Used 2005 Volkswagen Passat Diesel Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Volkswagen Passat Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

Best VW I've Owned!
By TDIMichMan

2005 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I've had my '05 Passat TDI for about four months now, and I love it. I was a bit concerned that it wouldn't be as peppy as my '03 Jetta Turbo, but it has quite a bit of zip. Its passing power could be a little better though. You just have to plan ahead a little more for passing maneuvers. The back seat is huge for a car this size. The gas mileage is awesome, although it will drop in the cold weather. Also, it's a dog on cold mornings, until it gets warmed up. Overall, I can't complain. For the money, it's a very nice ride. Now I just need to get used to the funny looks I get from the truckers at the diesel pumps, and the station attendants asking me, "Um, you know that pump is diesel?"

I like the interior design / comfort, heated seats, trunk space, and great gas mileage.

Give it a better stereo and offer remote start.

My Passat TDI
By Lisa

2005 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I have had my 2005 Passat TDI for a little over a year now. I absolutely love it! Not only does it provide a comfortable ride and good looks, it gets awesome fuel mileage. I do a lot of driving and I fill the tank on average about every two weeks. Also, it is very roomy and has lots of trunk space.The shiftable automatic transmission is nice too. It is a great car to have.

The thing I like most about my car is probably the fuel mileage with the diesel.The diesel engine is very quiet and not nearly as smelly as some of the older models.It is very fun to drive. Also, I like the Volkswagen dealership.They are the nicest, most helpful people you would ever want to meet.

The center console could be better. It is small and doesn't have a lot of room for storage. Also, mine started to peel in the back and I had to have it replaced. And, the glovebox is barely deep enough for the manual to fit into.

Love It, Love It, Love It
By mypassattdi

2005 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I have had my Passat for a full year now and I love it even more today than I did the day I drove it home. The car is so fun to drive, so comfortable and who can complain about 36 MPG back and forth to work and 43 MPG on the highway? I absolutely love this car and it is not bad to look at either. Pretty much the only things I would change is that I would add more cupholders throughout the vehicle and the ability to completely turn off the headlights without shutting down the engine (I have to go through a guard gate to get to work and the guards yell at me all the time because I have my lights on in their faces).

The seat heaters, fuel mileage, Monsoon stereo, heated mirrors, and looks of the car.

Add more cupholders throughout vehicle and stereo controls on the steering wheel.

Turbocharger Intermittent
By Longfellow

2005 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

To start off with, I like the styling of the 2005 Volkswagen Passat GLS TDI. I also enjoy the TDI's fuel economy. However, the Turbocharger stops working intermittently. I have had the car back to two different dealerships on five separate occasions to repair of the turbocharger. The cruise control disengages intermittently, as do the daytime running lights. I too, have experienced the inability to remove the ignition key from its slot on the steering column several times. I still do not know why that has happened. The front seats bottoms are a bit short in length and there is not much padding under the leather. You can feel the closed cell polyurethane foam that lines the seat bottom upon ingress and egress.

The overall body styling, Tiptronic transmission, and excellent brakes.

Allow the TDI 4-Matic to be imported in the US. Import the 2006 Passat TDI Wagon to the US.

Excellent Car
By Chris

2005 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

This is a great vehicle. I looked at it for a year, didn't like the looks of the 2006 so purchased the 2005. I am stationed in Germany so I get to drive this US spec car on the autobahn, which is lots of fun. With 4 adults in it, I cruise at 140 KPH and get great fuel economy. You can't beat it. My car has had no defects, and has a solid build.

Seat warmer and heated mirrors.

Provide a way to adust the front edge of the seat.