2005 Volkswagen Passat Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
Well Mannered but boring
By Winter1 on 03/30/05 13:19 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

This is a well mannered wonderfully smooth vehicle with a gorgeous interior, especially all lit for night driving. Underpowered in summer driving with the A/C on. Smoothest car that I owned, but needs more HP and handling. Winter all wheel drive performance was excellent once I ditched the stock tires.

Passat Defines German Engineering
By Matthew Feher on 03/29/05 11:18 AM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

No other German mid-size sedan at under $30,000 can compare to the quality, comfort, performance and style of the 2005 VW Passat. The Passat drives and looks as great as its other German rivals without unloading your wallet. I can't wait to drive the redesigned 2006 model.

Lots of fun with room
By annapoal on 03/23/05 20:25 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The 1.8t with a 5 speed produces great mileage with very good performance. Ride and handling are great. Lots of room. For what it is worth, that german feel. Very nice sound system. Lots of little things like door sill plates, chrome lip on trunk edge, super trip computer, and little sun visor behind mirror. Excellent value with all the air bags, stability control, antilock brakes, and premium sound. Threw in the winter package and there is not much to want.

Love it!
By Tanya on 03/22/05 16:06 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

Love this car, sturdy, dependable, yet fun on the highway due to its turbo engine. I feel very safe in it.

Big fun, small dollars
By traubenberg on 03/17/05 15:59 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GL 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I just recently purchased my 05 Passat GL and I love it. It's got big-car space with small-car moves. In the first week, I averaged almost 24 mpg - and that included quite a bit of turbo- induced fun. During a recent 50-mile morning commute, I got 27 mpg (3/4 highway, 1/4 city). That's equivalent to the '02 Accord I had, but this car is bigger, faster and less expensive than the Honda was. I'm 6'3" and being able to comfortably fit behind the wheel and have three full-grown adults with me is a huge bonus. My complaints are minor: hate the hubcaps, the stereo is anemic, miss my sunroof. For the money, I think this is one of the best cars out there. The fit and finish is amazing! Go VW!

Great Car For the Money
By Michael B. on 03/11/05 22:16 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Looked at a lot of other cars in its class and the Passat felt the most substantial, heavy and comes witha lot of standard features. The only other cars that were competition were the A4 and the Acura TSX. The Passat was less and drives just as well as the A4 and tighter then the Acura.

Completely Unreliable/Expensive Repairs
By SW on 03/11/05 17:11 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GL 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

The Passat looks great, rides great, and is extremely comfortable - WHEN IT'S NOT AT THE DEALERSHIP BEING REPAIRED! I have owned a passat for 6 months now, and I know the Service Manager at the local Volkswagen Dealership by name. In the past six months, my 2 year old car has had three separate repairs, all of which were under waranty, but would have been very costly otherwise. Now I'm told I have to have my CV Axles replaced due to "normal wear and tear" (meaning not covered under the warranty). Total cost? OVER $1,500!! Once again, this car is two years old - which means that every two years I'll have to pay $1,500 for CV Axles, $75 each for headlights, plus all of the other repairs!

Bad Decision
By K Wirth on 02/25/05 07:44 AM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought my VW Passat in August and it has been in the shop more than on the road. I have taken the car to all the VW dealerships in my area for repairs hoping that the service center was to blame for the poor quality. The low quality and poor reliability of the Passat have been more than disappointing. Especially when you consider the higher price of the Passat compared to the other vehicles in its class. VWoA has been difficult to work with.

Lovin this car!!
By sportyj on 02/12/05 23:41 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

I test drove everything in the Volkswagen Passat's class, including the BMW 3-Series, Audi A4, Volvo S40, Lexus IS300, Saabs, Nissans, the list goes on. A friend recommended the Passat, I drove it once, and fell in love. The car is solid, feels safe as can be, has every feature I could ever dream of having, and is a BLAST to drive. I use the sportshift all the time and this car flies off the line when using it. It is not so great with the auto engaged, but it leaves nothing to be desired. I got a smokin' deal on it. I have put on a ton of miles already because I just WANT to drive. This car has impressed me SO MUCH!

Great car for the dollar.
By Jason Elvidge on 02/09/05 23:28 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

I really like this car. It handles like a champ. After purchase I noticed a vibration during shifting. I took it back to the dealership and they uploaded a new flash memory for the computer. It has worked flawlessly since. Not real big on style, but if you are looking for German engineering that feels like a more expensive european model, yet unpretentious enough to not upset your boss and co- workers with envy and jealousy. If that is what you are looking for, you couldn't find a better car for the parking lot or your wallet.