Used 2005 Volkswagen Passat Diesel Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

Great Car But.....
By jtmma

2005 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GL TDI Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

Purchased this car in 2010 with 67,000KM from VW as a pre-owned certified vehicle with a 40,000KM or 2 year bumper to bumper warranty. It has been exceptional for me during this time. I am now at 200,000KM and have serviced it regularly as required. I still enjoy the drive as I commute up to 2-3 hours daily doing sales. However, just had a major recent issue. My transmission quit completely out of nowhere. It is a self sealed unit and very difficult to service, nor does it say it requires any routine maintenance. This is a $4500 issue to get a factory repaired/replaced transmission from VW. Luckily I had a friend who rebuilt and swapped it for considerably less.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy is excellent for the age, size and weight of this car. Diesel engine pulls very well, tons of torque. Handles quite well in the snow. Comfortable interior gets the job done, even after years of driving.

Suggested Improvements

-CV boots and joints are prone to wear. -Transmission can have major issues after the 150,000km mark -Seat material is not breathable and makes your back sweat profusely -Minor electrical issues could be addressed Overall, I would buy this vehicle again and recommend it.

TDI Wagon Still Strong
By ScottM

2005 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GL TDI Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I wrote my last review of my wagon almost 2 years ago. My car now has 55K miles and is better than ever. Since the stock suspension is very wallowy I replaced the shocks & springs @ 50K with H&R springs and Bilstein shocks from the Tire Rack. Wow, feels like driving a brand new A6. A worn CV boot was found and replaced during suspension work. Thats it, no other problems. This car had the Upsolute ECU reflash done to it over two years ago and not a single problem. It adds an extra 30HP and 50ft-lbs torque. This thing pulls like a freight train and gets 38 MPG on long trips. Replaced stock stereo which stinks with a $250 (installed!) Sony from Best Buy. Way better even w/ stock speakers.

Favorite Features

300 ft-lbs of torque from Upsolute ECU reflash. Amazing feel of the H&R springs and Bilstein shocks. Compliant but firm and paired beautifully to the motor and chassis. Great MPG. Lots of room for kids and stuff. Great exterior styling. Interior stying is always good in VW/Audi no matter what model.

Suggested Improvements

Some plastic surfaces peeling. Tan interior not good with kids. Ages poorly and stains easilly. Work on interior electrical.

2005 TDI Owner
By rw

2005 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

Up to 2009 car was great. Volkswagon decided to recall att TDI models for a R8 recall for the glow plugs. Being on top of recalls brought car in for recall and had it done in the spring time period. Well summer went by and winter was setting in (getting colder) my wife started complaining that the car was hard to start sometimes. I of course egnored it till I drove it. Well the problems with the dealership and Volkswagon began. Called Volkswagon direct and knotified them of a possible problem with thier recall. Brought it in and more than 6 months later. I got my car back with original plugs and waiting for volkswagon to find a glow plug that will replace problem plugs. Good luck to tdi owne

Suggested Improvements

Get engineers that can fix the problems on the TDI's. As they told me the original glow plugs may fail and destroy your heads on the car if not addressed. Volkswagon is still working on a fix. So far the manufacturer paid 6 months rental and 2 heads for my car.

Do Not Make the Same Mistake I Did!
By SCOTT

2005 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I purchased my 05 Passat TDI due to an increase in my daily commute and was sold on VW's diesel reputation for reliability and economy. After several warranty items were addressed(power window switches, bulbs, door seals, ext. brightwork, antenna, MAF and turbo sensor, battery) I wasn't too confident in the car. Despite my constant engine maintenance(oil change 8000 km with correct oil)the camshaft failed at 122km.($2400 repair) At 131km the oil pump chain tensioner failed.($1200 repair) All parts replaced with VW orig parts, not upgraded or any defects corrected. VW Cda had no interest in answering my calls, letters or questions. Now my fuel economy has dropped to mid 20's for some reason.

Favorite Features

The local VW dealership has a great waiting room and associates are very friendly. I love how the car drives and handles when running and is very good in the snow. Except deep snow will tear out the engine belly pan. ($400 plus install) Quiet to drive with the sunroof open at 120 km/hr.

Suggested Improvements

VW must stand behind their products, admit engineering errors and correct faults. My car was OK under warranty if the dealership had loaners available. My most recent loaner was an 01 jetta wagon with 343 km, original engine and transmission. Sadly mine is very unreliable and disappointing.

Best VW yet
By MichiganVW

2005 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

We have owned a bug (1972), Jetta (1987) and Golf (1995), and this Passat (2005). This car was picked by my wife with automatic, but the TDI was my idea. I was slow to warm to this car. Too fancy for my taste. But as time goes on, this car is becoming my favorite sedan. Solid build, no mechanical problems at all, and an ultimate highway ride (with 38-40 mpg!). The planets lined up right for the 2005 Passat TDI. Can't wait for my next VW TDI. I'm hooked.

Favorite Features

Solid chassis, firm highway ride, Bridgestone upgrade tires, decent stereo system, diesel mileage, gentle diesel rumble!

Suggested Improvements

Increase hp and torque just a bit. Replace oem tires from Michelin to Bridgestone