen Passat 3.6 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I bought my 2006 Passat with the V6 engine and it has been the best car I have ever owned. I had leased a Passat before with the 2.0 Turbo and my wife and I loved the roominess and easy ride. This Passat has a sports suspension (VW stiffened it up due to complaints about a "squishier" ride in older models) that she really disliked but appealed to my love of sports cars going back to the 60's. The V6 engine has been a blast, all the power I needed in tight situations and it doesn't burn oil like it's Audi cousins. I just turned 100,000 miles on it and it is not only running strong but it averages 28 miles per gallon. I figured I would lose the mileage due to the larger engine but it sips gas even when I drive it hard. My only complaint is the breakdown of the headlight covers as they fog over time and some of the rubbery surfacing on the driver's side armrest and sections of the dashboard show wear with chips and peeling. The lines on the car and interior are dated now but still cool in a guy sort of way with a black exterior and interior. If you can find one with the V6 engine grab it and take it on a mountain road to fell teh power and cornering ability. sweet ride!

What a waste of $27,000
By RWard

2006 Volkswagen Passat 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Air Conditioning went out 3rd year, window washer fluid pump went out the same year. Check engine light stays on all the time. The inside interior is PEELING... really? all buttons are worn off, the lock buttons are bubbling and peeling, even the ones in the back seat where no one hardly sits. Starting to rust. Bought brand new off the show room floor with 16 miles on it. NEVER buying VW again.