2005 Volkswagen Passat Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
Diesel is the way to go
By dapack on 03/08/05 19:21 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

A sports sedan that gets on average 35 mpg, who could want more! The only negative is diesel fuel is very expensive in the winter months. Friends marvel at the room and trunk size when the car seems almost compact on the outside. Lots of features, very good value. Hopeful I will not have to visit the dealer much, VW can have reliability issues.

My 2005 TDI Passat
By paul on 03/05/05 13:07 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GL TDI Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I finally succumbed, kicking and screaming, to buying a car that gets good mileage. Yes the SUV is killing my monthly budget. The Passat was an obvious choice, having owned diesel cars many years ago; I wasn't expecting that this car would be so great. The pickup is amazing it is very comfortable has plenty of room, the trunk is especially large and with the rear seats folded down cavernous. The body style still looks great despite the new design coming out this fall. I think this would be a good choice for anyone interested in a car that would be used mostly for highway commuting. I would not recommend this car for local driving; this engine is not well suited for this type of operation.

Excellent car
By Aurelian on 02/16/05 19:43 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

The 2005 Volkswagen Passat GLS TDI is an excellent family car. It gets very good gas mileage with its diesel engine. It has all of the possible airbags (side, front, and side curtain), an elegant exterior design, and top quality interior materials.

Perfect!!
By Jim on 02/16/05 10:32 AM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I traded in a BMW 325xi for a Passat TDI Wagon GLS. I couldn't be happier. The fit and finish is exquisite. The TDI engine is a joy to drive. This caqr has loads of low end torque. its handling is excellent. It has a beautiful classic design, quiet interior, and no rattles.

a very fine automobile
By Tenney on 02/13/05 14:09 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

My 2005 Volkswagen Passat GLS TDI is a high quality vehicle with the bonus of having very good mileage for a vehicle of its size. It has excellent handling. I would prefer a standard transmission, but the automatic is very flexible. The only thing I would change are the sunvisors, they do not provide enough side coverage. I have averaged 34 mpg in the first 9,000 miles in suburban driving and up to a whopping 41 mpg on long trips.

Just Brought It Home Tonight
By Daniel North on 01/31/05 20:43 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I traded a 2001 Dodge Durango (gas hog) for a 2005 Volkswagen Passat GLS TDI. I had the Durango for four years. I negotiated the drive-out price on the Passat to mid $24K on last day of month. The torque and cabin layout are excellent! The dealership had only 2 other TDI GLS's on the lot; I got the Gray with ESP.

My new VW...
By d00d on 01/27/05 16:26 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GL TDI Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

This great looking car is pretty fast considering it's relatively small engine (2.0L 134hp.) The 247 ft/lbs of lowend torque is what makes it a really fun drive - I find myself saying "farfegnugen" a lot! I love watching the mpg average with the TDI engine. I had problems with the dealer just handing me a box with the books, wrong keys and no new car walk through. The car spent it's 1'st week in the shop because a speaker wire was bad, causing a high pitched whine. They had to route a replacement wire from the amp to the door speaker. I REALLY WISH 4MOTION would have been available with this model!!!!!!! I'm also concerned about taking it back to California & passing the smog check.

Great Wagon
By Aurelian on 01/27/05 09:34 AM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

This is a great family car. The interior is absolutely gorgeous, and I love the elegant exterior. To me it looks like a car that should be twice as expensive as it actually is. The mileage is very good, close to 40mpg on the highway. The diesel engine performs very well. It is a little more noisy at idle than a gasoline engine, but once you start driving it, you won't notice any more noise than a gasoline engine. The standard features (no extra cost) on this car are numerous. The only options are leather seats, Climatronic (electronic climate controls), and bigger wheels. It is a very well appointed car. Highly recommended.

2005 Passat TDI GLS
By Warrior23 on 12/25/04 00:35 AM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I had a Passat gas burner for 4 years in Germany and was really impressed with all aspects of the car. That experience led me to want a Passat here. I chose the TDI because of the fuel economy and expected long life of a diesel. I've only had the car for a month but have really enjoyed the solid, quality feel when driving; reminds me of my former Passat. The only complaint is a very slight buzz heard sometimes, somewhere around the driver's side window post where the seatbelt enters. My first two tanks of fuel averaged 33mpg overall with about 60% highway/40% around town.

Go New Clean Diesel
By Steve Zinnel on 11/13/04 10:00 AM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GL TDI Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

This is my first diesel engine automobile. Recently took a 5,000 mile trip out West. Average gas mileage for the entire trip was 40 mpg. Never once had to take it out of cruise when going up the mountains. The diesel engine is very quiet when crusing at 75 mph on the freeway and doesn't seem to change a bit when going up mountains. I have been very impressed with the comfortable ride and amazed at the gas mileage. I drive about 30,000 miles a years, with a high percentage of those miles on the freeway, and that's why I decided to try the VW Passat for comfort and safety, and the diesel engine for economy. So far it has exceeded my expectations.