Dealerships Ruin the Experience
By Sean Craft on
2005 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)
OK, so these cars are loaded with equipment, ultra stylish, good looking and very eurochic. This being said, this is my second Passat and I am again having troubles with the service department and small reliability issues with a rattles and wind whistles. I will be taking it in for the third visit to fix the same issues soon and meeting with a company rep to file a case just in case I have to lemon law it. These cars have tons of style but I feel that for the price they should have had a smoother turbo with less lag (not a good choice if you do a lot of city driving, esp. with auto) or a more powerful V6 available (problem solved in the 2006 model, it seems).
Favorite Features
Powerful HVAC, heated seats, express up and down windows, styling, size and space, equipment level, interior design, seats, monsoon stereo, quiteness at cruising speed, adjustable armrest, tilt and telescope steering wheel, one touch sunroof, autostick transmission, nighttime lighting, folding seats, handling, ride, and steering.
Suggested Improvements
The 1.8T engine should have been tuned to 200 or more HP as in the Audis. The V6 is smooth but way underpowered compared to competition. The turbo lag makes this car not a good choice if you do primarily city driving, especially with an automatic transmission. This is a much better highway car. The gas mileage could be better. Work on the rattles!