Stylish, Practical, Loads of Fun
By miran on
2004 Volkswagen Passat GLX 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)
This is the first wagon I've owned after over 20 years of driving Japanese sedans. Many years ago, a station wagon purchase was unthinkable because of the image; now, the requirements of job and family make it necessary. But who'd have thought that this would be one of the most enjoyable vehicles I've ever driven? It's fast, extremely stylish, the interior has loads of helpful automation, and drives so beautifully that even my practical wife ditches her Toyota Sienna and sneaks out with the VW when I'm not driving it. And though I've never associated wagons with a stylish exterior look, I'm surprised at how many strangers have made favorable comments.
Favorite Features
Overall driveability (smooth and luxurious at slow speeds, zippy and comfortable at high speeds), dashboard lights and controls, internal and external aesthetics are top notch. Rear passenger room and trunk space compare very favorably to other vans I evaluated.
Suggested Improvements
Massive gap between feature sets for basic and high end wagons -- I put out the extra for the GLX, and as much as I love leather seats, sunroof and other amenities, I didn't need it all and wished I didn't have to pay for it all. But those craving 6 cylinders and AWD have no choice.