Used 2005 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Volkswagen Passat Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

Overrated Junk Box
By Chicken Lips

2005 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GL 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

What a mistake. I believed all the hype and paid $21,000 for a small cramped poor performance car that needs premium fuel. My 2005 Volkswagen Passat has no pick up at all. I'm not a big guy, but the car is so cramped it feels like I'm wearing a straight jacket. German engineering, yeah right. Everything rattles and my brakes went at 3,500 miles. It burns oil too. Save your money and by a Hyundai Elantra!

None!

Start from scratch.

Terrible Gas Mileage - Passat V6 GLX
By JCrumley

2005 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased a new 2005 Passat GLX (V6 Auto) in Sept '05. The comfort of this car is awesome. I really like the car but the gas mileage stinks! I get anywhere from 13-15 mpg in the city and 17-19 mpg on the highway. The dealership states the car is OK....all checks out OK...sure, its not them buying premium gasoline and its a far cry from the "EPA avg. of 19 and 26" which is used in their sales speech! With this gas consumption, I should have bought a Tourag...then I could not complain. Most likely I will be getting rid of the car in the near future simply because of the gas mileage.

The heated seats, leather, and comfort of the seats.

Advertise the true gas mileage and don't lie to the public!

I Love My Passat
By Tweetgurl

2005 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I went from a Mitsubishi Lancer to a 2005 Volkswagen Passat. Every time I looked at a Passat on the road, I was envious. Finally, I bought a 2005 Passat that had been a dealer demo so it had less than 5,000 miles on it even though I bought it December 2005. I love my car! It takes some time getting used to, but I enjoy the experience. The ride is fairly smooth and I feel important driving this car. I checked out the 2006 Passat and was appalled at the price. I was able to buy my '05 Passat for thousands of dollars less than the current rate for a new '06 Passat. I don't like the new body style of the '06 Passat, though I do like the chrome in the front. Overall, I'm satisfied with my purchase.

I love the heated seats, sunroof, tape deck (I have tons of them still) and CD player combo, smooth leather steering wheel, automatic locks at 10 mph or more, cup holders, purple/red lighting, built in anti-theft system, volume and track controls on steering wheel, and more! The leatherette trim looks neat,

The backseat's middle headrest is a HUGE blind spot for me. The headlight switch should be a part of the signal switch Also, the signal switch is bulky. Some turbo lag is noticeable. I have been getting poor gas mileage.

2005 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T 4Motion Wagon
By dnichols

2005 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

The only negative about my 2005 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T 4Motion is that the engine is a little underpowered. However, that translates into better gas mileage than I had expected. All in all, this is a wonderful car and a great choice for the snowy roads in Vermont where I keep it.

Great traction and steering.

Give it a little more power.

The Wow Factor
By David Morelli

I was not sure about buying a car known for its hippie genre. Then my wife convinced me to try it out and give it a drive since she had a VW in Argentina that she said was great. I was so impressed by the way the car handled. It seemed that the faster I went the better the drive got. I am a firm believer now and have been now for 6 years and 4 different VW's.

The confortable seats, tons of leg room, and great stock stereo system.

Give it more toys, bit it looks like VW has already done that in the 2006 model.