2004 Volkswagen Passat 1.8L 4-cyl. Turbo 5-speed Manual Consumer Review - Upscale performace with horrible reliablity

2004 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Review

GLS 1.8T Sedan (1.8L 4-cyl. Turbo 5-speed Manual)

Upscale performace with horrible reliablity
By roznstyle on

2004 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Purchased the vehicle brand new in 2/04. Followed the recomended mantenance religiouly. In the years I've owned the vehicle I was left stranded 4 times and needed to be towed to a garrage. Tow #1 60K miles. Water pump (make of PLASTIC) failed causing the engine to overheat. Tow #2 75K miles. Fuel Pump failure. Tow #3 100K miles. car would not start. Brand new spark plugs were dirty and needed to be cleaned. Simple issue is a major problem when stranded. Tow #4 120K miles. water pump (Aagain!) after inspection, we needed, new water pump, timing belt, tensioners, cam seal, aux fan, main fan bearing, new belts, to the tune of 2K from a reputable 3rd party VW mechanic. Never Again VW!

Favorite Features

Exterior and paint still look brand new after almost 9 years. Car floats like a cloud when on the highway. Ride quality is comparible to a luxury vehicle or at least something upscale like Acura or Infinity. Solid factory sound system and great attention to detail on the interior.

Suggested Improvements

Reliablity! Prior to owning my VW, I had a 1997 Civic that I drove for 175K miles with zero issues. Better headlight lenses. They fog up like no other vehicle I've seen on the road. Better engine compartment design. I have to remove parts of the engine to change the airfilter. Every other car on planet earth has the airbox front and center so any novice can replace it. I cannot understand how VW can have any sort of customer loyalty when your read the counless horror stories of things that go wrong with their cars and the massive amount of money to fix them.