2005 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
There is a reason for the short warranty
By Bill on 10/20/09 18:24 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I purchased 2 used VW prior. No issues with them. Finally got my brand new wagon. Love the performance and style. Hate all the issues. I am selling it and not sure what the replacement will be. I have spent more money out of pocket in 4 years on this car than my 10 year old Ford Taurus... by a lot. If VW extended its warranty greater than 36 months, the company would go under with the extra cost. I have contacted VW of America several times and my complaints fell on deaf ears. If you are reviewing for potentially buying a VW, don't buy one.

Really Durable with V6 and manual.
By VWall the time on 04/13/09 06:36 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLX Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

This is my 2nd Passat; 1999 V6 5-speed Sedan was amazing for 10 years and 140k miles. Despite hard use, reliability was excellent(6,000+ revs common; 50/50 highway/backroads; fast cornering; some rough roads; stored for long periods). The timing belt was expensive, replaced radiator at the same time since front of the car has to be dismantled. Also had to replace control arms/bushings and CV joints. Valve cover gasket prone to leaking. Cracked oil pan 2x on steep driveways/bumps (likely somewhat my fault due to 1/2-inch lower European suspension springs). AC conked out in year 9. Still has original clutch. My other cars are BMW M3s which I race - but can't sell VW, I like it too much!

Maybe I should have let it burn.
By New Milford on 03/04/09 15:25 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought the car as a leftover. Within 2000 miles coil pack burned out. Fire self-extinguished. 3 out of 4 Continental tires had tread separation. Transmission failed at 64,000. (VW ate approx $4,000.00 of cost, we paid about $1,000.00) The car is extremely expensive to maintain. New timing belt, waterpump, belt tensioner, thermostat. Cost: over $1100.00.

2005 Passat GLX Wagon Experience
By ZoomZoom718 on 05/06/06 05:09 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLX Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

After looking at a variety of upscale wagons (Mercedes-Benz C-Class, Jaguar X-Type, Volvo, Audi, and VW Passat), we chose the VW. The Passat handles well, accelerates smoothly and the interior appointments are on par with the finest luxury wagons. The heated leather seats are incredibly comfortable. Its cargo space is more than adequate for shopping trips or travel. The rear passenger seating and leg room are great and you can actually fit three adults in the backseat. The GLX trim comes with a Monsoon stereo system that puts the Bose system we had in our former car to shame.

Solid Performer
By FrankB on 12/22/05 20:09 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GL 1.8T Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The 2005 Volkswagen Passat GL 1.8T is an excellent all around alternative to a minivan. It performs like a sports sedan. It has good leg and head room and great rear cargo space. The 5-speed manual transmission is fun to drive.

Junk
By Bud on 12/15/05 01:55 AM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Do not buy the Volkswagen Passat. I've owned mine for ten months now and it's been in and out of the dealership for a total of about two months. My problems started three months after I bought this car. I'm plagued with electrical problems and powertrain problems. The dealership and Volkswagen say there is nothing wrong with my car, yet I have to take it back at least once a month because it doesn't run. When I ask about them taking this lemon off my hands both the dealer and VW tell me to take a hike. I am fed up and wouldn't wish this auto on my worst enemy. Whatever you do, do not buy a VW. Save your money and sanity and buy something else!

Great little car and fun to drive
By Otto on 12/05/05 08:17 AM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I am very happy with my Passat wagon. It is nimble and a blast to drive thanks to great handling. The turbo motor lacks low end torque, but once you put your foot into it, the car has enough power to get you in and out of trouble. Its highway mileage is also a real plus, but the 91 octane requirement means you need premium fuel. It has good cargo room for its class and the high roof helps out here. The fit and finish are also very good. The interior is austere but very well done, but the glovebox is the only real storage space.

Excellent Value
By peony on 11/14/05 19:12 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLX 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

So far so good! My 2005 Volkswagen Passat GLX 4Motion has very nice handling for a non-sport wagon and is much quieter than my old Subaru Outback. It also has a smoother ride and a way higher level of interior comfort.

Awesome wagon
By Michael on 11/01/05 08:22 AM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This wagon is a blast to drive - it gets 4-cylinder gas mileage when you want it and has turbo power when you need it. It has lots of cargo space and comfortable seating for 5 passengers.

2005 Volkswagen Passat GLS
By skip on 09/06/05 22:47 PM (PDT)

My 2005 Volkswagen Passat has a great ride. We have the 4Motion GLS model and we are pleased with the whole car, but wish the gas milage was better than 27 to 28 miles to gallon highway, but for an all wheel drive it's fair on gas.