2005 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
Excited about driving again
By Big man happy on 11/05/04 14:57 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this car last June 04, not too sure what to think about having a grocery getter. I had Honda Civic which was too small (64 frame, plus new baby), so I had nothing to lose. The room inside is much bigger than I thought; it can hold five adults comfortably with no lag on the turbo/engine. The back end is ideal for when my wife goes shopping, now she can buy more. I wish I ordered it with the bigger wheels and engine. Overall it's a car that I can trust in going up to Michigan(coming from VA) in the winter or load it up for the beach.

Problems WIth The Passat 1.8T
By p. augusta on 11/04/04 21:52 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GL 1.8T Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

The vehicle has been in and out of the shop 4 times for electrical problems, and now has to have the engine replaced because of a sludge issue. The engine runs very hot so oil sludge in the engine is a common problem for the 1.8T model (Audi or VW). Steer clear of this car! !

Can VW succeed with the Pheaton ?
By VW Out to Lunch on 10/25/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

The car is pleasant to drive. The big problem is that VW and their dealers do not seem to be on the same page when it comes to important things like what kind of oil to use for oil changes. The owners manual and VW say to ONLY use 5w40 oil which meets VW's 502.00 standard. That means a synthetic oil. Dealers appearently are tying to not give customers sticker shock on oil changes because they all use conventional motor oil on the order of 5w30 or 10w40. VW has recently issued an 8 year extended warranty for many VW's with the 1.8 turbo gas engine yet they don't seem to be able to convince their dealers to use the very oil that they, VW, says to owners is so very important. Go figure.