2005 Volkswagen Passat Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
Whatta Wagon!!!
By gagrice on 05/02/05 12:02 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

Picked our new Passat up in Oregon and drove to Southern California. Went through rain, Snow and highwinds. The handling is superb. Averaged 37 MPG overall. Drove mostly back highways to enjoy the handling. It was all I could do to get my wife to let me drive. Her car is a Lexus and she likes the handling of the Passat better.

tdi diesel
By jobyr8 on 05/01/05 13:43 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

presently suprised about the pickup and speed of the diesel...getting greater than 30mpg. excellent car with a huge trunk and fun to drive...

Love it!
By Simon on 04/28/05 16:16 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

This is an outstanding machine. The European style diesel engine is fun to drive and economical. And, it is a good looking car to boot.

How sweet it is
By David on 04/25/05 22:02 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I purchased my Passat for fuel economy and comfort of ride. I'm not disappointed thus far. My drive one way to work is eighty miles, seventy miles of which is open road. The last ten is in Washington, DC traffic. I have logged 1400 miles on my Passat the past week which includ a trip to VA Beach this past weekend. I average 42.9 MPG. The car is very comfortable on the open road and feel very solid. I'm very impressed by the power of this 4 cyl which is very quiet at 65 miles per hour. I must tell you that I did have one situation with the car and that is the Electronic Module Display which displays fuel usage, and outside temp went out the day I took delivery of my passat 18 APR 05.

No sacrifices
By beachdriver on 04/19/05 11:08 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GL TDI Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

No sacrificing quality, comfort or safety in the pursuit of lowering fuel costs. Even the base GL is fairly nicely appointed including above average sound system. Handling is fun, acceleration is astonishing given the 40 mpg highway and 35 mpg combined. This car's body is solid. Judging from forums, I have high expectations for longevity of the engine.

To Heck With the Hybrids!
By Dolphin on 04/17/05 17:03 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

This car will grow on you and you will be very happy you no longer own a gas-guzzling SUV; it is an excellent car with great cargo capacity, perfect for my family of 4, absolutely awesome highway car. I got the GSL with Leather + wood, ESP and winter package, and added the rear 6 CD-changer. Solid handling, and this thing is built as solid as a tank.

Two New Passats
By Howard Phykitt on 04/11/05 19:57 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

The Passat TDI has plenty of pep for passing. Averaging 42 mpg to work and back (160 miles). Build quality and stability is as goog as a Mercedes. We liked it so much that we bought a second one. Radio on both cars in AM mode is raspy (seems like it is not on the exact frequency). My secretary's car which is a 2003 Passat has the same raspiness as our cars.

2005 Passat TDI Wagon
By James Witt on 03/28/05 17:48 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

2005 Passat TDI Wagon special order exact color, trim, leather, OnStar sets this wagon ahead from everybody. Tiptronic one finger up / down shift, corners flat, smooth ride 29 mpg city.

Best Car I Ever Owned
By Manuel R. Tamayo on 03/23/05 12:42 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

Previously, a car was simply a means of transportation. Now it is fun to drive, comfortable to be in, and a real pleasure to own. At first I questioned about the difference in fuel cost between the diesel and gas engine. However, I am able to average 33 miles per gallon in tight city traffic and about 42 on the open highway. The diesel engine is quiet and smooth. The car rides extremely tight with a comfortable road feel even in high wind. It corners like a cannon ball in a laundry chute. It simply has a solid sensation about it both inside and out. When asked how I like it, I say "Best car I ever owned and I have owned a bunch." That about says it all. Except, I bet I sold some.

Happy driver
By charliec on 03/15/05 22:10 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

This is the second TDI that i've owned and both have been excellent road cars. I enjoy the engine torque that gives outstanding highway performance. Yes, diesels can have performance and the enconomy is a added benifit.