2005 Volkswagen Passat Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
Great Car But.....
By jtmma on 06/22/13 06:33 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GL TDI Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

Purchased this car in 2010 with 67,000KM from VW as a pre-owned certified vehicle with a 40,000KM or 2 year bumper to bumper warranty. It has been exceptional for me during this time. I am now at 200,000KM and have serviced it regularly as required. I still enjoy the drive as I commute up to 2-3 hours daily doing sales. However, just had a major recent issue. My transmission quit completely out of nowhere. It is a self sealed unit and very difficult to service, nor does it say it requires any routine maintenance. This is a $4500 issue to get a factory repaired/replaced transmission from VW. Luckily I had a friend who rebuilt and swapped it for considerably less.

TDI Wagon Still Strong
By ScottM on 11/19/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GL TDI Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I wrote my last review of my wagon almost 2 years ago. My car now has 55K miles and is better than ever. Since the stock suspension is very wallowy I replaced the shocks & springs @ 50K with H&R springs and Bilstein shocks from the Tire Rack. Wow, feels like driving a brand new A6. A worn CV boot was found and replaced during suspension work. Thats it, no other problems. This car had the Upsolute ECU reflash done to it over two years ago and not a single problem. It adds an extra 30HP and 50ft-lbs torque. This thing pulls like a freight train and gets 38 MPG on long trips. Replaced stock stereo which stinks with a $250 (installed!) Sony from Best Buy. Way better even w/ stock speakers.

2005 TDI Owner
By rw on 10/06/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

Up to 2009 car was great. Volkswagon decided to recall att TDI models for a R8 recall for the glow plugs. Being on top of recalls brought car in for recall and had it done in the spring time period. Well summer went by and winter was setting in (getting colder) my wife started complaining that the car was hard to start sometimes. I of course egnored it till I drove it. Well the problems with the dealership and Volkswagon began. Called Volkswagon direct and knotified them of a possible problem with thier recall. Brought it in and more than 6 months later. I got my car back with original plugs and waiting for volkswagon to find a glow plug that will replace problem plugs. Good luck to tdi owne

Do Not Make the Same Mistake I Did!
By SCOTT on 06/11/10 18:52 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I purchased my 05 Passat TDI due to an increase in my daily commute and was sold on VW's diesel reputation for reliability and economy. After several warranty items were addressed(power window switches, bulbs, door seals, ext. brightwork, antenna, MAF and turbo sensor, battery) I wasn't too confident in the car. Despite my constant engine maintenance(oil change 8000 km with correct oil)the camshaft failed at 122km.($2400 repair) At 131km the oil pump chain tensioner failed.($1200 repair) All parts replaced with VW orig parts, not upgraded or any defects corrected. VW Cda had no interest in answering my calls, letters or questions. Now my fuel economy has dropped to mid 20's for some reason.

Best VW yet
By MichiganVW on 03/04/10 17:24 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

We have owned a bug (1972), Jetta (1987) and Golf (1995), and this Passat (2005). This car was picked by my wife with automatic, but the TDI was my idea. I was slow to warm to this car. Too fancy for my taste. But as time goes on, this car is becoming my favorite sedan. Solid build, no mechanical problems at all, and an ultimate highway ride (with 38-40 mpg!). The planets lined up right for the 2005 Passat TDI. Can't wait for my next VW TDI. I'm hooked.

Test Drove them ALL - VW Wins
By Herr Schmidt on 10/25/09 18:14 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

This is the first new car my wife and I ever bought. As it is 'her' car, I had her test drive every possible car on the market, from GM's to BMW's. Family to sports cars. She said she wanted the VW Passat TDI. I went with her and took it for a drive. Roomy and handles like a sports car. Excellent brakes, excellent everything. Now have 100k on the car and not even a hint of anything wrong. We will keep this one until we can't drive any longer.....in about 20 years!!

So far, so good
By Mary Anne on 08/07/09 14:17 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

This little guy keeps on going. I love the styling, comfort(with a "c" not a "k"), gas mileage, interior room. I looked at a BMW before I purchased this and it definitely had more bells and whistles. I LOVE the heated seats. The ride is comfortable. It has it's issues, but they have been covered under the warranty. Fun to drive!

Solid Car so Far.
By V-DUB on 05/29/09 14:54 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

So far this diesel has been an unbelievable purchase. I wanted to give it a month or so before I reported on anything. I bought the car used with 122 000 KMS on it. I had the timing belt replaced as well as the transmission oil changed and a new fuel filter so there would be know surprizes. I gotta tell anybody who is reading these reviews.....everything I have read about this Passat TDI is bang on correct. This is the smoothest car I have ever driven, very similar to the Audi A4, excellent on fuel, just PURE enjoyable. I am averaging 45 miles to the gallon or 6.4L/100KMS and better on long trips. I have now owned 5 diesels this is the best so far.

TDI Passat is fantastic
By Scott M on 02/01/09 21:21 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GL TDI Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I have owned many VWs. GTIs, Rabbits, Busses and Cabrios. I bought the TDI Passat as a knee jerk reaction to the fuel crisis of 08. Let me just say this is my favorite VW of all. We dumped a Ford Expedition to get this and I only lost maybe 25% usable space. I get 28-35 MPG in the city and 38 on long highway trips. The first thing I did when I bought it was have the software reflashed with an Upsolute package for $450. I now have 50 more ft/lbs of torque and 30 more HP. Undetectable by the dealer, doesn't affect reliability, huge difference on the road. Best $450 you will ever spend. If you want a solid family sized car that is fun to drive that looks good and gets good mileage...Passat TDI!

like it
By bertly on 03/19/08 17:36 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Diesel GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

Overall good. Great price, mileage. Fun to drive and comfortable. Good road feel and handling. Has a strong and stable feel to it.