Best vehicle I ever owned
By paulinthesouth on
2004 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)
Reading review after negative review I wonder whether I was just lucky, or whether my experience is more representative of the norm. My Passat was totalled last summer when a tree blown over by a storm crushed my garage (of course the Passat was in the garage). My experience? 95,000 miles with only 2 service matters. Fuel pump failed at 88,000. Parts and labor < $300. Replaced one CV boot at same time as a precaution. Parts and Labor also about $300. That's it. Outstanding performance and handling. Understated but elegant interior. Good ergonomics. Seats were firm but wonderful for long trips.
Favorite Features
5 speed stick combined with rev range and torque band. Agile handling. Monsoon stereo. Consistent 31-32 mpg cross-country at 75 + mph. Confident handling extended well past 100 mph. Value. Excluding 0 - 60 times, there might have been an outer 10% highway performance envelope of what a 3 series could do that the Passat couldn't match, but that was outside of anything I would have the stones to do, anyway. Thank the stars there weren't any police around during some of the back road cross-country flights I made in my Passat.