Used 2005 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Reviews - 166 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

2005 Volkswagen Passat

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

Great auto
By James hansel

2005 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Great auto

Very Fine Automobile
By Dennis J

2005 Volkswagen Passat GL TDI Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I bought my 2005 GLS TDI new after test driving a base gas model. At the time, the gas and diesel models were the same price, the diesel mileage was far superior, and the cost of diesel was quite a bit less than gasoline so this was a no-brainer. Now, diesel is often more expensive than gasoline, and sometimes even 15-20% more, so the diesel advantage is not what it once was. Still, I like being able to go almost 600 miles on a fillup, and I love the power, reliability and longevity of this engine. I have 175,000 miles on my Passat and have not had a single repair bill outside of scheduled maintenance. The most expensive maintenance is the timing belt replacement every 80-100K miles. The car has excellent pickup, not as peppy as the gasoline Passat, but much better than most cars that I've driven, including V8s. The 10,000 mile interval for the synthetic oil change offsets the higher costs associated with changing the oil. This service, like most, is best performed by the owner, the dealer, or a shop specializing in German autos. Maintenance costs are slightly more expensive and servicing establishments more limited than Japanese, American, Korean or other cars, but the Passat spends very little time in the shop. I think that this has been an extremely economical car, but it drives as well or better than cars costing quite a bit more to purchase or maintain.

TDi 2005 Wagon
By John batt

2005 Volkswagen Passat GL TDI Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

Best used car I have ever owned. Had it for over six years now I just had my first problem and it's the AC. Hoping it's just freon. I was looking into perhaps buying a new TDI wagon and they are smaller. Love my 05. Great power, smooth handling, keeps up with anything on the road. Rear seat room is far greater than the Jetta or Golf wagon.

Extensive Repairs All The Time.
By Jerry Balat

2005 Volkswagen Passat GL 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I purchased a used 2005 Volkswagen Passat in 2011, with just about 107k miles on it. Being a VW I expected repairs in the years to come, but not the frequency that I experienced. In less then 5 years of owning this car, I have spent over 6K in car repairs. Its one thing to fix normal wear and tear, such as replacing breaks, and worn out tires, but to replace the engine mounts, hinges on the trunk, the window panel,screws on the door which somehow fell off, replaced the air pump which had water in it, work done on the sunroof which seemed to have issues closing, exhaust problems in the car, the temperature Gage which broke, and the hood rod. Basically one after another. I have never owned a car with this much constant repair issues. Probably worse car I have owned, and best decision was to discard this car, which I should have done years ago.

Great Car But.....
By jtmma

2005 Volkswagen Passat GL TDI Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

Purchased this car in 2010 with 67,000KM from VW as a pre-owned certified vehicle with a 40,000KM or 2 year bumper to bumper warranty. It has been exceptional for me during this time. I am now at 200,000KM and have serviced it regularly as required. I still enjoy the drive as I commute up to 2-3 hours daily doing sales.

However, just had a major recent issue. My transmission quit completely out of nowhere. It is a self sealed unit and very difficult to service, nor does it say it requires any routine maintenance. This is a $4500 issue to get a factory repaired/replaced transmission from VW. Luckily I had a friend who rebuilt and swapped it for considerably less.

Fuel economy is excellent for the age, size and weight of this car. Diesel engine pulls very well, tons of torque. Handles quite well in the snow. Comfortable interior gets the job done, even after years of driving.

-CV boots and joints are prone to wear. -Transmission can have major issues after the 150,000km mark -Seat material is not breathable and makes your back sweat profusely -Minor electrical issues could be addressed Overall, I would buy this vehicle again and recommend it.