Used 2006 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Volkswagen Passat Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

Solid and fun!
By Dana Lamb

2006 Volkswagen Passat Sedan 3.6 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I bought my 2006 Passat with the V6 engine and it has been the best car I have ever owned. I had leased a Passat before with the 2.0 Turbo and my wife and I loved the roominess and easy ride. This Passat has a sports suspension (VW stiffened it up due to complaints about a "squishier" ride in older models) that she really disliked but appealed to my love of sports cars going back to the 60's. The V6 engine has been a blast, all the power I needed in tight situations and it doesn't burn oil like it's Audi cousins. I just turned 100,000 miles on it and it is not only running strong but it averages 28 miles per gallon. I figured I would lose the mileage due to the larger engine but it sips gas even when I drive it hard. My only complaint is the breakdown of the headlight covers as they fog over time and some of the rubbery surfacing on the driver's side armrest and sections of the dashboard show wear with chips and peeling. The lines on the car and interior are dated now but still cool in a guy sort of way with a black exterior and interior. If you can find one with the V6 engine grab it and take it on a mountain road to fell teh power and cornering ability. sweet ride!

What a waste of $27,000
By RWard

2006 Volkswagen Passat Sedan 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Air Conditioning went out 3rd year, window washer fluid pump went out the same year. Check engine light stays on all the time. The inside interior is PEELING... really? all buttons are worn off, the lock buttons are bubbling and peeling, even the ones in the back seat where no one hardly sits. Starting to rust. Bought brand new off the show room floor with 16 miles on it. NEVER buying VW again.

Passatingly Addictive
By vwsince66

2006 Volkswagen Passat Sedan 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Love to drive it, bought it used at 96-K but within a month of purchase the transmission slipped and caught a hard lurching clunk when shifting,3rd and 4th gears. Then after about a week of hoping it was a glitch, the transmission got stuck in 3rd gear permanently.... Luckily it was under the warranty but the insurance company only allowed a used transmission with equal or lesser mileage. I have been driving it for about 3 months since the rebuild, and a week ago it did the "Clunk" when shifting from 1st - 2nd gear and since then has happened a couple of other times. I love driving the car otherwise and it looks sexy as hell especially when you put some wider rims/ tires on it. L

-When the turbo kicks in- -Sporty Looks-

When I bought it the Control Arm Bushings were shot, and that was a $1100+ expense. Watch for worn suspension parts, and the timing belt MUST BE CHANGED by 100k miles.=$1200 expense. Just a heads up for something to look for in your Passat purchase.... Improvements as well=Less body roll, and more aggressive suspension. More interior noise reduction

German engineering is super
By dave_anderson8

2006 Volkswagen Passat Sedan 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I got the car second-hand when it had about 20,000 miles on it and now it has already 160K miles. Awesome car. The previous owner did a great job maintaining it, so I had no problems at all with this car, except regular maintenance. It is a great car. Very fun to drive and looks great. Actually I think it looks better than the current generation of Passat. German engineering is super and trustable. Only thing one must remember is to use only premium gas (91 or above). I can see some people got problems with the car mainly because they were cheap enough to use 87 gas for the car. If you do that, you will end up with many problems. I have been using 93 gas and got no problem at all.

Fun, quality, safety.

Have to use 91 gas.

Great car
By Ray Ohio

2006 Volkswagen Passat Sedan 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I bought this 2.0T Passat in 2006 and have been driving it since then. Now it has about 100K miles on it. Great car. Never had any major issues with it. The handling is much better than some competitors in its class. My wife and I both like the look very much. So classic. I was surprised to see many negative reviews here, but I do understand normally only people who had trouble would spend time writing reviews. So I wanted to tell a little the other side of story.

Classic look, Handling, Many features.

Have better dealerships.