2005 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Review: Totally Unreliable Car

2005 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Review

GL 1.8T Sedan (1.8L 4-cyl. Turbo 5-speed Manual)

Totally Unreliable Car
By Olney on

2005 Volkswagen Passat GL 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I love the super positive reviews from people who have owned a VW for all of 1 day! Wow, no problems after 1 whole day! Imagine that! Must be a great car! We have had a 2000 Passat 1.8T B5 for 2 1/2 years. Its a great car if you don't mind spending thousands of dollars a year in repairs. It is the most unreliable car we have ever owned (30 years of driving). VW does not stand behind its products. We have been to three dealers and they are incompetent and occasionally criminal. We have no confidence in either our car, VW dealers or VW of America. As a result, we are trading in on an Infiniti this week. I will never buy a Volkswagen again nor can I recommend one.

Favorite Features

Volkswagen ought to be ashamed of the poor mechanical quality of their vehicles. Even the plastic oil dipstick handle broke! How pathetic is that? In all my born days, I never heard of an oil dipstick handle breaking. VW must have acquired its engineers from YUGO -- car parts too.

Suggested Improvements

VWs are under engineered. Don't believe the advertising hype about "German engineering." For example, we had to replace all the tie rods and control arms after less than 60,000 miles. Original VW equipment is cheap junk. Everything breaks or wears out too soon. And VW will fight warranty coverage.