So Bad We are Selling It After 15,000 Miles
By Dave Melichar on
2004 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)
We have had this car for a bit over two years and it has been in the shop five times. The windows have stopped working twice, ocassionally the sunroof will refuse to close, there are pieces falling off in the engine compartment, the dash squeeks (the dealer refuses to even acknowlege it is an issue), the console cover would not close completely and the radio has been replaced twice. We have a two year old who when playing with the vents was able to break the vent louvers with one finger. You would think a car designed for a family would be robust enough to survive the two year old one finger inspection. All this in 15,000 miles. This is not what I would call a well designed car.
Favorite Features
The heated seats, how it is so fun to drive, how it is great in the snow (4Motion with snow tires), and its gas mileage is good on the open road if you keep the speed down (32 mpg).
Suggested Improvements
Improve the quality control. My VW dealer has been the worst experience I have had with a car. This car has been a lemon for us and after owning five other VW's, all with good luck up to 250,000 miles, I won't own another Volkswagen.