Used 2006 Volkswagen Passat 3.6 4Motion Consumer Reviews - 21 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

2006 Volkswagen Passat

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

Don't buy this vehicle
By Justin

2006 Volkswagen Passat 3.6 4Motion 4dr Sedan AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I'm purchased a few VW now but I think this is the final one. My first car was a VW so there is a bit of nostalgia, but it's gone on long enough. So I purchased this vehicle used two years ago. It's a 2006 Passat 3.6 4Motion. The acceleration, driving, etc is quite good... but the reliability and built in flaws of the car make it worthless.

Specifically, when I purchased it a few weeks later one of the shocks sheared off and I had to replace that. Then, a week ago several things occurred at once and it's mind numbingly bad. I'll list the issues and the associated prices so you can gasp with me:
1. Headlights. These are HID, so they should be pricey. However, VW can't figure out how to design product, so they literally blocked one of the headlight entry ports with the windshield wiper fluid case. YOU CAN'T CHANGE THE HEADLIGHT WITHOUT REMOVING THE BUMPER. This is a thing. I'm not lying. Somebody literally built a car and blocked the headlights so you can't change them without taking the bumper off. Cost to change headlights? $800.
That's not a joke, it's $800 to change the headlights. Not even the highbeams. Just the stinking low beams. $800.
2. The trunk logo is inset... and when water gets in the inset it causes it to rust out. So I have a huge rust tramp stamp on the back of my VW because the engineer decided that having an inset logo with a well for water to sit in made sense. Price: Whatever a used trunk goes for since it'll be more expensive to have the entire thing sanded. At least $600+
3. Some random pipe broke in the engine when the headlights went out: $400
4. Super duper awesome fuel pump: $1,200+

What the what? In a world where replacing headlights and a fuel pump costs $2k... yeah, stay away from VW. The first Passat I had years ago had issues, this one has issues, and the engineering is just ridiculous. Next week I'll find out that they glued the tires to the wheels for some crazy reason and I have to replace the entire wheel when a tire goes flat. Derp.

Psst. Passat
By davidhm

2006 Volkswagen Passat 3.6 4Motion 4dr Sedan AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I don't understand why so many Accords and Camrys continue to be sold when, for a little extra, a Passat can be had. Clearly the best value in a vehicle that we have owned and one of the best vehicles we have owned, period. And, that goes back a ways, folks.

Interior ambiance & get up and go!

V6 4MOTION
By Furley

2006 Volkswagen Passat 3.6 4Motion 4dr Sedan AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I absolutely love this car! Currently, the car has 57,203 miles on it and I have had ABSOLUTELY NO PROBLEMS with this car. It handles like a sports car. It's VERY fast and has more than enough power. The black interior looks like new. The silver exterior is still shinny (even though I don't really clean or wax it). It doesn't get stuck when those wonderful nor'easters hit us here in PA. This car will cruise easily faster than any other car I have ever owned.

I like the duel heated/power seats. I really like the Auto climate control. I love the 4MOTION; the snow is not a problem now. I like the upgrade of the wood trim dash I like the auto lights that are programmable. The sun shades that pull up on the back windows are a neat option.

The rain sensing wipers are annoying sometimes; they don't always turn on and other times they run on high when it's not necessary. The chrome around the doors is starting to corrode. The bass from the stereo could have more "feel" to it. The brakes squeal too much, a common problem.

Major Ride
By 2006VR6

2006 Volkswagen Passat 3.6 4Motion 4dr Sedan AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Normally get rid of a car that I've purchased after 2 years. This one is a keeper. Fun factor over rides the fixes it has needed that were covered under warranty. Headlamps that bend were replaced, & auto 6 speed was flashed. Well optioned sedan that is almost the size of an A6. Only thing missing is cabin adjustable suspension. Kudos to VW. Rides super and will put a smile on my face when I ask her to respond. Picking up second Passat in two days - an 08 Lux Wagon 2.0T (chain driven) that is also optioned very nicely. Replacing our '03 Allroad. Really - No baloney/just lean venison and buffalo :-)

Front and rear parking sensors. Cornering lamps that light up in city/village night driving and dim out after corner. 6 speed tiptronic w/ paddles. Good adjustable power seats w/ power lumbar. Fit and finish. Re-engineered VR6. Good looking exterior and interior.

Configure in blue tooth, option in adjustable dampers for suspension, bring back the comfort seats and more than 1 trim level. Split the 4 motion to 65/35 rear/front. Improve on the auto wiper rain sensor/detector.

Lemon of the year reward
By Disgrunted

2006 Volkswagen Passat 3.6 4Motion 4dr Sedan AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I loved this car - talk about an exciting ride! Hit the gas and it flies. However, in the 2 1/2 years that we owned it, it spent 58 days in the shop - that averages out to 1 day for every 500 miles, some stuff minor, others major. Two visits were 3 weeks long because they would fix one thing and another would go bad. 4 rearends, a catalitic converter, multiple relays - parking brake, heated seats, radio etc., We actually traded this off while it was in the shop for another long visit. 500 - 200 miles between visits. Oh and the brake calipers were bad, this happened on its last visit - not really impressed.

Exhilarating power - hit the gas and the car flies Very comfortable - completely loaded Beautiful car

Build a more reliable car