Luxury Ride, Econobox Mileage
By Tomato Pie on
2005 Volkswagen Passat GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)
Driving 96 miles each day, I needed to replace my wonderful 1991 Acura Legend that had accumulated 215,000 miles. I wanted to retain the great comfort, safety, and performance of the Acura while improving on the 25 mpg I was getting. Research took me to the TDI Passat, and I got one of the last leftovers for 2005 (cannot get the diesel in the 2006 Passat). I have logged 5,000 miles and I am THRILLED with this car. It is powerful, comfortable, and I am averaging 43 mpg on the highway when I can keep my speed under 65.
Favorite Features
The fuel economy is better than advertised (dash gauge tells you how you are doing & trains you to drive more efficiently), handling is wonderful, road noise is minimal, comfort is good, rear seat room is good, trunk room is very good, and Monsoon sound system is superb. Tilting moonroof to vent on hot days.
Suggested Improvements
Place sound system controls on the steering wheel. Allow adjustment for angle of seat bottom. Fix the passenger seat so it doesn't rattle when unoccupied. Add more storage nooks and cup holders in passenger area. Glovebox is small and cheesy.