2005 Volkswagen Passat 2.0L 4-cyl. Turbo Diesel 5-speed Automatic Consumer Review - TDI Wagon Still Strong

2005 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Review

2005 Volkswagen Passat GL TDI Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

GL TDI Wagon (2.0L 4-cyl. Turbo Diesel 5-speed Automatic)

TDI Wagon Still Strong
By ScottM on

2005 Volkswagen Passat GL TDI Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I wrote my last review of my wagon almost 2 years ago. My car now has 55K miles and is better than ever. Since the stock suspension is very wallowy I replaced the shocks & springs @ 50K with H&R springs and Bilstein shocks from the Tire Rack. Wow, feels like driving a brand new A6. A worn CV boot was found and replaced during suspension work. Thats it, no other problems. This car had the Upsolute ECU reflash done to it over two years ago and not a single problem. It adds an extra 30HP and 50ft-lbs torque. This thing pulls like a freight train and gets 38 MPG on long trips. Replaced stock stereo which stinks with a $250 (installed!) Sony from Best Buy. Way better even w/ stock speakers.

Favorite Features

300 ft-lbs of torque from Upsolute ECU reflash. Amazing feel of the H&R springs and Bilstein shocks. Compliant but firm and paired beautifully to the motor and chassis. Great MPG. Lots of room for kids and stuff. Great exterior styling. Interior stying is always good in VW/Audi no matter what model.

Suggested Improvements

Some plastic surfaces peeling. Tan interior not good with kids. Ages poorly and stains easilly. Work on interior electrical.