Used 2005 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

2005 Volkswagen Passat Sedan

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

Dealerships Ruin the Experience
By Sean Craft

2005 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

OK, so these cars are loaded with equipment, ultra stylish, good looking and very eurochic. This being said, this is my second Passat and I am again having troubles with the service department and small reliability issues with a rattles and wind whistles. I will be taking it in for the third visit to fix the same issues soon and meeting with a company rep to file a case just in case I have to lemon law it. These cars have tons of style but I feel that for the price they should have had a smoother turbo with less lag (not a good choice if you do a lot of city driving, esp. with auto) or a more powerful V6 available (problem solved in the 2006 model, it seems).

Favorite Features

Powerful HVAC, heated seats, express up and down windows, styling, size and space, equipment level, interior design, seats, monsoon stereo, quiteness at cruising speed, adjustable armrest, tilt and telescope steering wheel, one touch sunroof, autostick transmission, nighttime lighting, folding seats, handling, ride, and steering.

Suggested Improvements

The 1.8T engine should have been tuned to 200 or more HP as in the Audis. The V6 is smooth but way underpowered compared to competition. The turbo lag makes this car not a good choice if you do primarily city driving, especially with an automatic transmission. This is a much better highway car. The gas mileage could be better. Work on the rattles!

German quality is gone for good
By sayNOtoVW

2005 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GL 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Was fun in the beginning. Now that the sludge problem (well known by VW, but denied - google the internet) has manifested itself the car is only driven when i know someone can come pick me up when it breaks down. After $7000 in engine repairs (all routine maintenance done on schedule by VW dealers) the car is running again but it took three trips back to the dealer to get everything fixed. "Sorry", "out of warranty", "haven't seen this problem in the 2005's are just a few of the things said by VW America and dealer. I'll never buy VW and would not recommend to anyone.

Favorite Features

styling

Suggested Improvements

Admit your well documented,engineering problems and provide repairs and corrective actions for your customers (even if the warranty is expired) before you loose all of them.

Everything was great, until...
By Lisa

2005 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GL 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I have had this car for 5 years. It was doing great until I hit the 75,000 miles. I drive about 72 miles a day, so I understand that the ware and tear is a lot more then others. I had a warranty up to 100,000 and right when it passed 100,000 the "oil pressure STOP" light went on. According to what I have read, it looks like these models have a sludge problem. It looks like they have been having this problem for most of their passat models. They do have an extended warranty for 99-04, but not 05. Also, they make it hard to cover, because they want EVERY SINGLE piece of documentation of oil change services. Now I'm stuck with this car, trying to figure out if it's worth fixing or get rid of it

Favorite Features

I love the interior and exterior design. Smooth ride.

Suggested Improvements

My suggestion to people is not to buy 99-05 passats due to engine/sludge problems that will end up giving you a big headache. My suggestion to the vw dealer is to acknowledge that the 05 has the same problems as the others and do something to help the people instead of giving them a hard time.

2005 Passat
By drcar1

2005 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

To be honest I haven't had any problems with my 2005 VW. It has worked great, it is fun to drive maybe too fun....I get a lot of speeding tickets in it and I've been pulled over several times going like 5-10 over so maybe it looks fast too!? As for everything else I get regular inspections on the car and it works great. Just have to take car of it. Take it to the dealership at least once a year to run diagnostics and you're good to go.

The Wow Factor
By David Morelli

2005 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I was not sure about buying a car known for its hippie genre. Then my wife convinced me to try it out and give it a drive since she had a VW in Argentina that she said was great. I was so impressed by the way the car handled. It seemed that the faster I went the better the drive got. I am a firm believer now and have been now for 6 years and 4 different VW's.

Favorite Features

The confortable seats, tons of leg room, and great stock stereo system.

Suggested Improvements

Give it more toys, bit it looks like VW has already done that in the 2006 model.