Used 2006 Volkswagen Passat 3.6 4Motion Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

Psst. Passat
By davidhm

2006 Volkswagen Passat 3.6 4Motion 4dr Sedan AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I don't understand why so many Accords and Camrys continue to be sold when, for a little extra, a Passat can be had. Clearly the best value in a vehicle that we have owned and one of the best vehicles we have owned, period. And, that goes back a ways, folks.

Interior ambiance & get up and go!

V6 4MOTION
By Furley

2006 Volkswagen Passat 3.6 4Motion 4dr Sedan AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I absolutely love this car! Currently, the car has 57,203 miles on it and I have had ABSOLUTELY NO PROBLEMS with this car. It handles like a sports car. It's VERY fast and has more than enough power. The black interior looks like new. The silver exterior is still shinny (even though I don't really clean or wax it). It doesn't get stuck when those wonderful nor'easters hit us here in PA. This car will cruise easily faster than any other car I have ever owned.

I like the duel heated/power seats. I really like the Auto climate control. I love the 4MOTION; the snow is not a problem now. I like the upgrade of the wood trim dash I like the auto lights that are programmable. The sun shades that pull up on the back windows are a neat option.

The rain sensing wipers are annoying sometimes; they don't always turn on and other times they run on high when it's not necessary. The chrome around the doors is starting to corrode. The bass from the stereo could have more "feel" to it. The brakes squeal too much, a common problem.

Major Ride
By 2006VR6

2006 Volkswagen Passat 3.6 4Motion 4dr Sedan AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Normally get rid of a car that I've purchased after 2 years. This one is a keeper. Fun factor over rides the fixes it has needed that were covered under warranty. Headlamps that bend were replaced, & auto 6 speed was flashed. Well optioned sedan that is almost the size of an A6. Only thing missing is cabin adjustable suspension. Kudos to VW. Rides super and will put a smile on my face when I ask her to respond. Picking up second Passat in two days - an 08 Lux Wagon 2.0T (chain driven) that is also optioned very nicely. Replacing our '03 Allroad. Really - No baloney/just lean venison and buffalo :-)

Front and rear parking sensors. Cornering lamps that light up in city/village night driving and dim out after corner. 6 speed tiptronic w/ paddles. Good adjustable power seats w/ power lumbar. Fit and finish. Re-engineered VR6. Good looking exterior and interior.

Configure in blue tooth, option in adjustable dampers for suspension, bring back the comfort seats and more than 1 trim level. Split the 4 motion to 65/35 rear/front. Improve on the auto wiper rain sensor/detector.

Lemon of the year reward
By Disgrunted

2006 Volkswagen Passat 3.6 4Motion 4dr Sedan AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I loved this car - talk about an exciting ride! Hit the gas and it flies. However, in the 2 1/2 years that we owned it, it spent 58 days in the shop - that averages out to 1 day for every 500 miles, some stuff minor, others major. Two visits were 3 weeks long because they would fix one thing and another would go bad. 4 rearends, a catalitic converter, multiple relays - parking brake, heated seats, radio etc., We actually traded this off while it was in the shop for another long visit. 500 - 200 miles between visits. Oh and the brake calipers were bad, this happened on its last visit - not really impressed.

Exhilarating power - hit the gas and the car flies Very comfortable - completely loaded Beautiful car

Build a more reliable car

Passat Issues Since Purchase
By Greg

2006 Volkswagen Passat 3.6 4Motion 4dr Sedan AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

After 16,500 miles, I sold my Passat due to the on-going quality and reliability since buying the car 22 months ago. The car has spent overt six weeks in the dealership primarily for a new transmission, new exhaust system and new fuel system. I reached a point with the car that I was afraid to go over normal road bumps. VW did supply me with rental cars. Overall, I would not recommend buying VW. Just too many issues with the quality and reliability. Please do additional research if you are going to buy a VW. Ask mechanics and rental car agencies about their experience with VWs. If you buy one, you should get to know the service manager.

Various power options (xenon lights, radio, lighting), AWD, leather, and engine power.

Quality control improvements at VW. I have heard so many stories about the poor quality of VWs since I bought the car. I would also change the rear trunk design to be more rounded.