2005 Volkswagen Passat 1.8L 4-cyl. Turbo 5-speed Automatic Consumer Review - Beware VW Fans!!!!

2005 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Review

GL 1.8T Sedan (1.8L 4-cyl. Turbo 5-speed Automatic)

Beware VW Fans!!!!
By iblackwell on

2005 Volkswagen Passat GL 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

After owning VW's for years this will be my last. I actually traded the Passat today for a BMW and I couldn't be more relieved. The problems and repairs have been unending from the start. Under 3 mo. old, the sunroof leaked and all of the carpet had to be replaced, I have replaced (3) Front axles, a valve cover gasket, numerous sensors, the thermastat, (3) window regulators, motor mounts, Both headlights because they turned white after three years and wouldn't pass inspection. I even had to replace the antenna and the oil dip stick because they fell apart. Lastly the interior trim peeled off (VW sprays a coating over plastic - ???) All this at 75000 miles! The services every 5K are COSTLY!

Favorite Features

Good gas mileage and spacious. Good Trunk size and storage areas around the car.

Suggested Improvements

VW needs to go back to the drawing board and build dependable cars like they once did and leave the luxary car market to BMW & Mercedes.