2005 Volkswagen Passat Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
Great Car
By Aschely Cone on 02/01/06 07:13 AM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GL TDI Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

This car is not a luxury sedan and its not really supposed to be, but it drives very very well - smoothly with substance and weight to it, the interior is well-done, and daily I appreciate another thoughtful design feature. The seats are quite comfortable and the dash lights are lovely red and blue, another very satisfying aspect of the car. For instance, the trunk is unbelievably well designed and quite packable; I am continually amazed at everything I can fit in it. So far, I have had no trouble with anything. I also like the purr of the diesel, discernable at low speeds and idling, but not intrusive and oh the mileage! It exceeds my expectations.

This Car Could Be With Us For 15 Years!
By Dolphin on 01/16/06 22:14 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I needed a new car, and it came down to the Passat TDI and a Camry SE. I am happy with my choice. The United Gray with gray leather interior looks great. We had some trouble with the original radio, but that was replaced. I am considering adding the rear fog light. This car will end up with my daughter when she goes to college, she is 10 now, and it is an incredibly solid car. It has room for 5 in comfort, and gets 33+ MPG’s cruising at 80-85 MPH, with enough torque to pass anything in your way! it is a little heavy on the wind noise at these speeds, but I can still hear the sound on my kids’ video games!

VW Passat TDI Wagon, Great Car!
By Jeff Spahn on 01/03/06 23:46 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

My 2005 Volkswagen Passat GLS TDI Wagon has been very reliable. I have never had a cold start issue, no matter the temps. This is the last year you can run BioDiesel in the Passat (new 06 Brochure says no to Bio). My car has no smoke and gobs of passing power without a downshift. We live 70 miles from the dealership. I was apprehensive about this at first, but we never need to see them. Being able to go 10,000 miles between oil changes is nice. This car has a super quiet engine. Only the new Mercedes-Benz E-Class Diesel is quieter in my experience.

Almost 600 Miles on one Tank!
By lou on 01/01/06 20:17 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

The Volkwagon Passat Wagon TDI is just the best car I have ever owned. I get almost 600 miles on one tank of gas driving at 85 mph!

Best VW I've Owned!
By TDIMichMan on 12/19/05 17:32 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I've had my '05 Passat TDI for about four months now, and I love it. I was a bit concerned that it wouldn't be as peppy as my '03 Jetta Turbo, but it has quite a bit of zip. Its passing power could be a little better though. You just have to plan ahead a little more for passing maneuvers. The back seat is huge for a car this size. The gas mileage is awesome, although it will drop in the cold weather. Also, it's a dog on cold mornings, until it gets warmed up. Overall, I can't complain. For the money, it's a very nice ride. Now I just need to get used to the funny looks I get from the truckers at the diesel pumps, and the station attendants asking me, "Um, you know that pump is diesel?"

My Passat TDI
By Lisa on 11/22/05 12:42 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I have had my 2005 Passat TDI for a little over a year now. I absolutely love it! Not only does it provide a comfortable ride and good looks, it gets awesome fuel mileage. I do a lot of driving and I fill the tank on average about every two weeks. Also, it is very roomy and has lots of trunk space.The shiftable automatic transmission is nice too. It is a great car to have.

Love It, Love It, Love It
By mypassattdi on 11/22/05 10:30 AM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I have had my Passat for a full year now and I love it even more today than I did the day I drove it home. The car is so fun to drive, so comfortable and who can complain about 36 MPG back and forth to work and 43 MPG on the highway? I absolutely love this car and it is not bad to look at either. Pretty much the only things I would change is that I would add more cupholders throughout the vehicle and the ability to completely turn off the headlights without shutting down the engine (I have to go through a guard gate to get to work and the guards yell at me all the time because I have my lights on in their faces).

Turbocharger Intermittent
By Longfellow on 11/18/05 13:30 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

To start off with, I like the styling of the 2005 Volkswagen Passat GLS TDI. I also enjoy the TDI's fuel economy. However, the Turbocharger stops working intermittently. I have had the car back to two different dealerships on five separate occasions to repair of the turbocharger. The cruise control disengages intermittently, as do the daytime running lights. I too, have experienced the inability to remove the ignition key from its slot on the steering column several times. I still do not know why that has happened. The front seats bottoms are a bit short in length and there is not much padding under the leather. You can feel the closed cell polyurethane foam that lines the seat bottom upon ingress and egress.

Excellent Car
By Chris on 10/23/05 05:37 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

This is a great vehicle. I looked at it for a year, didn't like the looks of the 2006 so purchased the 2005. I am stationed in Germany so I get to drive this US spec car on the autobahn, which is lots of fun. With 4 adults in it, I cruise at 140 KPH and get great fuel economy. You can't beat it. My car has had no defects, and has a solid build.

My first diesel car
By EDWARD, A on 10/10/05 21:59 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

The Passat TDI is a fine vehicle, with great fuel economy, I have been getting a constant 35 MPG city / highway mix. I have not taken a trip to check the highway milage yet. The fit and finnish inside and out is first class. The rear seat fold down is a bit clumsy though.