2005 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Review: Bye Bye V-70

2005 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Review

GLS TDI Wagon (2.0L 4-cyl. Turbo Diesel 5-speed Automatic)

Bye Bye V-70
By Jeff OB on

2005 Volkswagen Passat GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

Leaving my 1999 Volvo V-70 Wagon behind in the lot was very easy to do last week as I stepped into a new stonehenge grey VW TDI wagon. It would have been easy to do, had I felt the desire, despite the direct sunlight above the rear view mirror because the folks from VW decided to put an extra 'flip down' sun visor directly above it. This feature may be trite, yet it demonstrates the amount of thought put into this vehicle. I'm looking forward to having a positive experience with this car that is rated at 40 miles to the gallon! This is my first deisel, it sounds normal, it has more engine braking than a gas engine but when the turbo kicks in,it kicks in and you have everything you need.

Fuel Economy, blue illumination in dash, fog lights, right side fuel door, monsoon audio, alloy wheels, large tires, color(sometimes it looks grey, sometimes silver, and always with a slight hint of green), chrome finishings inside and out and oh yes did I mention fuel economy? 600+ miles to a tank!

I'm very used to climate control and this vehicle is not equipped with it. It may have been an option? I was to taken by the car to think of it. Make 100000 standard mileage on the warrenty, let us pay extra to go to 150 or 200 thousand miles? 50000 seems too low, no?