2005 Volkswagen Passat Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
Shopped Around a lot to Find Value
By Rebecca Ann on 01/30/05 17:37 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I shopped around quite a bit before deciding on a VW Passat. I compared this car to Sweden's Volvo S60 and the Lincoln LS, both of which are V6 or straight 5-cylinder engines. I was sceptical about the 4-cylinder 1.8T engine in the Passat, however this German built vehicle really shines when you consider the packages and the performance. It is a solid car with great space in the backseat. The standard side curtain airbags and safety went toe toe to toe with Volvo. The S60 had a lot of play in the wheel (boat feeling) and the Lincoln didn't impress me when the dealer couldn't shut the hood when showing me the car. It makes you wonder what else in the car is not quite lined up. The Passat won.

Fun, fast but thirsty
By john on 01/19/05 08:37 AM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Great car, love the 4 wheel motion in the snow. Great pick up, but plan on only getting about 300 miles to the tank. You also need to use the 93 octane gas in the turbo version. Overall nice car.

fun to drive, "Monday car"
By Sofia P on 01/09/05 16:54 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I drive 30,000+ miles a year. My new Passat is a repacement from VW for my last years model that was a lemon. My first Passat had engine problenms, molding problems, you name it and it had a problem. It had spent 79 days in the shop during the first year that I had it. VW was great and they gave me a new one. My new Passat drives great and is comfortable. In three months, and 11,000 miles it has only been in the shop for ten days, not including maintance. Next time I will not purchase a VW.

Faeez's Volkswagen
By FAMOE on 01/01/05 23:01 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GL 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Man, I was going to buy the GTI from Volkswagen. But when I saw the 04 Volkswagn Passat in candy white and a 1.8 liter turbo engine I fell in love with the beatuy. GREAT SEDAN/SPORTSCAR Volkswagen..

Passat Wagon
By TOMD on 12/15/04 09:19 AM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I feel that dollar fo dollar and pound for pound, it is the best value in its class. The standard features far surpass the competition. It has a full sized spare, a rarity these days. The warranty is hard to beat also with free roadside assistance.

Sweet Ride
By Mr. Driver on 12/06/04 03:12 AM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I love this car. I just picked up my third Passat in six years. The turbo engine works best with a manual transmission. The ride is smooth and dignified. This is a car that likes to be driven in the same way you should drink a good wine. The '05 model has more body roll than in past years. The tradeoff is a more forgiving ride over bumpy roads, potholes, etc. As for long term problems like "oil sludge", I can only say that VWs are popular with people who like to modify their engines. They turn a 170 horsepower engine into a 240 horsepower engine, don't bother to change their oil at the suggested intervals, and then cry with outrage when their engine goes bye bye...

Great car
By jchagtdi on 10/15/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The car is beautiful inside and out. It's extremely comfortable and feels more expensive than it is. The leatherette upholstery will fool anyone into thinking that it is real leather. This car is made for long highway trips. The ride is very plush and quiet, and the seats fit my 6'1" frame very well. My last car was a 4 cyl Accord, and the fuel economy is not as good as I expected. I got 29-30 MPG on an all highway trip versus 36-38 MPG in the Accord. The trip computer also lies about the fuel economy. It shows 1-1 1/2 MPG higher than the true MPG. Too much engine noise enters the passenger compartment & the engine is more coarse in feel and sound than an Accord or Camry 4 cyl.

FUNCAR TO DRIVE!
By madmbutterfli on 10/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GL 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I DROVE A suv FOR 12 YEARS AND WASN'T SURE IF I WANTED A CAR, TO LOW TO THE GROUND. THE 5 SPEED PASSAT WAS THE FIRST CAR I DROVE AND NOTHING ELSE IN THIS BRACKET COULD COMPARE. AUTOMATICS WERE TO BORING. THIS CAR DRIVES LIKE A SPORTS CAR WITHOUT PAYING THE INSURANCE ON ONE! COMFORT,RELIABILITY, SAFTY AND FUN TO DRIVE, WHAT MORE COULD A PERSON NEED.