Used 2005 Volkswagen Passat Diesel Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

2005 Volkswagen Passat Diesel

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

Great Car
By Aschely Cone

2005 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GL TDI Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

This car is not a luxury sedan and its not really supposed to be, but it drives very very well - smoothly with substance and weight to it, the interior is well-done, and daily I appreciate another thoughtful design feature. The seats are quite comfortable and the dash lights are lovely red and blue, another very satisfying aspect of the car. For instance, the trunk is unbelievably well designed and quite packable; I am continually amazed at everything I can fit in it. So far, I have had no trouble with anything. I also like the purr of the diesel, discernable at low speeds and idling, but not intrusive and oh the mileage! It exceeds my expectations.

Favorite Features

The red and blue dash lights, trip computer, sturdy feeling of the car, trunk space / seats that fold down, diesel engine with great gas mileage, great heater, having to change the oil only every 5,000 miles, and the dark interior.

Suggested Improvements

The manual seats are kind of hard to adjust and it needs better floor mats.

This Car Could Be With Us For 15 Years!
By Dolphin

2005 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I needed a new car, and it came down to the Passat TDI and a Camry SE. I am happy with my choice. The United Gray with gray leather interior looks great. We had some trouble with the original radio, but that was replaced. I am considering adding the rear fog light. This car will end up with my daughter when she goes to college, she is 10 now, and it is an incredibly solid car. It has room for 5 in comfort, and gets 33+ MPG’s cruising at 80-85 MPH, with enough torque to pass anything in your way! it is a little heavy on the wind noise at these speeds, but I can still hear the sound on my kids’ video games!

Favorite Features

The Monsoon stereo, steering wheel controls, dual trip computer readings, Tiptronic transmission, and that little flip-down sun blocker above and behind the rear-view mirror.

Suggested Improvements

Give us the GLX version with all the goodies:auto climate control, power seats, auto dimming rear-view mirror, higher level quality carpets, and modify the PhatNoise so you do not have to cut your interior to allow the storage unit to stick into your trunck/wagon area where it can get smacked into!

VW Passat TDI Wagon, Great Car!
By Jeff Spahn

2005 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

My 2005 Volkswagen Passat GLS TDI Wagon has been very reliable. I have never had a cold start issue, no matter the temps. This is the last year you can run BioDiesel in the Passat (new 06 Brochure says no to Bio). My car has no smoke and gobs of passing power without a downshift. We live 70 miles from the dealership. I was apprehensive about this at first, but we never need to see them. Being able to go 10,000 miles between oil changes is nice. This car has a super quiet engine. Only the new Mercedes-Benz E-Class Diesel is quieter in my experience.

Favorite Features

Power, Power, Power. Super fuel mileage. Did I mention power? Torque of the W8 with mileage of an economy car. 53 mpg at 55mph, 46 mpg at 65 (flat roads, cruise control).

Suggested Improvements

4Motion. Europe has it on theirs, we should have it here! The V6 TDI engine for the super performance option. More high end options that only the W8 has (had).

Almost 600 Miles on one Tank!
By lou

2005 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

The Volkwagon Passat Wagon TDI is just the best car I have ever owned. I get almost 600 miles on one tank of gas driving at 85 mph!

Favorite Features

Lots of speed and little gas wasted.

Suggested Improvements

The 6 CD changer needs to be in the front of the vehicle.

Best VW I've Owned!
By TDIMichMan

2005 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I've had my '05 Passat TDI for about four months now, and I love it. I was a bit concerned that it wouldn't be as peppy as my '03 Jetta Turbo, but it has quite a bit of zip. Its passing power could be a little better though. You just have to plan ahead a little more for passing maneuvers. The back seat is huge for a car this size. The gas mileage is awesome, although it will drop in the cold weather. Also, it's a dog on cold mornings, until it gets warmed up. Overall, I can't complain. For the money, it's a very nice ride. Now I just need to get used to the funny looks I get from the truckers at the diesel pumps, and the station attendants asking me, "Um, you know that pump is diesel?"

Favorite Features

I like the interior design / comfort, heated seats, trunk space, and great gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Give it a better stereo and offer remote start.