There is a reason for the short warranty
By Bill on
2005 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)
I purchased 2 used VW prior. No issues with them. Finally got my brand new wagon. Love the performance and style. Hate all the issues. I am selling it and not sure what the replacement will be. I have spent more money out of pocket in 4 years on this car than my 10 year old Ford Taurus... by a lot. If VW extended its warranty greater than 36 months, the company would go under with the extra cost. I have contacted VW of America several times and my complaints fell on deaf ears. If you are reviewing for potentially buying a VW, don't buy one.
Favorite Features
Love the room of the wagon. I can not count how many times I have filled it. Love the performance and mileage of the 1.8T. The car enjoys corners. With the black and 17 inch spoke wheels, the car is shape sitting still. I have done several 12 hour road trips and could have drove longer.
Suggested Improvements
Too many problems. Oil sludge that was not covered under warranty. 2 coil packs failed during a cold October night driving home with the kids... under warranty but still a headache. A couple electrical issues. Window pin fell out $200 fix. Noise in the front end the Tech can not find.