2006 Volkswagen Passat Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
Piece of junk with great seats!
By cliffordsgal on 12/20/14 13:18 PM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Passat Sedan 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Leased the car brand new in the Fall of 2005. Yea, they used 2005 parts in this piece of junk 2006 VW Passat. The 2005 had more recalls though, FUNNY THING! I've had nothing but problems since 31,000 miles. Parts breaking left and right. The hubs were toast at 60,000 miles. Really? I mean rusted through. The interior started to deteriorate at 20,000 miles and it was out of warranty by then because of the year. RUST began to show on the outside of the car at 40,000. The engine repeatedly seized in the winter time as early as 40,000 miles. In Europe they recalled this same vehicle for many many more issues than the US did and they were all built from the SAME PARTS! Yea, pretty sad.

VOLKSWAGEN FAIL.
By 4real2006 on 07/30/13 16:46 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Passat Sedan 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

expected more when purchasing new 2006 Passat, previous car was the new beetle and a friend had the 2001 Passat, when changes were made that must have cut costs with interior design and electrical system. Within 2 years, the AC failed, front headlights, interior lights and service buttons were always on. Also, after two summers of heat the ac controls, stereo buttons and auto windows had blistering and then peeling. Looks like a pos! Still drives fair considering the electrical system is out of whack. Last time I will buy new - over rated, definitely last time buying VW. Best car ever was Lexxus. **Note: the guy still driving his 2001 with 185,000 miles plus. Buy new VW & good luck.

LEMON. PERIOD.
By frne on 07/11/13 09:26 AM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Value Edition 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Where do I even start. First off, DO NOT buy this car. I had this vehicle for almost five years and it is indescribable the feeling I had when I got rid of it. Never will I stray from Honda or Toyota again. There is a reason there are so many Hondas on the road and very few VWs. I learned the hard way. This car consistently broke down and needed repairs. Not cheaper, either. The air compressor went out twice, cold air return motor died, and numerous recalls. I honestly still can't believe a car could be so bad. On the bright side, I tell anyone who will listen how awful my experience with VW was. I have convinced at least 30+ people to never buy a VW with my previous experience.

Sooner it's gone the better
By vw_no_more on 05/24/13 14:30 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Passat Sedan 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This vehicle while is fun to drive has spent more time with the mechanic than with us. 5 trips to fix the injectors, 4 trips the second time they went in only 140Km. I can't believe 2 sets of injectors in only 140Km. All 4 wheel bearings failed before 80Km, AC failed, trunk release failed, and on and on. The dealer would try something and when surprise it wasn't fixed told us to book another appointment, great except we live 5 hours from the nearest dealer, in one case it took 4 trips to fix one little problem. NO support from the VW dealer so we phoned VW Canada and all I got was "that's the way our warrenty works" I guess that means tough luck consumer. Stay away from this vehicle.

Lemon Vehicle
By momi60 on 10/21/12 19:08 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Passat Sedan 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I own a 2006 passat sedan, the first year of owning the car my catalytic coverter went out. From that point each year a major componet on the vehicle goes out. Now I keep getting check engine light, the oil has to be replaced often and the cost to repair vehicle continues to rise. Now I have a camsgaft issue that is causing the regulator to leak. This is by far the worst vehicle I have ever owned. I tell everyone I know and don't via reviews to stop buying vw vehicles. They don't stand by their product. Its pure garbage, since owning the vehicle I have spent approx. 7500 in repairs. Please don't be fooled into buying this product. Its DAMAGED and UNTRUST WORTHY!!!!!!!

Stay away Sell Now and Stay away. Do not buy ever.
By amravceng on 08/19/12 08:40 AM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Passat Sedan 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I own a 2006 Passat 2.0 T with 62K. This is the worst car I ever owned in my 50 years. The positive about a car is cool exterior look. The interior is falling apart. The drawers are stuck, paint is peeling off, other plastic parts have broken hinges. The engine is losing oil. I have to do oil change every 2,500 miles to keep dipstick inside the range. The wheel bearngs were replaced for both rear wheels. Air conditioner compressor died and AC didn't work for 2 years. The compressor for this car is the most expensive, due to high demand. VW of America are useless. Many Technical service Bulletins were issued, admitting the design flaws, but not granting financial aid. Stay away.

Save your money
By tarawater on 07/08/12 07:41 AM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Passat Sedan 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Since early 2007, I have had the catyletic converter split, front and read brakes replaced, steering column replaced and put on sideways...had to take it back to the dealer. Front axle, compressor, 12 tires...its awful in the snow and ice. Satellite radio died, peeling on the arms and buttons, leak in the sunroof, terrible heating/cooling system...takes forever to heat up. Electrically system messed up and when I try and open the window, it closes, then opens. Numerous other things wrong with it. In just the past 6 months I've sunk $8000 into the car. The only thing I like is the way it handles on the open road. Im so disappointed with this car and will never buy a VW again.

Very Disappointed
By xanthippe on 04/21/12 07:31 AM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Value Edition 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Bought this car new. Issues began appearing within 6 months (steering column replacement, oil disappearing with no leaks, peeling buttons, arm rests, emissions problems still, etc...). Have never experienced so many issues with a new $25,000 vehicle. Will never purchase a VW again. VW should be ashamed. Search the forums for issues on this car before you buy!!!

Awesome car until your engine blows
By jeem8 on 02/22/12 15:39 PM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Value Edition 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Brought car in for fuel pump recall/warranty. It was running rough and finally the oil pressure light came on. Had car immediately towed to dealership. Told that the engine with 80K miles is ruined due to lack of oil. Car always had plenty of oil, but apparently the pressure was just low enough to damage engine even though the warning light never triggered before this episode. So a 2006 with 80K miles is toast. Worst car experience we have ever had and we will never buy/lease a VW again. Terrible reliability.

BAD EMISSION SYSTEM
By albertobp67 on 11/19/11 13:37 PM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Passat Sedan 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

My 2006 Passat was my dream car in 2006, 40k miles later the engine light came on. $5,000.00 USD later it is still on. I take it to the dealer as required they change a part here and a part there, bill me lots of $$ and 1 to 2 days later the light is on again. I've had it, I will write to VW the dealer owners and anyone else that might be able to assist in fixing the problem.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.