2005 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Review: Do Not Make the Same Mistake I

2005 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Review

GLS TDI Sedan (2.0L 4-cyl. Turbo Diesel 5-speed Automatic)

Do Not Make the Same Mistake I Did!
By SCOTT on

2005 Volkswagen Passat GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I purchased my 05 Passat TDI due to an increase in my daily commute and was sold on VW's diesel reputation for reliability and economy. After several warranty items were addressed(power window switches, bulbs, door seals, ext. brightwork, antenna, MAF and turbo sensor, battery) I wasn't too confident in the car. Despite my constant engine maintenance(oil change 8000 km with correct oil)the camshaft failed at 122km.($2400 repair) At 131km the oil pump chain tensioner failed.($1200 repair) All parts replaced with VW orig parts, not upgraded or any defects corrected. VW Cda had no interest in answering my calls, letters or questions. Now my fuel economy has dropped to mid 20's for some reason.

The local VW dealership has a great waiting room and associates are very friendly. I love how the car drives and handles when running and is very good in the snow. Except deep snow will tear out the engine belly pan. ($400 plus install) Quiet to drive with the sunroof open at 120 km/hr.

VW must stand behind their products, admit engineering errors and correct faults. My car was OK under warranty if the dealership had loaners available. My most recent loaner was an 01 jetta wagon with 343 km, original engine and transmission. Sadly mine is very unreliable and disappointing.