2005 Volkswagen Passat Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
So far so good
By djfllmn on 05/29/09 07:09 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

My dad purchased this car in Feb. of 2009 on the same day that I got my 2003 Ranger. I've never been much for German cars, but I'm slowly starting to like them. I read all of the reviews that mention the sludge problem. They don't change their oil frequent enough. It should be changed every 3 months or 3000 miles and you will be good to go.

love mpg, hate electronic issues
By CAgirl on 03/11/09 15:52 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have had this car for 4 years and I have had some issues with the dash mpg display, when the car is hot it's half faded, the light doesn't come on when I open the door - I have to wack it to get it on and the lights for the temp controls don't come on anymore. I have taken it in to complain about it but each time the techs tell me it was working fine for them,fog lights and headlights burnout fast. I do love the fuel efficiency, I average 37 mpg on the freeway which is great on the wallet. Leather seats little uncomfortable during a long drive. My daughter kicked off the ashtray and elec plug cover with her legs due to center carseat position. I think this will be my last passat.

no longer a vw lifer
By nyc owner on 01/08/09 18:37 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Had VWs since I was 16 and loved them all. Grew up, made some money, and went upscale. I loved this car a lot when I bought it. It's no tin can, its a solid car (reminded me of a Mercedes) with a smooth ride. So why did they cheap out on the interior with all the plastic? Then there was the overall durability. Seems that the car can't handle it's own weight, and the NYC streets killed the tires and axles. Also, the engine strained to get the behemoth moving, and I learned fast that it did not stop on a dime like a Jetta. Then, the problems. Annoying rattle in dash that VW refused to fix after 3rd attempt, Then the car's 4 faulty ignition coils, ea caused separate trips to dealer

German quality is gone for good
By sayNOtoVW on 01/08/09 09:04 AM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GL 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Was fun in the beginning. Now that the sludge problem (well known by VW, but denied - google the internet) has manifested itself the car is only driven when i know someone can come pick me up when it breaks down. After $7000 in engine repairs (all routine maintenance done on schedule by VW dealers) the car is running again but it took three trips back to the dealer to get everything fixed. "Sorry", "out of warranty", "haven't seen this problem in the 2005's are just a few of the things said by VW America and dealer. I'll never buy VW and would not recommend to anyone.

No Problems-Love it
By caz on 09/15/08 09:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

This is my 2nd Passat; I had an 03 as well and both were purchased new. I've never had any issues with either of them. The 1st had 97K on it when I sold it, my current has 80K. I'm considering waiting for the new Passat CC to come out. I prefer German cars over Japanese.

Loved it & now hate it
By thomasz on 08/24/08 10:02 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

We bought it after our 01 passat starting having problems (bottom pan fell off while on the hwy). The car is great when you do not have any issues. Our passat has been in service for repairs 12 times or more in 3 years. 4 of them I needed to be towed. Had fuel system problems, a/c went out twice (we live in Texas), check engine light blinked several times totally disabling the car (once over x-mas holiday), replaced rear axle beam due to old one bending, & now the oil pressure light came on and showing signs of sludging (found out that sludging is a big problem with the 1.8T engines) and might have to replace engine. We have drove across USA with it and it is unreliable on any type of trip.

I don't like it.
By Dissatisfied on 07/15/08 13:11 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GL 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

We bought our Passat new in 2005. Within 3 months plastic pieces began to break. We have stopped having them repaired because the new parts also break. We have had the front tires blow out twice because the car won't hold an alignment. The trunk lid has become so stiff that my wife is not able to open the trunk. Now the car is in the shop with excessive sludge buildup after we used VW for most if not all oil change service. This car has been worse quality than any other car I have ever owned.

Car is unreliable, CS is pathetic
By mminch on 03/29/08 13:28 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Have had the car three years. The first winter we had it, it did not start on 2 occasions. Both times the dealer did tow it, but could find nothing wrong. We were told misfires. On two other occasions the engine light when on, we took it in, and they told us misfires again. The battery also failed, but the dealer replaced it. The warranty recently expired and the engine light has come on, the repairs have run about $500. In total the engine light has come on at least 6 times in less then 60,000 miles. Very safe car when it starts, very unreliable. Our local dealer takes no accountability, their favorite sayings are "I'm sorry" and "I don't know" when I ask what I can do.

I own two
By Aldo Waker on 11/16/07 13:07 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GL 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I own a plain vanilla GL sedan and a GLS wagon with upgraded 17 inch tires. Overall, both are good performing cars. Have never had a mechanical problem. The wagon is a great ride on the highway and the sedan is easier in the city. Handles well and good fuel economy. I wish the seats were a little bigger/wider. I'm 6 feet and 200 lbs and have sat in much more comfortable cars. Having said that, the interior is pretty roomy for a small car. Can seat 4 comfortably. There is a bit of turbo lag on the when you you want to accelerate which can be frustrating. Once it kicks in, it is pretty quick. They are very fun to drive. Trunk/rear space is excellent.

There Really Is A Difference
By Jaimito on 07/27/06 07:44 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GL 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

If you are all about fuel economy, performance, and safety I am not sure what other choice in this price class you have. The stereo has surprising capability, remember this is a base model. The air conditioning works great and when you need a little get up and go this car never disappoints. My fuel economy for highway ranges in the mid-twenties. That's only because I have a tendency to punch it a little. I have the leatherette seating and with kids I think it is a must have. This car offers a better range of view then other Veedub models. I like being a little different not pulling up to the party in a Toyota. Oh, and so far my car has had no problems!