2005 Volkswagen Passat Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
Passat 05 review
By Chad on 06/06/05 08:50 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

Although I have had my passat for a short time, I cannot help but express my most positive experiences with the vehicle. The safety features, the room in the rear seating area, the comfort of the driver's seat, driving this car is alot of fun. Having the option to use the 5 speed shift like a manual or leave it in automatic mode, they both can provide some great acceleration.

Rock Solid and Refined
By Zenimage on 06/02/05 23:48 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I just bought a Passat TDI Wagon and it is a wonderful car. Excellent handling, gutsy acceleration, and is exactly what I need for my 60 mile round trip job commute here in Michigan. It seems to to matter little how many people or how much stuff I have in the car, it just presses on regardless. The only option I have on mine are the 17 Inch wheels. If I had to sum it up: Refined, Rock Solid and Gutsy.

Fun to drive
By Grandpa on 05/31/05 12:46 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

This is my 5th VW but the first diesel and I must say it is one of the best , the ride is good the car is very well made and the mpg is around 33 in town. never been on a long road trip yet so cant say what the mpg would be. If I could change on thing on the car it would be to extend the length of the front seat a few inches where the front edge of the seat would hit loweron my legs.

Love My TDI
By Frank Nora on 05/31/05 06:53 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GL TDI Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

Handling is typically European tight. Acceleration is more than adequate for everyday situations. The GL environmental system is basic, but it works well. The GL level trim is basic and affordable at $ 23,000.00. No sunroof. No electric seats. This really a basic driving machine. The feel is solid, with good quakity finish. I recently drove a rental Nissan Altima & prefer the VW GL TDI hands down!

Volswagen Passat
By Fred on 05/24/05 19:18 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

Fairly quick pickup, one of the faster vehicles available if top speed is your desire. Handles the road very well. Fuel ecomomy is good, at speeds of 130 km per hour approximately 42 miles per gallon.

Bought now rather than later...
By radin2son on 05/24/05 15:44 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

Planned to down size from 2 cars (Hondas) to 1 (wagon) in the next 2 years, but couldn't resist April's incentives. (Seems every one is paying about the same, less than invoice.) Also liked the fact that 05 Passats come fully equipped with options limited to 17" wheels and leather package. Chose 17" wheels. My independent mechanic, who always said buy Toyota or Honda, OK'd the Passat. He has seen no problems with newer Passats and described the TDI as one of the sweetest engines around. Hope reliability is as good as our 99 Accord. (Didn't expect same with 02 SI.) First full tank showed 28 mpg for mostly city driving. Trip meter makes you think it will be better. Expect mpg's to improve.

We Need More Diesels!
By Drew on 05/23/05 12:22 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I was on the fence over which car to buy, the Camry, Accord, or the Passat. Diesel engine is what sold me, and the wagon option. This car will eventually go to one of my kids when they go to college; I expect it to run that long! Great highway car, will “get-up-‘n-go” and not hurt you at the pump over driving it hard. Dealers are offering KILLER deals right now.

Underestimated Fun Ride
By Jake on 05/21/05 12:16 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

Have had the TDI Passat for 6000mi now and LOVE it. My experience gives it 28- 30 around town and 40-43 highway at 75- 80 mph. Went through the Smokies up to Canada cruise control doesn't slow down at all going up the mountain grades. All in all my wife and I feel the vehicle performed much better than expected, truly an under rated ride and performance. The little 2 lt diesel will push you into the back of the seat over 2000rpm. Will blow through 100mph easily while passing tractor trailers if not careful. We're in our 60's with back problems and have put in several 10-12hour days and love this vehicle. Quiet rumble sounds great all with no smelly diesel stink. Check it out!

Best handling wagon I have ever owned
By gagrice on 05/14/05 19:34 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

Now have 2300 miles on this fine automobile. I would not trade it for anything made by Toyota or Honda. The handling is superb. Already had to use the fine braking. The girl in the Toyota PU looked happy the Passat stopped so quickly when she pulled out in front of us. Very quiet well built vehicle. Highly recommend the VW TDIs.

From Honda back to VW
By radin2son on 05/10/05 17:19 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

Planned to downsize from 99 Accord Ex & 02 Civic Si to 1 car in future, but VW pricing & incentives too good to pass up. My foreign car mechanic, who always said buy Honda or Toyota, vouched for the newer TDI engine and Passats. He's not seeing problems in his shop. Wagon choices are few, and this one meets our needs. (This is not a "sport wagon.") Very happy with fit & finish, plus there are plenty of diesel stations nearby. Have to get used to startup; seems too slow, but more pressure on accelerator is too quick. Have to get used to this along with engine hum, not growl, and low rpms on tach. Letting 5 speed auto do its thing.