2005 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Review: Great Car But.....

2005 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Review

GL TDI Sedan (2.0L 4-cyl. Turbo Diesel 5-speed Automatic)

Great Car But.....
By jtmma on

2005 Volkswagen Passat GL TDI Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

Purchased this car in 2010 with 67,000KM from VW as a pre-owned certified vehicle with a 40,000KM or 2 year bumper to bumper warranty. It has been exceptional for me during this time. I am now at 200,000KM and have serviced it regularly as required. I still enjoy the drive as I commute up to 2-3 hours daily doing sales. However, just had a major recent issue. My transmission quit completely out of nowhere. It is a self sealed unit and very difficult to service, nor does it say it requires any routine maintenance. This is a $4500 issue to get a factory repaired/replaced transmission from VW. Luckily I had a friend who rebuilt and swapped it for considerably less.

Fuel economy is excellent for the age, size and weight of this car. Diesel engine pulls very well, tons of torque. Handles quite well in the snow. Comfortable interior gets the job done, even after years of driving.

-CV boots and joints are prone to wear. -Transmission can have major issues after the 150,000km mark -Seat material is not breathable and makes your back sweat profusely -Minor electrical issues could be addressed Overall, I would buy this vehicle again and recommend it.