Used 2006 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

Piece of junk with great seats!
By cliffordsgal

2006 Volkswagen Passat 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Leased the car brand new in the Fall of 2005. Yea, they used 2005 parts in this piece of junk 2006 VW Passat. The 2005 had more recalls though, FUNNY THING! I've had nothing but problems since 31,000 miles. Parts breaking left and right. The hubs were toast at 60,000 miles. Really? I mean rusted through. The interior started to deteriorate at 20,000 miles and it was out of warranty by then because of the year. RUST began to show on the outside of the car at 40,000. The engine repeatedly seized in the winter time as early as 40,000 miles. In Europe they recalled this same vehicle for many many more issues than the US did and they were all built from the SAME PARTS! Yea, pretty sad.

Seats

EVERYTHING

VOLKSWAGEN FAIL.
By 4real2006

2006 Volkswagen Passat 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

expected more when purchasing new 2006 Passat, previous car was the new beetle and a friend had the 2001 Passat, when changes were made that must have cut costs with interior design and electrical system. Within 2 years, the AC failed, front headlights, interior lights and service buttons were always on. Also, after two summers of heat the ac controls, stereo buttons and auto windows had blistering and then peeling. Looks like a pos! Still drives fair considering the electrical system is out of whack. Last time I will buy new - over rated, definitely last time buying VW. Best car ever was Lexxus. **Note: the guy still driving his 2001 with 185,000 miles plus. Buy new VW & good luck.

v6 Turbo, gas mileage and stereo.

improve interior quality, trim and exterior plastic parts. Ha!

LEMON. PERIOD.
By frne

2006 Volkswagen Passat Value Edition 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Where do I even start. First off, DO NOT buy this car. I had this vehicle for almost five years and it is indescribable the feeling I had when I got rid of it. Never will I stray from Honda or Toyota again. There is a reason there are so many Hondas on the road and very few VWs. I learned the hard way. This car consistently broke down and needed repairs. Not cheaper, either. The air compressor went out twice, cold air return motor died, and numerous recalls. I honestly still can't believe a car could be so bad. On the bright side, I tell anyone who will listen how awful my experience with VW was. I have convinced at least 30+ people to never buy a VW with my previous experience.

None. Period. The car was in the shop so much that I became to despise this vehicle. VW should be ashamed of making such a terrible vehicle. I'm surprised the company didn't go bankrupt with how awful this series of cars were. Probably close to $7K in repairs on a car with less than 60K miles. Unacceptable.

See above. Save yourself the hassle and never buy a VW. It might look nice but the quality of this vehicle is incredibly poor. Expensive to fix, requires full synthetic, and premium gas. This may sound small but it really can add up over time. Read the consumer reports on this car. Completely poor for a reason. In addition, the car does not hold any value so if you buy this car new you will lose a lot of money. I have become a strong advocate for Honda/Toyota after my experience with this disgraceful product they call Volkswagen.

Sooner it's gone the better
By vw_no_more

2006 Volkswagen Passat 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This vehicle while is fun to drive has spent more time with the mechanic than with us. 5 trips to fix the injectors, 4 trips the second time they went in only 140Km. I can't believe 2 sets of injectors in only 140Km. All 4 wheel bearings failed before 80Km, AC failed, trunk release failed, and on and on. The dealer would try something and when surprise it wasn't fixed told us to book another appointment, great except we live 5 hours from the nearest dealer, in one case it took 4 trips to fix one little problem. NO support from the VW dealer so we phoned VW Canada and all I got was "that's the way our warrenty works" I guess that means tough luck consumer. Stay away from this vehicle.

drove and handled well in all weather, just can't trust it to get you from point A to B

VW needs to stand behind what is obviously a lemon year rather than chase customers away. Remember Good service and quality work keeps people, poor service and poor quality keeps them away.

Lemon Vehicle
By momi60

2006 Volkswagen Passat 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I own a 2006 passat sedan, the first year of owning the car my catalytic coverter went out. From that point each year a major componet on the vehicle goes out. Now I keep getting check engine light, the oil has to be replaced often and the cost to repair vehicle continues to rise. Now I have a camsgaft issue that is causing the regulator to leak. This is by far the worst vehicle I have ever owned. I tell everyone I know and don't via reviews to stop buying vw vehicles. They don't stand by their product. Its pure garbage, since owning the vehicle I have spent approx. 7500 in repairs. Please don't be fooled into buying this product. Its DAMAGED and UNTRUST WORTHY!!!!!!!

Inside of vehicle is nice and modern, under hood is where the problem lies.

Stand by your product, repair these vehicle at no cost to the consumer.