Used 2005 Volkswagen Passat Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

There is a reason for the short warranty
By Bill

2005 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I purchased 2 used VW prior. No issues with them. Finally got my brand new wagon. Love the performance and style. Hate all the issues. I am selling it and not sure what the replacement will be. I have spent more money out of pocket in 4 years on this car than my 10 year old Ford Taurus... by a lot. If VW extended its warranty greater than 36 months, the company would go under with the extra cost. I have contacted VW of America several times and my complaints fell on deaf ears. If you are reviewing for potentially buying a VW, don't buy one.

Love the room of the wagon. I can not count how many times I have filled it. Love the performance and mileage of the 1.8T. The car enjoys corners. With the black and 17 inch spoke wheels, the car is shape sitting still. I have done several 12 hour road trips and could have drove longer.

Too many problems. Oil sludge that was not covered under warranty. 2 coil packs failed during a cold October night driving home with the kids... under warranty but still a headache. A couple electrical issues. Window pin fell out $200 fix. Noise in the front end the Tech can not find.

Really Durable with V6 and manual.
By VWall the time

2005 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLX Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

This is my 2nd Passat; 1999 V6 5-speed Sedan was amazing for 10 years and 140k miles. Despite hard use, reliability was excellent(6,000+ revs common; 50/50 highway/backroads; fast cornering; some rough roads; stored for long periods). The timing belt was expensive, replaced radiator at the same time since front of the car has to be dismantled. Also had to replace control arms/bushings and CV joints. Valve cover gasket prone to leaking. Cracked oil pan 2x on steep driveways/bumps (likely somewhat my fault due to 1/2-inch lower European suspension springs). AC conked out in year 9. Still has original clutch. My other cars are BMW M3s which I race - but can't sell VW, I like it too much!

Handling, comfort, roomy trunk. Excellent reliability given usage. I have stock car except for European Sport Springs.

Better access for repairs to reduce high repair labor hours. Make European suspension a USA option.

Maybe I should have let it burn.
By New Milford

2005 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought the car as a leftover. Within 2000 miles coil pack burned out. Fire self-extinguished. 3 out of 4 Continental tires had tread separation. Transmission failed at 64,000. (VW ate approx $4,000.00 of cost, we paid about $1,000.00) The car is extremely expensive to maintain. New timing belt, waterpump, belt tensioner, thermostat. Cost: over $1100.00.

Very comfortable car to drive, heated seats are tremendous. AWD is terrific in snow and rain.

VW has some very poor design issues. For instance, timing belt should be replaced with a chain. Otherwise, make it easier to replace the belt without having to remove most of the front to the car!

2005 Passat GLX Wagon Experience
By ZoomZoom718

2005 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLX Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

After looking at a variety of upscale wagons (Mercedes-Benz C-Class, Jaguar X-Type, Volvo, Audi, and VW Passat), we chose the VW. The Passat handles well, accelerates smoothly and the interior appointments are on par with the finest luxury wagons. The heated leather seats are incredibly comfortable. Its cargo space is more than adequate for shopping trips or travel. The rear passenger seating and leg room are great and you can actually fit three adults in the backseat. The GLX trim comes with a Monsoon stereo system that puts the Bose system we had in our former car to shame.

The Tiptronic transmission allows me to shift gears at higher RPM, turning an otherwise boring trip to the mall into a road rally. Memory seats are great given the fact I'm 6'2" and my wife is 5'7". Monsoon stereo is amazing, with the 8-speakers positioned perfectly inside a very quiet cabin.

The car suits our needs for a luxury wagon with great features and performance. For those who want German engineering and European style, this is a great choice. However, this car will disappoint those who purchase a car purely for the approval of others. Buy a Benz or BMW if your ego requires it.

Solid Performer
By FrankB

2005 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GL 1.8T Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The 2005 Volkswagen Passat GL 1.8T is an excellent all around alternative to a minivan. It performs like a sports sedan. It has good leg and head room and great rear cargo space. The 5-speed manual transmission is fun to drive.

The heated seats,sunroof, stereo, AC, and driving performance.

Better in-town gas mileage. Also, the ability to use regular fuel at current fuel prices would be helpful.