2005 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Review: Fun and Powerful car

2005 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Review

GLS TDI Sedan (2.0L 4-cyl. Turbo Diesel 5-speed Automatic)

Fun and Powerful car
By dyma82 on

2005 Volkswagen Passat GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I used to own a Mercedes 300D. I was amazed with what 40 years have done with diesel technology. Compared to my old Mercedes my new Passat does not vibrate at all, and the noise…what noise…I couldn’t believe it was a diesel. Amazing how this car takes off with this little power plan. My old Mercedes took for ever to pickup speed from standing still. However, my new Passat…oh man…it will easily skid it’s from wheels with three people inside if you push it to hard. In fact, the Passat TDI serves as a fresh reminder of this: After driving torque-rich diesels awhile, gas engines, even very powerful ones, seem anemic, as if there's a hole in their power curves. Diesels, thus, are addicting. Watch out!

Very, very good power for such a cute engine zipping fuel at such an efficient rate. I have measured 55 MPG on the highway on my Passat. Just amazing! And it is fast...really,really fast.

I have owned it for three months only. None so far.