Used 2005 Volkswagen Passat Diesel Consumer Reviews - 73 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Volkswagen Passat Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

Great Car
By Tom

2005 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

This car is excellent. The quality, fit and attention to detail is great. The reliability is outstanding. Handling great. With 17" tires it sticks like glue to the corners. The car is leading edge producing 134 HP. It uses every bit of energy in the diesel fuel. Temper your MPG expectations, if based on these reviews. The EPA mileage rating is 27/38 and while some are stating solid numbers over 40, those come with caveats. For example, the quality of the diesel fuel. The west coast does not have the true high performance diesel like other areas. These high MPG are obtained on long highway runs. My personal best is 39 MPG. Average commute numbers are 32 MPG (30% city/70% highway).

The tiptronic transmission. It allows you to upshift and downshift at the push of the shift column for control. With the TDI you can downshift to slow the vehicle. This allows for engine breaking using the engine compression, there is no fuel used, which saves your brake pad without hurting MPG.

Turbo lag is noticable, causing a delay when taking off from a dead stop. You adjust to it, but for those used to an immediate acceleration it can be scary when trying to pull out in a hurried situation. Once the turbo kicks in you get pushed into your seat and the car moves wonderfully.

Great Car
By WowMpg

2005 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I traded in a 2007 Toyota Camry CE for a 2005 Passat TDI. I was scared at first it of being a diesel. When I first saw it (I found it on the net and gave a deposit over phone and drove to VA from NJ to get it) I liked it. The car felt safe and heavy, its safety features are good, it drives great, it handles great, and has a nice interior like heated mirrors. I feel safe when I'm it. The best thing is I only used nine gallons of fuel and got 400 miles with it. My friend and I could not believe it. It gets from 44 mpg up to 50 with power and the ability to climber hills with no loss of power. I am happy that I got this car and will keep it for years to come. It can go 10,000 miles between oil changes. It is particular about the oil that it needs, but it's worth it.

The good gas mileage, safety, seats, power, diesel engine, ride, handling, etc...

It needs power seats, auto lights, cheaper oil, and more storage compartments. VW made a better Passat for '07 but it was not offered with a TDI. I would have kept my Camry if it was not for the diesel, but the Passat is a better made car then the Camry. I traded it in for an '07 and like the Passat hands down.

Pass 'Em
By Ted

2005 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GL TDI Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I love to step on the gas (fuel) pedal and feel the smooth, rapid acceleration. This car will run. Its handling is superb. It is a very safe car. It gets about 30-32 mpg at 8 0mph with the a/c on. It has a huge trunk. It hauls five adults with ease and has no difficulty handling or accelerating with a load. It does have a slight vibration at idle from the motor, but no one complains. Most are surprised when they find out it's a diesel. This is my second VW diesel. The first was a Golf TDI which got totaled. We were sandwiched in a wreck, drove the car home five miles, and were surprised when the insurance company totaled. it. My wife wanted a trunk, so we got the Passat. It is a good car.

The diesel engine power and economy. The Tripmatic automatic transmission.

It needs better motor mounts to dampen vibration. Changing your own oil is a real hassle with taking off the air shields.

Passat
By Napp

2005 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

The Passat diesel has two great qualities and one big poor one. The gas mileage is fantastic, 38 mpg town and 45 mpg or better highway. The performance is fantastic, it feels like a higher end car, more than what you pay for it. The seats are comfortable. However, the interior stinks! The finish on the handles, and all over, flaked in the first month of use. The interior is not just plastic but cheap plastic and things fall apart without much use. Without power seats the hand cranck brings down the appeal of this high perfomance car. The interior easily marks up and cannot be wiped down. The service has been very good, but there's not much they can do to fix the flaking.

The performance and gas mileage of the diesel is fantastic. My dealership service has been very good. This car handles better than some Mercedes I've driven. The wheel, gas, brake response is so smooth. My daughter loved learning to drive on this car. It is fun to drive.

Upgrade the interior. It flakes all over. Electric seats should be standard. The hand cranks cheapens the experience. The interior conflicts with the great perfomance and brings down the overall experinece. Also, here's an idea: all cars need to add a hook up front for a womans purse to hang from and not fall over.

2005 TDI Passat Wagon
By Steve

2005 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I love this car except for an experience last winter. I live in a cold enviroment. I was told the car would always start before I bought it. At minus 10, sitting outside, the car would not start. I had to have it towed to the nearest dealership. Once it warmed up it started without a problem. Everything checked out to be working correctly. I would not take the car back without an external heating device installed. The dealer put on a oil pan heater. VW Corp was contacted and asked to cover the installation. They declined to do so! I was told they would rather pay for a tow each time. What an inconvience for me. I was displeased with the customer service deptartment.

The Triptonic shifting, stereo system, and good fuel economy.

Fix the turbo lag when accelerating from a stopped position. Fix the inability to accelerate and move the car when it is first started until the transmission fluid has warmed up. The rear hatch is a pain to operate the way it is designed.