2005 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Review: Good car with some problems

2005 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Review

GLS 1.8T 4Motion Sedan (1.8L 4-cyl. Turbo AWD 5-speed Automatic)

Good car with some problems
By Brian00074 on

2005 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

This is an excellent riding vehicle with decent power and good looks. The data display and heated seats are great features. I had two strange things happen with this car. First was minor. The chrome strip along the rear door pulled away somehow and took paint off the front door the next time I opened it. It happened on a very very cold day and I suspect some water froze behind it. The second thing was much more serious. I got home one night and tried to back into my spot but the car would not move. Turned out that I needed a whole new transmission, which Kelly VW replaced with no hassle. It's running well but making a strange noise after rolling a few feet. I'm taking it back again.

Smooth ride, good looks, heated seats, data display is useful, stereo is quite good.

Seat adjustment by dial is a little cumbersome. It's ok for the lumbar but not the upright adjustment. A lever would serve better. The stock windshield wipers were terrible. Probably could use a few more horses but it's the best four cylinder I've ever driven.