2005 Volkswagen Passat 2.0L 4-cyl. Turbo Diesel 5-speed Automatic Consumer Review - 2005 TDI Passat Wagon

2005 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Review

2005 Volkswagen Passat GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

GLS TDI Wagon (2.0L 4-cyl. Turbo Diesel 5-speed Automatic)

2005 TDI Passat Wagon
By Steve on

2005 Volkswagen Passat GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I love this car except for an experience last winter. I live in a cold enviroment. I was told the car would always start before I bought it. At minus 10, sitting outside, the car would not start. I had to have it towed to the nearest dealership. Once it warmed up it started without a problem. Everything checked out to be working correctly. I would not take the car back without an external heating device installed. The dealer put on a oil pan heater. VW Corp was contacted and asked to cover the installation. They declined to do so! I was told they would rather pay for a tow each time. What an inconvience for me. I was displeased with the customer service deptartment.

Favorite Features

The Triptonic shifting, stereo system, and good fuel economy.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the turbo lag when accelerating from a stopped position. Fix the inability to accelerate and move the car when it is first started until the transmission fluid has warmed up. The rear hatch is a pain to operate the way it is designed.