Used 2005 Volkswagen Passat Diesel Consumer Reviews - 73 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Volkswagen Passat Diesel - Consumer Reviews

2005 Volkswagen Passat Diesel

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

TDI Passat is fantastic
By Scott M

2005 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GL TDI Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I have owned many VWs. GTIs, Rabbits, Busses and Cabrios. I bought the TDI Passat as a knee jerk reaction to the fuel crisis of 08. Let me just say this is my favorite VW of all. We dumped a Ford Expedition to get this and I only lost maybe 25% usable space. I get 28-35 MPG in the city and 38 on long highway trips. The first thing I did when I bought it was have the software reflashed with an Upsolute package for $450. I now have 50 more ft/lbs of torque and 30 more HP. Undetectable by the dealer, doesn't affect reliability, huge difference on the road. Best $450 you will ever spend. If you want a solid family sized car that is fun to drive that looks good and gets good mileage...Passat TDI!

Solid road feel. Solid build quality. Nobody does interiors better than VW/Audi even on the low cost trim levels. Fuel economy is great. The upgraded power (300 lb/ft of torque!) is great fun. Good looking exterior. Do tint the windows.

Some interior plastic trim can discolor. Reliability is not VW's strong suit. This car has been great so far. Time will tell. I have a feeling they got it right with the 05 TDI. The motors supposedly last for a very long time.

like it
By bertly

2005 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

Overall good. Great price, mileage. Fun to drive and comfortable. Good road feel and handling. Has a strong and stable feel to it.

Gallons per mile. Ride and handling. Price.

none

Passat GLS TDI
By bill

2005 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

This vehicle is an excellent pick for fuel mileage. Over the life of the vehicle, the least mileage recorded has been 33 mpg, which was in the dead of winter driving 10 miles to work with studded winters all around. The best so far has been about 45 mpg on a trip. Typically the car gets 42 mpg going to and from work which is 10 miles. Otherwise, the car has been a dream. Excellent response with the power equivalent to a small V6 gas motor. I have had very little problems with the car, and it has only been in for oil changes. The only real problem which was taken care of immediately, was a slow retracting seat belt. My only regret with this vehicle, was that it was not the wagon.

Engine, seats, and driving visibility.

They have done everything (with the exception of availability of the TDI engine) in the revamped model. I will be keeping mine until that comes around again!

From Mercedes to VW
By Carol

2005 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I had a Mercedes M-Class previously and decided to purchase more earth-friendly auto this time. I have continued to be pleasantly surprised with the vehicle's comfort, reliability and gas mileage. The longer I am in possession of it, the more I appreciate it!

The gas mileage, the comfort and drivability.

More cup holders.

Don't Pass This Car Up
By Erik

2005 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

This car is amazing! I have had over 48 mpg on two tanks of diesel. It is solidly built, quick, and fun. This car is worth every penny and should not be passed up if it's available. I am not sure how it will do for winter driving, but I suspect it will be fine. For me this car is better then any hybrid and compromises nothing in quality for fuel economy. I hope more car makers look toward turbo diesel technology, it is truly awesome.

Fuel mileage - 48 mpg on the highway and 37 mpg in town, UNREAL! Also, the sun roof is nice too.

Make a different dashboard light scheme. Other then that, nothing, except to bring the Passat TDI back.