Used 2005 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Consumer Reviews - 70 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Volkswagen Passat Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2005 Volkswagen Passat Sedan

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

The Wow Factor
By David Morelli

2005 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I was not sure about buying a car known for its hippie genre. Then my wife convinced me to try it out and give it a drive since she had a VW in Argentina that she said was great. I was so impressed by the way the car handled. It seemed that the faster I went the better the drive got. I am a firm believer now and have been now for 6 years and 4 different VW's.

The confortable seats, tons of leg room, and great stock stereo system.

Give it more toys, bit it looks like VW has already done that in the 2006 model.

Dealerships Ruin the Experience
By Sean Craft

2005 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

OK, so these cars are loaded with equipment, ultra stylish, good looking and very eurochic. This being said, this is my second Passat and I am again having troubles with the service department and small reliability issues with a rattles and wind whistles. I will be taking it in for the third visit to fix the same issues soon and meeting with a company rep to file a case just in case I have to lemon law it. These cars have tons of style but I feel that for the price they should have had a smoother turbo with less lag (not a good choice if you do a lot of city driving, esp. with auto) or a more powerful V6 available (problem solved in the 2006 model, it seems).

Powerful HVAC, heated seats, express up and down windows, styling, size and space, equipment level, interior design, seats, monsoon stereo, quiteness at cruising speed, adjustable armrest, tilt and telescope steering wheel, one touch sunroof, autostick transmission, nighttime lighting, folding seats, handling, ride, and steering.

The 1.8T engine should have been tuned to 200 or more HP as in the Audis. The V6 is smooth but way underpowered compared to competition. The turbo lag makes this car not a good choice if you do primarily city driving, especially with an automatic transmission. This is a much better highway car. The gas mileage could be better. Work on the rattles!

Chrome Oxidizing All Over Body
By Debra

2005 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

Volkswagen is using junk chrome on it's exterior. The chrome all over my car began to oxidize at about 5,000 miles. Dealer said that they had never heard of this problem, although VW had developed a special creme to buff out this problem they've never heard about. Buffed once, reoxidized, regional manager is telling me I have to take off work to have it buffed out again. Why? Just replace the faulty chrome. Shame on you, Volkswagen! I love the car otherwise, but I am souring on the company after what I've been through. Initially, they were not willing to do anything. Too bad, so sad. Disappointing gas milage. You can do better, VW...

I'm really not very happy with this company at the moment. Sorry!

Use higher quality components.

Totally Unreliable Car
By Olney

2005 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GL 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I love the super positive reviews from people who have owned a VW for all of 1 day! Wow, no problems after 1 whole day! Imagine that! Must be a great car! We have had a 2000 Passat 1.8T B5 for 2 1/2 years. Its a great car if you don't mind spending thousands of dollars a year in repairs. It is the most unreliable car we have ever owned (30 years of driving). VW does not stand behind its products. We have been to three dealers and they are incompetent and occasionally criminal. We have no confidence in either our car, VW dealers or VW of America. As a result, we are trading in on an Infiniti this week. I will never buy a Volkswagen again nor can I recommend one.

Volkswagen ought to be ashamed of the poor mechanical quality of their vehicles. Even the plastic oil dipstick handle broke! How pathetic is that? In all my born days, I never heard of an oil dipstick handle breaking. VW must have acquired its engineers from YUGO -- car parts too.

VWs are under engineered. Don't believe the advertising hype about "German engineering." For example, we had to replace all the tie rods and control arms after less than 60,000 miles. Original VW equipment is cheap junk. Everything breaks or wears out too soon. And VW will fight warranty coverage.

Love My Passat
By Sonkota

2005 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have owned four VW Jetta's since 1997 and in 2005 I decided I needed something with a little more room and AWD. I looked at the VW Passat and fell in love. The '05 Passat 4Motion handles and feels a lot like an Audi A4 with a much lower sticker price.

Dash lights at night, moonroof, heated seats and mirrors, 1.8T engine, and 4Motion.

Needs a 6 Disc in Dash CD Changer instead of cassette player, needs at least two accessory plugs in the front instead of one and more storage in the arm rest area.