Used 2005 Volkswagen Passat Diesel Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Volkswagen Passat Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

My first diesel car
By EDWARD, A

2005 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

The Passat TDI is a fine vehicle, with great fuel economy, I have been getting a constant 35 MPG city / highway mix. I have not taken a trip to check the highway milage yet. The fit and finnish inside and out is first class. The rear seat fold down is a bit clumsy though.

Great range with the remote. Tiptronic tranny is clever and fun. Air conditioned glove box works for me!

Give it a smother suspension, it is a bit rough on choppy roads.

Luxury Ride, Econobox Mileage
By Tomato Pie

2005 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

Driving 96 miles each day, I needed to replace my wonderful 1991 Acura Legend that had accumulated 215,000 miles. I wanted to retain the great comfort, safety, and performance of the Acura while improving on the 25 mpg I was getting. Research took me to the TDI Passat, and I got one of the last leftovers for 2005 (cannot get the diesel in the 2006 Passat). I have logged 5,000 miles and I am THRILLED with this car. It is powerful, comfortable, and I am averaging 43 mpg on the highway when I can keep my speed under 65.

The fuel economy is better than advertised (dash gauge tells you how you are doing & trains you to drive more efficiently), handling is wonderful, road noise is minimal, comfort is good, rear seat room is good, trunk room is very good, and Monsoon sound system is superb. Tilting moonroof to vent on hot days.

Place sound system controls on the steering wheel. Allow adjustment for angle of seat bottom. Fix the passenger seat so it doesn't rattle when unoccupied. Add more storage nooks and cup holders in passenger area. Glovebox is small and cheesy.

Get one if you still can!
By ttocsffej

2005 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

Torque is the name of the game and it gets very addictive! Our 2005 Volkswagen Passat GLS TDI is our first diesel vehicle, and certainly not the last. We've owned three other Passats, including the 1.8T (manual and tip) and W8 versions, I can say the TDI / tiptronic combination is by far the best and happiest marriage of fuel economy and power in this vehicle. But the EPA rating of 27/38 is a little misleading. We've never gotten less than 30 mpg average in town, however, we've yet to get more than 37 mpg in 100% highway driving. 32-34 mpg mixed is average, partly because this baby hums along so quietly at 80 mph / 2,350 rpm! 65 mph yields best mpgs. I have had zero issues / problems at 10K miles! TDI is gone after 2005; get one now if you can find it!

17" wheels, wood and leather look great! These last 2005 cars had great build quality and lots of formerly optional features for less money! This version of the car was a "discount" Audi A4.

In hot climates you'll definitely need to tint the windows for maximum A/C effectiveness (especially in the wagon!) Other issues have probably been addressed by the new (B6) model, but it is still a "gussied up" Jetta, NOT an Audi.

This is the car that saved my fanily...
By Amine

2005 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

Beside the looks and the performance, this car is one of the safest vehicles in the roads. I love the way it drive, the way it looks inside and out. But what I love the most is the safety that provides to me and my family. I originally bought 1.8T GLS on January 2005, but an eighteen wheeler crashed it against the concrete divider in the highway. Being hit by a truck Driven at 60 miles an hour, the damage was extensive, and the vehicle was totaled. However, my family and I walked out with virtually no injuries (my wife got a bruise when her legs hit the dashboard). I was impressed how well it was built, so I went and bought the TDI the next day. You'll never regret buying a Passat. I love it.

The interior...The sound system...

I will say a navigation system...but it is available in the 2006 models.

Best Car on the Market in The 20K Range
By Scotty D

2005 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GL TDI Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

This car is my first diesel and the best value you'll ever get in the $20,00 range, especially now with gas prices over $3.00 per gallon. I have had the car for four months. I recently took a road trip of about 280 miles, mostly highway and got an unbelieveable 43.2 MPG! Why does the sticker on the new car say 27 - 38 MPG? I average 34 mpg around town. This car is not lacking in power and built with quality standards. It drives and handles every bit like my 1999 E320 Mercedes-Benz. Now I fight my wife just to drive the car every once in a while. You get an extremely safe car with 6 airbags, anti-lock brakes, traction control. Also, the stock stereo systems is like the high end models on other cars. The trunk space is huge!

Gas mileage, safety features, stereo, comfort, quality, handling and the 4 year-50,000 mile warranty.

None that are worth mentioning.