Used 2006 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Consumer Reviews - 401 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Volkswagen Passat Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

Maintenance! Total breakdown!
By Jimmy

2006 Volkswagen Passat Sedan 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have had many problems....como. problems with this cars, recalls and minor stupid issues that should not happen at this mileage. Something about the pic valve makes your car idle rough and you must keep replacing it. The ignition coils always go out. Also biggest issue with this car is the timing belt. And not the timing belt itself, it's components. They all mess up so you must make preventive maintenance!?!? Your car can be running fine, then all of a sudden lock up your engine. This is a main problem. Sadly my friend warned me about it and then said "I told you so" to my $5000 sudden expense. [non-permissible content removed] Passat. Only few models are worth it for vw.

Don't buy this vehicle
By Justin

2006 Volkswagen Passat Sedan 3.6 4Motion 4dr Sedan AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I'm purchased a few VW now but I think this is the final one. My first car was a VW so there is a bit of nostalgia, but it's gone on long enough. So I purchased this vehicle used two years ago. It's a 2006 Passat 3.6 4Motion. The acceleration, driving, etc is quite good... but the reliability and built in flaws of the car make it worthless.

Specifically, when I purchased it a few weeks later one of the shocks sheared off and I had to replace that. Then, a week ago several things occurred at once and it's mind numbingly bad. I'll list the issues and the associated prices so you can gasp with me:
1. Headlights. These are HID, so they should be pricey. However, VW can't figure out how to design product, so they literally blocked one of the headlight entry ports with the windshield wiper fluid case. YOU CAN'T CHANGE THE HEADLIGHT WITHOUT REMOVING THE BUMPER. This is a thing. I'm not lying. Somebody literally built a car and blocked the headlights so you can't change them without taking the bumper off. Cost to change headlights? $800.
That's not a joke, it's $800 to change the headlights. Not even the highbeams. Just the stinking low beams. $800.
2. The trunk logo is inset... and when water gets in the inset it causes it to rust out. So I have a huge rust tramp stamp on the back of my VW because the engineer decided that having an inset logo with a well for water to sit in made sense. Price: Whatever a used trunk goes for since it'll be more expensive to have the entire thing sanded. At least $600+
3. Some random pipe broke in the engine when the headlights went out: $400
4. Super duper awesome fuel pump: $1,200+

What the what? In a world where replacing headlights and a fuel pump costs $2k... yeah, stay away from VW. The first Passat I had years ago had issues, this one has issues, and the engineering is just ridiculous. Next week I'll find out that they glued the tires to the wheels for some crazy reason and I have to replace the entire wheel when a tire goes flat. Derp.

Volkswagen Passat 2006
By Itzel Galindo

2006 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Value Edition 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Anything but VW
By Ed J.

2006 Volkswagen Passat Sedan 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Loved the car until it hit 40K. Thank God I purchased extended warranty. two A/C compressors, one ABS module, alternator, (each of these cost at least $1200), fan motor, trunk latch, catalytic converter, part for Turbo, interior lock buttons peeled, arm rests peeled (VW would not do anything about this) No excuse for any of this. I'm used to Asian cars, never had these problems with them! Had car towed twice, once for alternator and most recently for ignition part. That did it. I traded for a new 2015 Mazda6 last March. What a great car! Styling, mileage, quality, reliability. I don't understand why people make excuses for poor reliability with some brands like VW. I won't put up with it. Just read reviews. The top cars for reliability are Lexus, Mazda, Toyota, and Honda. Don't see any VW's up there do you? No excuse for poor reliability, I learned my lesson.

DO NOT BUY
By Tammy Taylor

2006 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Value Edition 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

We bought the car from my brother-in-law who bought it new and did regular maintenance like clockwork only used synthetic oil. It had 90k miles on it when we bought and was in immaculate condition besides the peeling on inside front doors. We drove 150 miles and lost oil pressure had to be towed 150 miles from home. Dealer said needed new motor $7500 and that didn't include turbo replacement. We went with an autorepair shop instead and spent 5500. Within the next 150 miles the oil was leaking. Turned out to be rear main seal and that is another 1200. We have 15k in a used car with only 90k miles on it.......Ridiculous. VW should do something about all the problems. This should be covered under lemon law.