2005 Volkswagen Passat Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
Luxury Ride, Econobox Mileage
By Tomato Pie on 10/10/05 10:13 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

Driving 96 miles each day, I needed to replace my wonderful 1991 Acura Legend that had accumulated 215,000 miles. I wanted to retain the great comfort, safety, and performance of the Acura while improving on the 25 mpg I was getting. Research took me to the TDI Passat, and I got one of the last leftovers for 2005 (cannot get the diesel in the 2006 Passat). I have logged 5,000 miles and I am THRILLED with this car. It is powerful, comfortable, and I am averaging 43 mpg on the highway when I can keep my speed under 65.

Get one if you still can!
By ttocsffej on 10/04/05 18:03 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

Torque is the name of the game and it gets very addictive! Our 2005 Volkswagen Passat GLS TDI is our first diesel vehicle, and certainly not the last. We've owned three other Passats, including the 1.8T (manual and tip) and W8 versions, I can say the TDI / tiptronic combination is by far the best and happiest marriage of fuel economy and power in this vehicle. But the EPA rating of 27/38 is a little misleading. We've never gotten less than 30 mpg average in town, however, we've yet to get more than 37 mpg in 100% highway driving. 32-34 mpg mixed is average, partly because this baby hums along so quietly at 80 mph / 2,350 rpm! 65 mph yields best mpgs. I have had zero issues / problems at 10K miles! TDI is gone after 2005; get one now if you can find it!

This is the car that saved my fanily...
By Amine on 09/16/05 13:39 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

Beside the looks and the performance, this car is one of the safest vehicles in the roads. I love the way it drive, the way it looks inside and out. But what I love the most is the safety that provides to me and my family. I originally bought 1.8T GLS on January 2005, but an eighteen wheeler crashed it against the concrete divider in the highway. Being hit by a truck Driven at 60 miles an hour, the damage was extensive, and the vehicle was totaled. However, my family and I walked out with virtually no injuries (my wife got a bruise when her legs hit the dashboard). I was impressed how well it was built, so I went and bought the TDI the next day. You'll never regret buying a Passat. I love it.

Best Car on the Market in The 20K Range
By Scotty D on 09/06/05 17:50 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GL TDI Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

This car is my first diesel and the best value you'll ever get in the $20,00 range, especially now with gas prices over $3.00 per gallon. I have had the car for four months. I recently took a road trip of about 280 miles, mostly highway and got an unbelieveable 43.2 MPG! Why does the sticker on the new car say 27 - 38 MPG? I average 34 mpg around town. This car is not lacking in power and built with quality standards. It drives and handles every bit like my 1999 E320 Mercedes-Benz. Now I fight my wife just to drive the car every once in a while. You get an extremely safe car with 6 airbags, anti-lock brakes, traction control. Also, the stock stereo systems is like the high end models on other cars. The trunk space is huge!

Fun and Powerful car
By dyma82 on 09/02/05 17:43 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I used to own a Mercedes 300D. I was amazed with what 40 years have done with diesel technology. Compared to my old Mercedes my new Passat does not vibrate at all, and the noise…what noise…I couldn’t believe it was a diesel. Amazing how this car takes off with this little power plan. My old Mercedes took for ever to pickup speed from standing still. However, my new Passat…oh man…it will easily skid it’s from wheels with three people inside if you push it to hard. In fact, the Passat TDI serves as a fresh reminder of this: After driving torque-rich diesels awhile, gas engines, even very powerful ones, seem anemic, as if there's a hole in their power curves. Diesels, thus, are addicting. Watch out!

My 1st VW But not my Last
By tomk on 07/10/05 01:36 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I was looking for a nice car with good MPG. The Passat fits that bill to a tee, I travel 70 a day to go work and this car has been great for that use. Lots of confort good MPG and it gets going down the road when you kick in the tubro. It appears to wear also but I have only owned it about 8 months.

good
By shehzad khan on 06/30/05 11:50 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GL TDI Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

the volkswagen passat i have is only 1998 tdi sports, but is very comfortable. I have had 8 cars and iam only 21, the passat has been my favourite of all, comfortable, good handling, good fuel economy, and obviously strong as usual

Bye Bye V-70
By Jeff OB on 06/28/05 11:04 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

Leaving my 1999 Volvo V-70 Wagon behind in the lot was very easy to do last week as I stepped into a new stonehenge grey VW TDI wagon. It would have been easy to do, had I felt the desire, despite the direct sunlight above the rear view mirror because the folks from VW decided to put an extra 'flip down' sun visor directly above it. This feature may be trite, yet it demonstrates the amount of thought put into this vehicle. I'm looking forward to having a positive experience with this car that is rated at 40 miles to the gallon! This is my first deisel, it sounds normal, it has more engine braking than a gas engine but when the turbo kicks in,it kicks in and you have everything you need.

Step up from my Outback
By D. Palmquist on 06/17/05 21:54 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

My 2001 Outback with 95,000 miles averaged 25 mpg, althought the Passat does not have all wheel drive both vehicles are esencially the same size. The Passat averages 36-37 mpg overall. The Passat just hums along, yet has plenty of accerlation with the turbo. Much better ventilation than the Outback. Seats and adjustments are way out from the Outback, especially legroom and right seat comfort. Currently at 6500 miles, will see what the next 100,000 or so tell us.

Best Wagon Made!
By Patrick on 06/12/05 18:54 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

Due to the current gasoline prices, I did not want to buy an SUV, but I needed cargo room, so a wagon seemed to be the smart choice. After extensive research, I settled on the Passat TDI. The TDI wagon is now hard to find, and I had to drive 250 miles to purchase one. This is by far the best automobile I have ever owned. The build quality, comfort, and ride are every bit as good as my in-laws BMW 525i. If you want an alternative to the gas-guzzling SUV's this is definitely a vehicle worth exploring. If you owned or knew someone who owned a VW diesel in the 1980's, you owe it to yourself to look at the new diesel technology. An absolutely fantastic vehicle!!!